Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:06 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
As of 2010:

Greater Houston - 1,025,775
DFW - 961,871

In raw numbers, the difference clearly isn't that drastic. The distinction to be made is that the Houston area's black population has pretty much always been considered more progressive and is anchored by two major HBCUs.
Nice thanks for that info. I know at one point DFW was second to Atlanta in the number of new black residents. I wonder if that's still the case today?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:36 PM

311 posts, read 450,884 times
This article would be relevant to you: Why Young Black Professionals Are Wary of Dallas - D Magazine

From my experience, though I'm not black, Houston is more welcoming of different cultures, food, languages, etc. than Dallas. Consider this, Dallas is a mere couple hours away from Oklahoma, which is one of the most conservative states in the US, and also typically one demographic.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:00 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallahoohoo View Post
This article would be relevant to you: Why Young Black Professionals Are Wary of Dallas - D Magazine

From my experience, though I'm not black, Houston is more welcoming of different cultures, food, languages, etc. than Dallas. Consider this, Dallas is a mere couple hours away from Oklahoma, which is one of the most conservative states in the US, and also typically one demographic.
I honestly don't think you know much about this area.

The Dallas area is extremely welcoming of any culture. Also, there is not one kind of food you cannot get here and not many languages not spoken here. It may not be quite as diverse as Greater Houston, but it easily one of the top 10 most diverse metro areas in the country.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:05 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:

I'm black and I live in Dallas...your post is ignorant

What does being close to Oklahoma have to do with anything? Heck, Texas is one of the most conservative states in America...if we were basing it off of that, Texas would win. Dallas County is a democratic county and is very diverse. I hope you don't think Dallas County is majority Anglo.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:54 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,396 times
Quote:

Ridiculous.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:37 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
I do think walla is onto something. Think of the differences between Oklahoma and Louisiana, and that will help explain the differences between Dallas and Houston.

Oklahoma City or New Orleans. Take your pick.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:11 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I do think walla is onto something. Think of the differences between Oklahoma and Louisiana, and that will help explain the differences between Dallas and Houston.

Oklahoma City or New Orleans. Take your pick.
Id rather be close to the mountains of East Oklahoma than the swamps of South Louisiana but thats just me...

Old 02-16-2014, 11:44 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
As a black male living in DFW who's from the DMV and also lived in Atlanta for a decade, I think much of the D Magazine article is garbage. I understand and agree with the underlying theme that the Metroplex and, more importantly, the existing black community should make a more concerted effort to create an environment that's more conducive in developing, attracting and retaining homegrown and migrant black professionals to the area. Basically, there needs to be a better support system in place.

That said, it seems like the biggest problems of the people interviewed in the article were that they felt the area's black social and networking scenes were lacking.

Why does it seem like a young white professional can move to the middle of Utah and a few years later there's a Starbucks, Whole Foods, music festival, plans for loft apartments and Forbes identifies the area as "America's next hip place". But, a couple of YBP's from the Northeast move to the nation's 4th largest metro area with a top 10 largest black population also one of the nation's fastest growing black populations and they still couldn't make it work out for themselves.

DFW is definitely not as black progressive as cities like DC, NYC, Chicago or Atlanta. My thoughts are though, even with the issues that need to be addressed, the resources are there to be successful.

The 10 Best Cities To Raise African-American Families « MadameNoire MadameNoire

Bauce Magazine » A self-help site for multicultural women7 Best Cities for Young Black Professionals » Bauce Magazine

The Top Ten Cities for African Americans July's Black Enterprise Reveals Where... -- re> NEW YORK, June 21 /PRNewswire/ --

10 Best Cities For-Black Women

Strong diversity policies nurture black-owned businesses | theGrio

http://sf-moh.org/Modules/ShowDocume...documentid=333

Old 02-16-2014, 11:52 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I've heard the black population comparison before, but I've always been curious what that actual population difference is. Anyone have info on that?
There's about a 70,000 difference. Houston is more popular for Blacks but DFW has attracted more Blacks than any metro outside Atlanta since 1990 and in fact, so far, Dallas is second once again this decade. Dallas seems to be a very popular spot for Midwesterners.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:26 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,656 times
Either city would be fine, but I agree with other posters as far as the black/minority presence. For nightlife/culture offerings, Houston for sure. Good Luck with your search OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas