Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 12:41 PM

568 posts, read 901,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroAmericanofColor View Post
There is such a thing as crime, and then there is this:
Yeah and most of them were targeted because of their affiliation with drugs. Mexico's crime rate is lower than ours. Their murder rate is lower than many of our cities and the tourist locations are even safer. Also how does your example all that different from our numerous mass shootings and recent Boston Bombing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 02:45 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
Some of you people have been watching too many reruns of Breaking Bad. Murder and violence are everywhere, in every nation on this planet. Unfortunately that's just a sad part of our base nature as human beings. Just because the media sensationalizes certain incidents and makes it appear that these things are part of everyday life in certain areas, it's just not an accurate picture.

It's really no different than people in other countries having this perception of America as being a gun-crazy free-for-all where kids only go to school to shoot each other. Some of it is true, but most of it is media-generated hype.

None of this is to say that you shouldn't be vigilant when traveling abroad. You definitely should. Just don't be stupid. Use some common sense. Don't go lurking around the back streets of Juarez in the wee hours. Same logic that applies in most American cities.

Somebody posted earlier, and I TOTALLY agree with this, that as long as certain U.S. states continue to decriminalize Marijuana, you will most likely see a drop in cartel violence. It's basic supply and demand that fuels these fires.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:45 PM

43 posts, read 63,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
Yeah and most of them were targeted because of their affiliation with drugs. Mexico's crime rate is lower than ours. Their murder rate is lower than many of our cities and the tourist locations are even safer. Also how does your example all that different from our numerous mass shootings and recent Boston Bombing?
They say a picture says a thousand words. I just posted numerous pictures of not mass murders, a mass murderer generally kills people one at a time, but of mass executions. The evidence that these mass executions go on are piles of bodies dumped in the street and hung from bridges.

On top of this, it has been reported that the Mexican media doesn't report on the murders if possible in order to protect Mexico's tourist industry.

I would just let this go to avoid any bickering, but I've talked to illegal aliens worried about their loved ones. In one case, a father told me that the drug cartel will came around to the friends of his oldest son threatening them with death unless they agreed to take guns from them to use against Mexican troops.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
They say a picture says a thousand words. I just posted numerous pictures of not mass murders, a mass murderer generally kills people one at a time, but of mass executions. The evidence that these mass executions go on are piles of bodies dumped in the street and hung from bridges.

On top of this, it has been reported that the Mexican media doesn't report on the murders if possible in order to protect Mexico's tourist industry.

I would just let this go to avoid any bickering, but I've talked to illegal aliens worried about their loved ones. In one case, a father told me that the drug cartel will came around to the friends of his oldest son threatening them with death unless they agreed to take guns from them to use against Mexican troops.
Media does not report crime rates... And my family goes about their business in Mexico just fine without worrying about cartels. You seem pretty ignorant about Mexico. How often do you go bc I am there about twice a year. Most people are not affected in their day to day lives there.

Also you've talked to illegal aliens? How do you know they are illegal and why do you need to identify them as so? You could just say Mexicans... Nothing about that story sounds believable since the citizens could easily use those guns against the cartel. The cartel know they are public enemy number one. Any other stories you want to fabricate?

Last edited by xsatyr; 12-21-2013 at 06:06 PM..

Old 12-22-2013, 07:47 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
This article can be found in TODAY'S El Paso Times newspaper:

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_24769014/u-s-consulate-urges-u-s-citizens-avoid

It is but one of MANY MANY articles on warning against U.S. citizens
visiting the Mexican states bordering the USA. While there is no
doubt that people have positive experiences traveling in Mexico,
there is never a guarantee of law enforcement protection from
personal crimes, to say nothing of kidnappings and homicides. Law
enforcement in Mexico is notoriously corrupt, demanding "mordida"
from travelers of every ethnicity, and quick to fine or imprison
visitors for even minor infractions.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:39 AM

43 posts, read 63,297 times
Quote:
Media does not report crime rates... And my family goes about their business in Mexico just fine without worrying about cartels. You seem pretty ignorant about Mexico. How often do you go bc I am there about twice a year. Most people are not affected in their day to day lives there.

Also you've talked to illegal aliens? How do you know they are illegal and why do you need to identify them as so? You could just say Mexicans... Nothing about that story sounds believable since the citizens could easily use those guns against the cartel. The cartel know they are public enemy number one. Any other stories you want to fabricate?
My ex-wife is a Mexican national from the Monterrey suburb of Allende. My two sons are half Mexican and they speak bilingual.

I won't visit Mexico just like I won't visit the city of Chicago. Likewise, I won't go to eat at a restaurant in a bad part of town with a high crime rate. I like to relax and enjoy myself. My fear isn't being attacked and not being able to protect myself. My fear is getting captured and not being able to thrust my head around sufficiently to keep it from getting cut off. I am also very claustrophobic to the extent that a cold blade on the skin of my neck makes me giggle and wiggle around.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
My ex-wife is a Mexican national from the Monterrey suburb of Allende. My two sons are half Mexican and they speak bilingual.

I won't visit Mexico just like I won't visit the city of Chicago. Likewise, I won't go to eat at a restaurant in a bad part of town with a high crime rate. I like to relax and enjoy myself. My fear isn't being attacked and not being able to protect myself. My fear is getting captured and not being able to thrust my head around sufficiently to keep it from getting cut off. I am also very claustrophobic to the extent that a cold blade on the skin of my neck makes me giggle and wiggle around.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:50 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
My in-laws live in Del Rio, and my husband and his siblings were raised there. We used to go across to Cd Acuna to eat and shop, and my in-laws bought a lot of their medications from the farmacias there. NONE of the family will go "across the river" anymore. It is just too dangerous.

The State Department's travel advisory gives good information, too:
Mexico

Old 12-22-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
My in-laws live in Del Rio, and my husband and his siblings were raised there. We used to go across to Cd Acuna to eat and shop, and my in-laws bought a lot of their medications from the farmacias there. NONE of the family will go "across the river" anymore. It is just too dangerous.

The State Department's travel advisory gives good information, too:
Mexico
"Millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year for study, tourism, and business, including more than 150,000 who cross the border every day. More than 20 million U.S. citizens visited Mexico in 2012."

"The number of U.S. citizens reported to the Department of State as murdered in Mexico was 113 in 2011 and 71 in 2012."

I like those odds.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:05 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
Quote:
"Millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year for study, tourism, and business, including more than 150,000 who cross the border every day. More than 20 million U.S. citizens visited Mexico in 2012."

"The number of U.S. citizens reported to the Department of State as murdered in Mexico was 113 in 2011 and 71 in 2012."

I like those odds.
Good for you! Enjoy your trip!

Bye, now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas