Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 07:24 PM
TXT

165 posts, read 238,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Here it is. Per the 2012 ACS data:

Foreign born African population:

Dallas: 107,858
Houston: 72,084

Immigrants from African in 2011:

Dallas: 3,863
Houston: 3,038

Immigrants from Africa in 2012:

Dallas: 4,208
Houston: 3,511

Yearbook of Immigration Statistics: 2012 Legal Permanent Residents | Homeland Security

https://www.census.gov/acs/www/

As for your last remark, "remember this is Dallas vs. Houston", because Houston is twice the size of Dallas in both people and land area there is more of everything in Houston including white people. However on a metro area scale, even without Fort Worth, Dallas has more Africans (again not African Americans) than Houston.
These numbers are a farce, as the numbers for Dallas are metropolitan. Morever, the AA's are not included and Houston has a larger AA population vs. Dallas. Don't go crying about the size of Houston...if you want to go up against Houston: it is what it is. Don't go run off to get Dallas metro and DFW crutches.

At the end of the day there are more blacks in Houston vs. Dallas in every way (City, County, Metro, etc...) The moral to the story is that: Houston does not need Greater Houston to compete vs. Dallas...but Dallas needs DFW to compete vs. Houston. That says it all.

This is Dallas vs. Houston: plain and simple (and we ALL know who wins). Next Thread!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:32 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXT View Post
These numbers are a farce, as the numbers for Dallas are metropolitan. Morever, the AA's are not included and Houston has a larger AA population vs. Dallas. Don't go crying about the size of Houston...if you want to go up against Houston: it is what it is. Don't go run off to get Dallas metro and DFW crutches.

At the end of the day there are more blacks in Houston vs. Dallas in every way (City, County, Metro, etc...) The moral to the story is that: Houston does not need Greater Houston to compete vs. Dallas...but Dallas needs DFW to compete vs. Houston. That says it all.

This is Dallas vs. Houston: plain and simple (and we ALL know who wins). Next Thread!
No, the numbers aren't a farce. All I said was that there were more foreign born Africans and first generation Africans in Dallas than Houston. Thats a fact. I said from the get go that there were more African Americans in Houston. Given that there are almost 40k more Africans in Dallas, there would have to be about 100k more African Americans in Houston to make up the difference to their current standings. Dallas certainly does not need Fort Worth to have a larger foreign born African population than Houston. It does that on its own.

As for the other gibberish in your post, Im not going to take the bait. I like both cities very much so I don't feel the need to argue about which is better. I like them both about equally. Ill sleep well knowing that everything I said was fully factual and isn't up for debate.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:41 PM
TXT

165 posts, read 238,434 times
Default Houston vs. Dallas

Quote:
No, the numbers aren't a farce. All I said was that there were more foreign born Africans and first generation Africans in Dallas than Houston. Thats a fact. I said from the get go that there were more African Americans in Houston. Given that there are almost 40k more Africans in Dallas, there would have to be about 100k more African Americans in Houston to make up the difference to their current standings. Dallas certainly does not need Fort Worth to have a larger foreign born African population than Houston. It does that on its own.

As for the other mindless gibberish in your post, Im not going to take the bait. I like both cities very much. Ill sleep well knowing that everything I said was fully factual and isn't up for debate.
No Sir the Dallas numbers are metro vs. Houston (City)...Fair enough sleep tight...we ALL know the truth: that there are more blacks in Houston vs. Dallas.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXT View Post
No Sir the Dallas numbers are metro vs. Houston (City)...Fair enough sleep tight...we ALL know the truth: that there are more blacks in Houston vs. Dallas.
What, no. The numbers are Dallas metro vs. Houston metro. The number I presented are NOT Dallas metro vs. Houston city. Those numbers are an apples to apples comparison. I can't believe Im having to repeat this, but whatever. THERE ARE MORE FOREIGN BORN AFRICANS AND 1ST GENERATION AFRICANS AND FIRST GENERATION AFRICANS IN DALLAS. THERE ARE MORE AFRICAN AMERICANS IN HOUSTON. Try hard to comprehend that.

By the way, go back to any of my posts where I say that there are more black people in Dallas as opposed to Houston. I do believe I was pretty open about there being more black overall in Houston as I said two posts ago:

"Given that there are almost 40k more Africans in Dallas, there would have to be about 100k more African Americans in Houston to make up the difference to their current standings."

Old 02-17-2014, 08:25 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Given that there are almost 40k more Africans in Dallas, there would have to be about 100k more African Americans in Houston to make up the difference to their current standings.
I don't get what you mean by this.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I don't get what you mean by this.
I mean that these are the numbers you provided for the total black populations of both:

Greater Houston - 1,025,775
DFW - 961,871

This is a difference of about 65,000 more black residents in Houston.

Based on that, we've also established that Dallas has about 40,000 more foreign born and first generation Africans. That means there has to be about 105,000 more African Americans in Greater Houston. I say this because a further dig of the data show the black hispanic population of both to be similar in size.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:43 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Houston has more Blacks, Africans, or African Americans any way you dice it.

Nothing against Dallas, but North Texas in general is more White than Southeast Texas. Its also less racially integrated as depicted on this map. D/FW is very segregated compared to Houston. You could pretty much get a knife & carve 4 straight lines with D/FW. In Houston its more like a puzzle.

The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 02-17-2014 at 08:59 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has more Blacks, Africans, or African Americans any way you dice it.

Nothing against Dallas, but North Texas in general is more White than Southeast Texas.
Houston has more Blacks and African Americans. Dallas has more Africans. Thats already been established and its not up for debate. Its fact.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I mean that these are the numbers you provided for the total black populations of both:

DFW - 961,871

Based on that, we've also established that Dallas has about 40,000 more foreign born and first generation Africans. That means there has to be about 105,000 more African Americans in Greater Houston. I say this because a further dig of the data show the black hispanic population of both to be similar in size.
I still don't get it. I think I'm just having a brain fart right now.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:

DFW - 961,871

I see what you're saying now, but it may not be correct. Remember that I pointed out that all African immigrants may not be black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas