U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:42 AM

3,035 posts, read 4,713,479 times

Advertisements

With all the newcomers moving here from California, most probably don't think the possiblity of an earthquake here is likely. When IN FACT there is a pretty good sized faultline running right through the middle of the state. The Balcones Fault. It stretches from the San Antonio are to just north of Waco. Is anyone concerned about it one day slipping or opening up?

The thought has definitely crossed my mind a few times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 06:14 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,924,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
With all the newcomers moving here from California, most probably don't think the possiblity of an earthquake here is likely. When IN FACT there is a pretty good sized faultline running right through the middle of the state. The Balcones Fault. It stretches from the San Antonio are to just north of Waco. Is anyone concerned about it one day slipping or opening up?

The thought has definitely crossed my mind a few times.
Nothing like a little scare tactic to begin one's day, eh? From Wikipedia: "The Balcones Fault zone was most recently active about 15 million years ago during the Miocene epoch. This activity was related to subsidence of the Texas Coastal Plain, most likely from the large amount of sediment deposited on it by Texas rivers."

Balcones Fault - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's a much, much better chance for an earthquake to happen in the middle Mississippi River area from say, Cape Girardeaux (sp?) to Memphis, than in TX.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:51 AM

1,184 posts, read 2,474,640 times
Thanks Delta for nipping this in the bud. According to the USGS seismic maps, Texas is has a seismic design category of A-0 meaning we don't need to consider in the design of buildings.

See the following USGS data for probabilities of peak ground motion acceleration if your interested:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/hazmaps/products_data/2002/2002April03/US/USpga2500v4.pdf (broken link)

Old 11-21-2007, 10:01 AM

74,948 posts, read 35,666,890 times
We only refer to it here to separate the rocky areas from the dirt areas

Old 11-21-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
Thanks Delta for nipping this in the bud. According to the USGS seismic maps, Texas is has a seismic design category of A-0 meaning we don't need to consider in the design of buildings.

See the following USGS data for probabilities of peak ground motion acceleration if your interested:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/hazmaps/products_data/2002/2002April03/US/USpga2500v4.pdf (broken link)
I saw that schematic on wikipedia, but didn't fully understand it as I'm not an engineer by any sense of the word. Interesting.

Speaking of the fault in the river north of Memphis, the New Madrid Fault, I was in the head one Sunday morning, must have been in the late 60s, when there was a slight shift in the plates up there, came all the way down to my hometown, about 100 miles south of Memphis. Got my attention, real quick. If that's the closest I ever come to an earthquake, that's fine by me.

I've read some of the geological history of Texas, and the Balcones Fault is interesting. The Edwards Plateau is even more interesting, though. But like I said, I'm not an engineer nor a geologist, it's just interesting reading without all the hyperbole. Fun things to know when drive down to San Antonio and watching the scenery to the west of I-35.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:19 AM

1,184 posts, read 2,474,640 times
Delta

The Edwards Plateau is an interesting and unique element of Texas topography. The USGS has found it is very influential in our weather patterns in South Central Texas. The USGS data revealed that the Plateau produces more flash floods than any other area in this longitude. The Edwards Plateau is about 140 miles long. Its topography creates lift for air which enhances the strength of thunderstorms.

I was in Southern California about 15 years ago and enjoyed a 3.3 earthquake from the 15th floor of a Marriott at LAX. I'll take a tornado any day over that.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:54 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,330,716 times
There's a nice little fault in the Texas Panhandle, too - you wouldn't think there'd be one there with all the wonderful miles and miles of flat land....we had a couple of little earthquakes in the north part of Amarillo while living there a about 3-4 years ago. One was enough to drop the water table quite a lot...some people had to go in and lower their water wells to reach the water again.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
There's a nice little fault in the Texas Panhandle, too - you wouldn't think there'd be one there with all the wonderful miles and miles of flat land....we had a couple of little earthquakes in the north part of Amarillo while living there a about 3-4 years ago. One was enough to drop the water table quite a lot...some people had to go in and lower their water wells to reach the water again.
I vaguely remember that, but I never really heard much about it. There's just not a whole lot of anything from Amarillo to Dumas I know, and while I've been through the panhandle going up to Colorado, I don't remember too much past Dumas.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:12 PM

61 posts, read 289,422 times
I have a friend who was a land surveyor, in the Houston area alone there are 86 small faultlines. For the curious, a map from harris county flood control district: (Warning, 3MB file,dial up beware)
http://www.hcfcd.org/images/PrincplA...HC_2006-LG.jpg

Old 11-21-2007, 06:42 PM

3,035 posts, read 4,713,479 times
My grandfather worked for a cement company in the 1960s when they were building the Lake Waco Dam (which lies right on top of the fault), and said that the fault slipped a little bit , causing a stoppage of construction. Theres pictures of it somewhere, I'll look for them. I guess there was no major problem or else they wouldnt have finished the dam. Its still a lttle scary to say the least. Not really something to worry much about though, our chances of getting hit by a tornado are much greater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas