Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 03:36 PM

25 posts, read 58,441 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about making a trip down to the RGV and South Padre Island for NYE. The last time I visited the RGV was in 2012, and I never felt unsafe there. Lately, I have read 2013 news stories that assert drug-related crime has increased on the U.S. side of the border.

I know SPI is very safe, but what about border cities such as McAllen and Brownsville? I would like to visit some of the attractions during the day in those cities and elsewhere.

Can anyone give any insight on the current crime situation in the RGV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 04:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,818 times
It's fine. Just stay on this side--nothing to see over there that you can't see here.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:35 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Completely safe and a fun part of Texas.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:53 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,382 times
Nope, couldn't pay me to live in the hole.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:55 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
It's fine. Just stay on this side--nothing to see over there that you can't see here.
This.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:57 AM

836 posts, read 2,948,015 times
Why some tourist would visit Rio Grande Valley? Nothing there worth the visit, only South Padre Island and even there you get bored in 2 days...

Old 12-27-2013, 10:33 AM

34 posts, read 53,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
Why some tourist would visit Rio Grande Valley? Nothing there worth the visit, only South Padre Island and even there you get bored in 2 days...
Sort of agree. I grew up there and parents/family live there.

Reasons to visit the RGV:

Birding, people who watch birds. There are a ton of species since its a transition zone between areas of habitat
Fishing, some of the best in the country as far as salt water species goes
Hunting, we got deer, nilgai, and lots of pigs. People pay thousands per gun/hunter.
Habitats, we have a few very natural and very large habitats saved from crops and housing

Reasons not to visit:

The beach, it aint that pretty; I've been to Key West and other beaches in Florida and the SPI seashore aint it, nice in spots but not your pretty white sand beach you might be thinking of. Sometimes its completely covered in kelp, tar, jelly fish and you really never know when to plan around those periods. Beach bugging is all illegal now so forget having fun. Cops are literately everywhere there and to/from so forget having fun twice. SPI has schlitterbahn now, whoopee do. Save 200 miles and go to New Braunsfels.

Culture. There is some but outside of a few very small places its mainly not embraced. Catholics have some missions and relics of that were, really Goliad is better for this. King Ranch is ok for a one-time visit. There is no world class music to speak of or symphonic venues worthy. Any art is generally related to Mexico. There are some intact neighborhoods and districts that can be architecturally interesting as downtown progress in many towns haven't changed since 1935 but are usually sketchy areas now.

Sad thing this was a agricultural jewel since the dawn, however since the 1970s the areas is increasingly becoming urbanized with really zero growth outside of retail and services. All the factories that did exist and make American products have been moved south. Outside of medical, lawyering, and everybody suing everybody here there isn't much wealth.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:46 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Safe - but not interesting.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:38 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,818 times
I agree with the above posts regarding the appeal of the RGV. There are much better places to visit. Again, the OP was asking about safety/crime for tourists. It is generally fine. There is always the possibility of getting caught in one of the increasingly frequent car chases, but that's about it. I don't, however, know anyone who goes out at night.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:18 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,410,816 times
Going to the RGV would be the last place on my list of vacation destinations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas