Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas legalize marijuna ?
No- all illegal drugs are dangerous to some extent. 15 13.04%
NO- It sends a bad message to our youth 9 7.83%
Yes- we not the govt should decide what we smoke 36 31.30%
Yes-its about time we stopped wasting money on enforcement. 68 59.13%
Yes-Marijuana has medical benefits and/or feels good 38 33.04%
Undecided 4 3.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:25 AM

348 posts, read 830,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
It is sad millions of people are fighting tooth-and-nail to approve yet another recreational drug in addition to alcohol and tobacco…it's not going to help anyone.
It would help the people who go to jail and then face the results of that, including family trouble and economic hardship, for the mere act of relaxing and enjoying their time in a way that doesn't cause any harm to anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 12:39 AM

348 posts, read 830,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
It's called a gateway drug. Why? Because it's one of the easiest to get, yet it's illegal. If you're already breaking the law possessing and using marijuana, what's the difference in jumping to meth or cocaine or heroin? Make marijuana possession and use the same as alcohol possession and use and I'd bet the "gateway drug" label would disappear in less than a generation.
I've always thought that. It's a "gateway drug" because it's easy to get and is likely to be used before other drugs, more expensive and possibly harder to find. It doesn't lead to the use of other drugs; it just tends to be the first one used by the kind of person who uses drugs.

The prohibition just makes it a smaller step from marijuana to cocaine, or whatever it is that's the next step. Since it's already illegal, it isn't much of a jump to something else. If it were legal, the smokers would have more of a restraint between marijuana and other things. That restraint is stepping over legal boundaries and risking arrest. Also, you couldn't get cocaine, ecstasy, or LSD from your local marijuana store. Because of the law, just getting a bag of weed puts you in the company of people who also have all that other stuff. The law makes smoking a joint a lot closer to other drugs than it needs to be. Instead of using the law to make that step smaller, we should use the law to make that step bigger.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:50 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxf848 View Post
I'm not opposed to the idea to tax and regulate as long as there's a reasonable provision for non-commercial use, similar to beer and wine. In Texas, you're allowed to make a certain amount of beer and wine each year for your own use, and it's a pretty healthy amount: "The head of a family or an unmarried adult may produce for the use of his family or himself not more than 200 gallons of wine, ale, malt liquor, or beer, per year." This is allowed without a permit, taxation, or annual fees.

I favor a taxation and regulation scheme for commercial production and sales, but there should be a provision for home production of a reasonable amount for personal use. Also, the beer and wine provision that says "The commission may prohibit the use of any ingredient it finds detrimental to health..." could be carried over to marijuana.

I don't think we should tax home production and personal use of a legal substance, although it's reasonable to limit the amount. Heavy users can pay for a taxed commercial product, as a disincentive to heavy use.
Totally agree. I grow mint in my herb garden for stomach aches, why not marijuana for aches, pains, and insomnia? Cannot wait to see this ridiculous prohibition end but not sure it will happen in my lifetime.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
If they do make it legal I hope they tax the **** out of it. Something along the lines of a 40-60% tax.
so the govt can steal more money? I think 30% would be good... the govt has enough money to waste.

on the another note...

It should be legalized. I don't smoke often, but I have done my research. It is good for the body to consume the leaves.. the plant is only harmful to our systems when it is psychoactive/heated. If people want to use it to relax, so be it. It is less harmful on the body than alcohol. Very comparable to wine in that it has some benefits and some problems. Consuming it RAW is very good for you though! Smoking it is good and bad, but who cares. Way better than cigs. Hungry and Happy, what a TEERRIBLE THING!!! I don't think it would be good for people to overmedicate, and I think businesses need to be able to fire people for doing it on the job if they so desire, but it can be used to get work done in small doses. And think of all the Tax dollars saved from inprisonment of people smoking dope... it would benefit us.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 1,570 times
If you vote against this then you must want to make alchohol illegal too, being that it is a drug and much more dangerous. Tylenol is toxic as **** and that **** is legal.. why not weed?

Old 02-10-2014, 12:52 PM

875 posts, read 1,660,850 times
I picked 3,4 & 5..I wish this would happen, this is such a harmless drug. I know so many professionals that smoke and if my job was not so strict..I would be right there with them..

Old 02-10-2014, 01:58 PM

334 posts, read 584,993 times
Free the plant.

We need a leaf icon on here!

Old 02-10-2014, 06:59 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
How Texans are buying pot in Colorado: 'It’s, like, the new tourism'

How Texans are buying pot in Colorado: 'It

Old 02-10-2014, 08:34 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
At this time, I'm happy to sit back and watch what happens in Washington State and Colorado. I spend a lot of time in Colorado, just got back for that matter. I was finding the commercialization kinda sickening and the taxation a joke. I don't know guys, it was nice coming home to normal. I mean that as no offense to them, it's their choice and none of my business. Just don't think I'm ready for it in my home state.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:38 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
At this time, I'm happy to sit back and watch what happens in Washington State and Colorado. I spend a lot of time in Colorado, just got back for that matter. I was finding the commercialization kinda sickening and the taxation a joke. I don't know guys, it was nice coming home to normal. I mean that as no offense to them, it's their choice and none of my business. Just don't think I'm ready for it in my home state.
You must like jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas