Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:53 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times

Advertisements

Summer camping is not nearly as popular in the summer due to mosquitos, humidity, and higher temps. The hardy ones still camp in the summer, of course, but Spring and Fall are wonderful. The number of bugs/critters is generally proportional to the temp, so you will have more in the warmer seasons, but most heavily camped areas will have very little in the way of snakes...snakes are smart enough to clear out . If you are rough camping, then there might be more.

As for beach camping, the wind and sand can be an adjustment. But if you do have a sturdy tent, you don't have to worry about mosquitos...the wind blows em all away. The humidity is hell, though, and you will quite damp by morning, sometimes even in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 10:50 AM

176 posts, read 631,809 times
You can camp on the beaches down there? Here you'd get fined up the wazoo, except in a couple very limited areas...at least I think so...never see anyone camp on the beach here. The beach campgrounds all offer sites which are slightly off the beach here.

And the beaches up here get pretty damn windy too . I've been out on the beach when there are winds strong enough that the gusts would almost blow me or my best friend over (he's 6' 5" and was over 300 pounds).

I think the summer would probably be too hot for me, but thought I'd ask.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:43 PM

595 posts, read 2,721,547 times
I would not tent camp in summer. The mesquitos will pick you up and carry you off...and that would be anywhere there is water w/i 100 miles. Spring could be a little rainy....an the critters start coming out. The Fall would be a good choice.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:16 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
I've always wanted to camp at Goose Island State Park outside of Rockport but haven't done it yet. Yes, you can camp right on the beach, at Mustang State Park and I believe also at Padre Island National Seashore as well. Like others have said, tent camping in the summer can be unpleasant depending on where you are. But I do have great memories of waking up on Padre Island to a beautiful sunrise and a dawn swim. I was much younger then--it might not seem so magical in middle age.... But swimming in the Gulf at night under a full moon---I'd still do that.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:34 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,036 times
JM21, how's the weather there in Oregon where you're at? Have heard of all the storms up your way. Hope all is well!

Old 12-06-2007, 11:40 AM

The storms were bad in a few parts, but not where I live. Barely noticed it. There were some fairly high winds here last year though...less fierce overall but hit here worse, and I was driving at the peak of it which was not all that fun. Had a capacitor on a telephone pole blow over my head with a shower of sparks, then a downed tree scraped the roof of my car...all the traffic lights out. Great fun.

But the winter at the higher elevations in Portland...ugh...still dark at 8am and gets dark before 5pm. Where I live it's foggy or rainy (usually both) pretty much all day. 10:35 right now and still a dense fog and about 40*.

Looks like it's just about perfect camping weather at Goose Island State Park .

Old 12-06-2007, 12:33 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
The storms were bad in a few parts, but not where I live. Barely noticed it. There were some fairly high winds here last year though...less fierce overall but hit here worse, and I was driving at the peak of it which was not all that fun. Had a capacitor on a telephone pole blow over my head with a shower of sparks, then a downed tree scraped the roof of my car...all the traffic lights out. Great fun.

But the winter at the higher elevations in Portland...ugh...still dark at 8am and gets dark before 5pm. Where I live it's foggy or rainy (usually both) pretty much all day. 10:35 right now and still a dense fog and about 40*.

Looks like it's just about perfect camping weather at Goose Island State Park .
Good to hear all is okay "in your neck of the woods"! Good time for your TX trip!

Old 12-06-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Good to hear all is okay "in your neck of the woods"! Good time for your TX trip!
Thanks! It's a very pleasant surprise to have someone make an inquiry. Looking forward to visiting more and more .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas