Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:14 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I dont disagree with everything you are saying Grindin, but I do have to say you are making a few pretty sweeping generalizations. I have to ask, how much time have you spent in each city?

There is no significant difference between Dallas and Houston as to which is more conservative and which is more family friendly. They are both about the same. It also is heavily dependent on what part of town you reside or visit. Dallas probably is a little more conservative, but the difference is minute.

The black gay community may be more pronounced in Houston, but (and I say this with complete certainty) the gay community on the whole is more pronounced in Dallas. Dallas has a higher concentration of gay residents, gay nightlife, and gay resources than Houston does. It may very well be true that Houston has a better scene for black gays specifically, but I would argue heavily that Dallas does for gays on the whole.

Also, Dallas gay scene is pretty darn diverse. I would advise you to check out S4 or JR's on a Saturday night. You will find white, black, Asian, hispanic, etc. under the same roof. Is it as diverse as Houston's gay scene? Maybe it isn't, but it sure seems a heck of a lot more so than Atlanta's gay scene. (just from observations). Neither city has the concentration of gay residents Atlanta does though.

As far as being accepting of other cultures, both cities are exceptionally accepting of other cultures. You can be anyone from anywhere and have no problem in either. That has to be made perfectly clear.

You are right that Houston has more history with black residents, but DFW has really made up for lost time. Its the 2nd fastest growing black community in the US.

Perhaps you would like Houston better, Im not denying that. But there were just a few generalizations in your post that I felt had to be addressed.

I wasn't out during the time I spent in either city in the past, so while I can talk about other aspects of life there, I couldn't really gauge the gay scene in either city at the time. No need to get so defensive and touchy, I wanted clarification/perspective from people who have spent time in either scene to give me an honest comparison. You're usually pretty even-handed compared to other posters on this board, so I do appreciate the response...but you did read the parts where I said that wasn't necessarily a deal-breaker/trump in favor of Houston or that I admitted to feeling silly for even asking these questions about two top-10 metro areas which are both quite diverse, right?

I'll even admit that a lot of what wrote in my previous post was based off of either hearsay from other people I knew who either lived in or frequently visited Dallas and Houston, so I figure I wanted to find out from multiple sources who may not be so biased and could give me additional perspective. I should've wrote that in my earlier post, oh well... As for the rest of your post, I know that a lot of factors with either city are a "six-in-one-hand/half-a-dozen-in-another," (debating about which one is more conservative/family-friendly for one), but as you know, moving to a new city, finding your niche and social circle can be easier in some cities compared to others, regardless of race/gender/sexuality/religion/political views/etc.

Last edited by grindin; 02-18-2014 at 04:28 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 04:20 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I wasn't out during the time I spent in either city in the past, so while I can talk about other aspects of life there, I couldn't really gauge the gay life in either city at the time. No need to get so defensive and touchy, I wanted clarification/perspective from people who have spent time in either scene to give me an honest comparison. You're usually pretty even-handed, so I do appreciate the response...but you did read the parts where I said that wasn't necessarily a deal-breaker/trump in favor of Houston or that I admitted to feeling silly for even asking these questions about two top-10 metro areas which are both quite diverse, right?

I'll even admit that a lot of what wrote in my previous post was based off of either hearsay from other people I knew who either lived in or frequently visited Dallas and Houston, so I figure I wanted to find out from multiple sources who may not be so biased and could give me additional perspective. As for the rest of your post, I know that a lot of factors with either city are a "six-in-one-hand/half-a-dozen-in-another," (debating about which one is more conservative/family-friendly for one).
I didn't think I was being touchy or defensive. I was trying to best convey my thoughts in a respectful and objective manner and Im sorry if it didn't come across like that. Im familiar with your post history and I know you are a knowledgeable and fair minded person. There were just some things I wanted to touch on.

Both are great places to call home. I live in one and my father lives in the other (so I spend a lot of time there). Just my observations.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:26 PM
TXT

165 posts, read 238,339 times
Default Houston v. Dallas

A gay person could NOT be elected mayor of Dallas. It's much too conservative for that, and the Dallas gay community, albeit lively and glittery, is not big or powerful enough to make it happen.

Houston has the largest most powerful gay community in Texas, and has the population, institutions and mayor to prove it. Next Thread!

Old 02-18-2014, 04:29 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
I didn't think I was being touchy or defensive. I was trying to best convey my thoughts in a respectful and objective manner and Im sorry if it didn't come across like that. Im familiar with your post history and I know you are a knowledgeable and fair minded person. There were just some things I wanted to touch on.

Both are great places to call home. I live in one and my father lives in the other (so I spend a lot of time there). Just my observations.
Fair enough, and I do see where you were coming from.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXT View Post
A gay person could NOT be elected mayor of Dallas. It's much too conservative for that, and the Dallas gay community, albeit lively and glittery, is not big or powerful enough to make it happen.

Houston has the largest most powerful gay community in Texas, and has the population, institutions and mayor to prove it. Next Thread!
Are you aware that Dallas county has a gay sheriff thats been re-elected 4 times?

Are you also aware that the gay community has a much higher concentration in Dallas than Houston?

Old 02-18-2014, 04:36 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,788,977 times
Quote:

Dude, you should really quit misinforming people who are series about moving. Saying Houston has the largest gay community in Texas is pretty bold considering both metros similarities.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Dude, you should really quit misinforming people who are series about moving. Saying Houston has the largest gay community in Texas is pretty bold considering both metros similarities.
Not only that, Houston has 2.1 million people and a gay community of 61,000. Dallas has 1.275 million people and a gay community of 60,000. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see which city is gayer (if thats a word) given the concentration in Dallas is much higher.

In fact, Dallas has THE highest concentration of gay couples in the state:

Study Reveals That Dallas Is Very Gay | FrontBurner | D Magazine

Old 02-18-2014, 04:42 PM
TXT

Quote:
Are you aware that Dallas county has a gay sheriff thats been re-elected 4 times?

Are you also aware that the gay community has a much higher concentration in Dallas than Houston?
Yes I am, and I'm also aware that Houston is twice the size of Dallas. Are you aware of that?

Old 02-18-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Yes I am, and I'm also aware that Houston is twice the size of Dallas. Are you aware of that?
Yes, but what does the size of Houston city even have to do with Dallas county having a gay sheriff?

Old 02-18-2014, 04:46 PM
TXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
I'm simply stating facts. Facts that you and other Dallas boosters don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas