U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2013, 12:37 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,297 times
Reputation: 13
Default Thinking about Moving To Texas From Los Angeles

Hi Everyone!!
I'm thinking about moving to Texas from Los Angeles, and I'm wondering which city I should consider. Dallas, Houston or Austin!! I love everything about LA except the cost of living!! I moved to Los Angeles 4 years ago from Atlanta where I lived for 20 years (So I'm know the south, but I'm over ATL). I'm thinking about my retirement, purchasing a house, and the quality of life. I'm an artist working as a Hair Stylist and Realtor now. I would get a Real Estate License in Texas and also work in a salon (High End only) to meet people and make money.
I'm looking for a high end artsy area with modern homes or lofts. Very Whole foods meets Neiman Marcus. I pay $1800 now in the Westwood/Century City area for a 2 bedroom now. Looking to pay less
Even though I have lived in LA for only 4 years I'm a true Angelenos, I love the culture, the food, the diversity and the money!! I love healthy living, exercise, recycling, great restaurants and great bars/lounges.
I'm in my early 40's, single female, with adult kids so I'm looking to do me!!
Thanks in Advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2013, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
1,855 posts, read 2,283,615 times
Reputation: 1892
As a former Angeleno, welcome to Dallas!

Sounds like Uptown is what you're looking for. This is where celebs stay when they're in town (Ritz-Carlton, Hotel ZaZa, Crescent, The W). Lots of restaurants, bars, and young professionals. And a brand new huge Whole Foods is under construction on the main drag, McKinney Avenue, and an existing one is not far away in the next-door neighborhood of Oak Lawn. When people in other parts of Texas run down Dallas as just a wanna-be L.A., Uptown is probably what they have in mind. Uptown Dallas - Home

Uptown is also very near the Park Cities (Highland Park, University Park) and Preston Hollow, where the staid old money resides. They're sort of the equivalent of Beverly Hills with fewer entertainment-biz types. There's a very high-end shopping plaza there called Highland Park Village. Between Uptown and Highland Park, you've got lots of potential clientele. Highland Park Village | The Premier Shopping Experience of Dallas, Texas

However, rents in Uptown aren't cheap. While rents/property overall is cheaper in Dallas, you'll pay premium prices in certain neighborhoods, like Uptown, where rents in any of the new-construction high-rises that have gone up in recent years will run you anywhere from $1600-$2000+ for a 2 bedroom. You can get luckier in North Oak Lawn, where you have lots of older but well-maintained duplexes and apartments and they run much cheaper. But then you're not going to have all the bells and whistles (gym, pool, etc.)

Last edited by TrueDat; 10-21-2013 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2013, 05:39 PM
 
8,052 posts, read 10,543,420 times
Reputation: 5467
Uptown isn't really artsy. OP, you may want to look at some of the loft buildings downtown, in Deep Ellum/ Expo Park, or The Cedars / Southside. North Oak Cliff could also appeal to you - google Good Space landlord. You also might like Knox-Henderson; Henderson Ave is trendy but less "polished" than Uptown. More boho, but still safe for Louboutins!

However, be prepared to be very disappointed in rents. These are extremely hot neighborhoods and our housing market (buying and renting) has been HOT for about 18 month's ++ now. You will be hard-pressed to find any 2-br's for less than $1500-1600 and will likely find many listings that are more than in LA.

Shameless plug for checking out Osgood-O'Neil salon. I've been going there for 8 years now and absolutely love them. Cool vibe, sounds like your kind of friends. They have 3 salons now - Knox Street and two in the Park Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 05:56 AM
 
10 posts, read 3,792 times
Reputation: 22
make sure you have a job lined-up first!

definitely not DALLAS, culture is stagnant there
well, that may not be much different that L.A.

HOUSTON or AUSTIN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 06:55 AM
 
Location: 75025 (previously 75254, 90505, 90010, and 60614)
10,058 posts, read 10,272,217 times
Reputation: 6494
Quote:
Originally Posted by heisenberg0 View Post
make sure you have a job lined-up first!

definitely not DALLAS, culture is stagnant there
well, that may not be much different that L.A.

HOUSTON or AUSTIN
Oh boy, another troll from Houston vomiting forth BS. Just when I thought we didn't have enough of those.

The OP could find neighborhoods in any of the three that fit. Houston and Dallas are much more diverse than Austin, but Austin is the best for artists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Lubbock, Tx
4,717 posts, read 1,595,486 times
Reputation: 5683
TrueDat is right. People like the OP will fit right in in the Uptown/University Park area around SMU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,302 posts, read 12,956,651 times
Reputation: 4752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idesign1992 View Post
Hi Everyone!!
I'm thinking about moving to Texas from Los Angeles, and I'm wondering which city I should consider. Dallas, Houston or Austin!! I love everything about LA except the cost of living!! I moved to Los Angeles 4 years ago from Atlanta where I lived for 20 years (So I'm know the south, but I'm over ATL). I'm thinking about my retirement, purchasing a house, and the quality of life. I'm an artist working as a Hair Stylist and Realtor now. I would get a Real Estate License in Texas and also work in a salon (High End only) to meet people and make money.
I'm looking for a high end artsy area with modern homes or lofts. Very Whole foods meets Neiman Marcus. I pay $1800 now in the Westwood/Century City area for a 2 bedroom now. Looking to pay less
Even though I have lived in LA for only 4 years I'm a true Angelenos, I love the culture, the food, the diversity and the money!! I love healthy living, exercise, recycling, great restaurants and great bars/lounges.
I'm in my early 40's, single female, with adult kids so I'm looking to do me!!
Thanks in Advance!!
If you combined Los Angeles (minus the mountains & pretentiousness) & Atlanta (greenery) with New Orleans (Cajun/Creole/French influence) you would get Houston.

Something you might wanna think about.

Dallas feels like any other large Midwestern or Great Plains city in fly over country (not coastal but cosmopolitan) & Austin is a mirror image of Sacramento with a little Portland weirdness if you've ever been there. Don't let anybody tell you Austin is like San Francisco or the Bay Area because its not. Its not even like Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 11:11 AM
 
43 posts, read 40,322 times
Reputation: 82
Yeah for $200-300 more per month in rent to somewhat mantain your lifestyle in L.A., I would consider staying where you at right now. This is assuming you can get same opportunities as a realtor in LA compared to here (which I highly doubt there will be much of a difference between CA and TX as far as realtor opp given your rockieness in the field combined with the fact you are into high end styling-with LA being a better option to meet more people thru the latter medium)

You had me going by the end with your goals! You seem to be in a good spot, love the culture and why give up everything you love for saving a mere $200-300 a month? Just a suggestion of course, but if you want to give up the culture, maybe try Houston?, then your options widen a bit more.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 12:28 PM
 
Location: 75025 (previously 75254, 90505, 90010, and 60614)
10,058 posts, read 10,272,217 times
Reputation: 6494
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi1212 View Post
Yeah for $200-300 more per month in rent to somewhat mantain your lifestyle in L.A., I would consider staying where you at right now. This is assuming you can get same opportunities as a realtor in LA compared to here (which I highly doubt there will be much of a difference between CA and TX as far as realtor opp given your rockieness in the field combined with the fact you are into high end styling-with LA being a better option to meet more people thru the latter medium)

You had me going by the end with your goals! You seem to be in a good spot, love the culture and why give up everything you love for saving a mere $200-300 a month? Just a suggestion of course, but if you want to give up the culture, maybe try Houston?, then your options widen a bit more.

Good luck!
Ive lived in both and Ill tell you right now, if youre comparing apples to apples, in no way is it just an extra $300 a month. Try $700-800 for apartments or $1500 for mortgages.

Statistically, mortgages and rents are 157% more in Los Angeles than Dallas/Fort Worth, 94% more than Houston, and 128% more than Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 02:05 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,297 times
Reputation: 13
I'm new to this forum so please bear with me!! @luigi1212 Thank you but it's not $200-$300 a month that I'm worried about. I love LA but have to think about my future and retirement, I'm in my early 40's and would like to purchase a home and pay if off before I retire. Homes in LA start at $500,000 for a 1968 2bed condo that needs to be redone. Don't even think about a house!! Plus it's the cost of food, the cost of gas, parking, the cost of lunch ($16-$20 average) forget about going out to dinner with friends ($50+) and I don't even drink!!
So if i wanted to I could afford to stay in LA but why when I could sleep better at night, save money and travel a lot more.
I guess it's what's important to you!!
Thanks!! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:05 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top