Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 07:06 PM

43 posts, read 63,178 times

Advertisements

The Victory Park area in Uptown and the West End Historic district in downtown Dallas are both booming right now largely because of the iconic design of Woodall Rogers freeway which dips below grade much of the way under the recently completed Klyde Warren Park built over it. The recently completed Santiago Calatrava designed Magaret Hunt-Hill bridge just adds to this short freeway's reputation. Adding even further to its iconic status is the Dallas Arts District built to the south of it in downtown Dallas and the Crescent Development and the Ritz hotel and residence built to the north of it in Uptown Dallas.

As the Perot Museum of nature and science is gaining steam in Victory Park, Perot also bought a valuable prime piece of freeway frontage property across from it along Woodall Rogers freeway which is just east of the West End district. At the same time, an Asian museum is planned just to the south of that property. The number of residences under construction and planned in these two areas is huge.

So, apparently, in bringing two neighborhoods together, one doesn't need to build the whole freeway below grade, but just part of it. What has also helped a lot in bringing downtown Dallas and Uptown Dallas together is how the Woodall Rogers itself is thought to be special as well.

Last edited by AfroAmericanofColor; 01-02-2014 at 07:19 PM..

Old 01-02-2014, 07:45 PM

6,658 posts, read 9,881,481 times
Are you Binkyman?

Old 01-02-2014, 08:46 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,545,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroAmericanofColor View Post
The Victory Park area in Uptown and the West End Historic district in downtown Dallas are both booming right now largely because of the iconic design of Woodall Rogers freeway which dips below grade much of the way under the recently completed Klyde Warren Park built over it. The recently completed Santiago Calatrava designed Magaret Hunt-Hill bridge just adds to this short freeway's reputation. Adding even further to its iconic status is the Dallas Arts District built to the south of it in downtown Dallas and the Crescent Development and the Ritz hotel and residence built to the north of it in Uptown Dallas.

As the Perot Museum of nature and science is gaining steam in Victory Park, Perot also bought a valuable prime piece of freeway frontage property across from it along Woodall Rogers freeway which is just east of the West End district. At the same time, an Asian museum is planned just to the south of that property. The number of residences under construction and planned in these two areas is huge.

So, apparently, in bringing two neighborhoods together, one doesn't need to build the whole freeway below grade, but just part of it. What has also helped a lot in bringing downtown Dallas and Uptown Dallas together is how the Woodall Rogers itself is thought to be special as well.
iconic, special? lol. its just a freeway with a long underpass, and an idea stolen from phoenix.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,263,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
iconic, special? lol. its just a freeway with a long underpass, and an idea stolen from phoenix.
Hmm... Let's see if this is fact or if you are just spewing hatred toward someone with a positive opinion of Dallas.

Woodall Rodgers Freeway opened in 1962 with design elements to allow a cap over the below grade section for future development such as a park. This vision was not fulfilled until 2010.

Phoenix's Papago Freeway opened in 1990 and incorporated a park on top of the tunneled section.

Let's do some math here.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:10 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,906,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Are you Binkyman?
Dude dont even care to change his posting style. he comes back every week.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:21 PM

6,658 posts, read 9,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Dude dont even care to change his posting style. he comes back every week.
I'm saying! Once I seen him put "Dallas - Fort Worth" in another thread, I knew it was him.

No one does it that way but him...

Old 01-03-2014, 09:02 AM

1,008 posts, read 1,301,267 times
I think Klyde Warren park is great, but Victory and the West End are booming? By what measure? I walked through Victory while waiting for a train back to Fort Worth after going to the fair (6p on a Sunday night). I didn't see a single other person. That's not hyperbole. I walked around for 15 minutes and literally didn't see anyone else.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:14 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,590,109 times
He's clever enough to fool the mods so far. That's all that counts I guess.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:17 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,782,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
I think Klyde Warren park is great, but Victory and the West End are booming? By what measure? I walked through Victory while waiting for a train back to Fort Worth after going to the fair (6p on a Sunday night). I didn't see a single other person. That's not hyperbole. I walked around for 15 minutes and literally didn't see anyone else.
Residential for sure as well as many other projects that have recently been proposed. This projects are bringing these two areas together.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:19 PM

43 posts, read 63,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Residential for sure as well as many other projects that have recently been proposed. This projects are bringing these two areas together.
A total of six residential properties are being built from Goat Hill to the West End. In most downtown areas, the property in and around the vicinity of the interchanges within the old CBD loop system remain deserts. Both the Deep Ellum and the Dallas Farmers Market areas are doing fairly well considering they too are separated by a portion of an elevated freeway.

I brought up this topic in order to highlight what seems to work.

In the case this growth in the Victory Park and the West End Historic Districts, it probably helps tremendously having the Dallas Design District close by right across the Stemmons expressway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas