Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 08:50 PM

9 posts, read 20,758 times

Advertisements

I'm 17, i turn 18 in a month(December 28th) and i would really appreciate some help if it could possibly be provided. well, i turn 18 next month and i'm on the early high school graduation plan and graduate December 19th. Is there anything i could possibly do to maybe get my foot in the door with an employer? I'm a hard worker. I worked for a factory during the summer welding trailers to haul peanuts for the harvest season. We worked around 50-60 hours a week. I know that's probably not near what some of you guys on here work, but i'm just trying to say i like working long hours. I will have my Diploma, but is there anyway i could talk to some of the guys in the oil business and maybe get my foot in the door that way? I know i won't be 18, but if i was to possibly get my foot in the door and get an interview, i would be hired pretty much when i turn 18(my goal). If absolutely anybody could help me with this, that would be great and very helpful. -Thanks, Ty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 09:28 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,581,577 times
I teach HS seniors and run into a lot of students in your position. My advice and I can't emphasize this enough is to take the time to develop a skill that will earn you more money than you would as an unskilled laborer in the oil fields. I don't know where you live but here in Waco there is an excellent program at the Texas State Technical College (TSTC):

Texas State Technical College Waco | Home | Texas State Technical College

Learn something like pipeline welding and you will have your choice of jobs. The programs are short and won't cost that much. I talked to one of the instructors at TSTC recently and he said they get many more calls for pipeline welders from prospective employers than they have students. I'm no expert in oilfield work but from everything I know you are much better off developing a marketable skill first rather than showing up and looking for an unskilled laborer position.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:52 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,212,755 times
Texasdiver is right. You don't want to rely on an unskilled job in this economy. The industry is just too volatile. Learn a related trade, and that will push you to the front of the line. School probably is not your top choice right now, but it's hands-on training, not just taking notes in a lecture hall. I realize it's hard to think long term when you're just a teenager, but you will be so much better off.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:59 AM

587 posts, read 955,269 times
Hard workers like you are always in demand. You could probably just go to the oil boom town of your choice and pick which company you would like to work for. The pay is good and opportunities for advancement plentiful. Just be aware that bust come quickly and make for some pretty tough times.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:43 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,822,728 times
Lots of tips here in these City-Data threads about finding work in Midland-Odessa:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...vmessage118011

Many high schools have technical programs available, in areas such as welding. I agree with the others here that you should develop some personal skills that will allow you to do more then common labor.

I took some high-school shop classes and drafting, which enabled me to get a job as with a survey field crew and doing some drafting in the office. After learning a bit about surveying in several states I realized I was just as smart as the civil engineer I worked for, just needed more education. I went to college majoring in engineering and later switched degrees to earn a Master of Architecture. You never know where any training or education can eventually lead you, but it has always lead me to a better future.

Last edited by CptnRn; 11-28-2013 at 02:12 PM..

Old 11-28-2013, 02:07 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,396,214 times
I worked in the oilfield for 14 years. 3 as a crude oil trucker and 11 as a weldor. I was a weldor for 40 years altogether. I worked in many oilfield related shops as a weldor. Going to welding school will not always guarantee you a job as a pipeline weldor. It usually takes a lot more experience. However, having that schooling can only help you. The more certifications that you have, the better your chances. Each company usually has classes that you can take to get those certifications. I'm referring to procedure/safety classes. When you apply for a job ask if they have any classes that you can take. The more you complete, the better chance of finding a job. My son started out on the bottom as a roustabout. Took all of the classes offered and before long he was giving the classes. Good luck.

Last edited by slingshot; 11-28-2013 at 02:30 PM..

Old 11-29-2013, 08:56 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,102,316 times
One of the oil field services always in demand is that of "Inspection Services." There are some companies that will hire unskilled helpers who then have the opportunity to learn on the job. Pipeline inspection is one of the jobs that seems to attract very low skilled workers and demands little by way of experience or actual labor.

On the other hand, even the most experienced of welders can fail to pass welding tests. Usually each new job requires re-certification via the standardized welding test before the welder can begin working for a new company or on a new project.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:27 AM

9 posts, read 20,758 times
Thanks guys this gives me a lot of insight as to what can help me get to where i need to be. I've been in my high school welding class for 3 years and quit doing it my Senior year(this year) to finish my schooling up so i can start working. Worked at a welding shop over the summer and kind of realized school(College) wasn't for me. I enjoy welding, but i don't think i would like to do it as a full time job. I really like the really demanding work. I want a job where there's alot of move up room. I talked to a local friend of ours (he's a "roughneck on a rig somewhere down in south Texas) and he told me i should try to get out on a rig, and i would love to have a job out of the rig and to learn and gain experience. But that's the thing,no experience, about to be fresh out of high school i have no idea where to go to even have a company think about giving me a chance. Does anybody know a good company i could talk with about breaking into the field? I doubt Nabors, MBI, or any other large company would let me in. Or if i could possible talk to a driller or a tool pusher. I saw a AD for a job on the North slope of Alaska, but i'm guessing they only hire people with experience. Just wish i had a contact somewhere high up in the field lol. Thanks for all ya'lls help though it helps me out alot!

Old 11-30-2013, 05:34 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,396,214 times
Typo, what you might want to do is this, go to Google and type in the words "Eagle Ford entry job opportunities". You will come up with many sites from which to choose. This is only one of them. Oil Field Jobs In Texas | Tex Dot Org The Eagle Ford is a formation in South Texas that is booming. I have a son working there now and a son working in a oilfield related job in Northern Colorado. Both started at entry jobs.
Here's another. http://eaglefordshale.com/jobs/ Don't let the fancy job titles deter you. You might be just the one for the job. Check them all out. Oilfield service companies many times have openings for someone looking to break into the oilfield.
Also... "oilfield job hotspots". https://www.google.com/#q=oilfield+job+hotspots

Last edited by slingshot; 11-30-2013 at 05:58 AM..

Old 11-30-2013, 09:54 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times
Please please please take the time to get your HazMat and CDL the minute you turn 21. This will greatly expand your options. Also, I agree that if possible you should consider training as a welder.

That being said, it's true that companies are always looking for people who are willing to work the sometimes excruciating schedules that the oil field can demand, so be sure to get a glowing letter of recommendation (one that outlines the hours you worked faithfully) from your former employer - that will be a big advantage to you. Lots of people SAY they want to work in the oilfield, until they have to get up 10 mornings in a row at 2 am to be on the yard at 3 am in the freezing rain, and then spend the next 16 hours in mud up to their knees. Often people don't really realize WHY the money can be so good in the oilfield...till they try to work in it! You sound like a very hard worker though so that's definitely in your favor.

My husband has worked 35 years in the oilfield and has risen from entry level to being a consultant. Now he works two weeks on and two weeks off and makes as much money as some doctors make - but it took awhile to get there (he also got an associates degree in oil and gas something or other). People often ask him what it takes to reach the level he's at and I've heard him tell them this over and over again:

1. Don't miss work. Always show up and show up on time.
2. Volunteer for the jobs that no one else wants to do.
3. Never cut corners. You'll get someone killed doing that - or at the least, get yourself fired.
4. Keep yourself healthy because most jobs are very physically demanding.
5. Wear good boots!

Good luck - keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas