Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 06:23 AM

1 posts, read 5,170 times

Advertisements

We don't hate the Aggies, we just wait twenty years past when we should have been one to become one! No, sometimes we get frustrated at the so-called-traffic, but the university is what brings the restaurants and stores to our area. We have an incredible quality of life here - good schools, businesses, great charity-minded people and yes, mostly pretty conservative values. It's a great place to raise a family. If you're more liberal-minded, then Austin is just over an hour down the road - their slogan is 'Keep Austin Weird'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 08:58 AM

384 posts, read 1,413,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuddsGuy View Post
If you want a thriving arts and music scene, you're not going to get it in a small town anywhere.
found it in Denton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuddsGuy View Post
YOU said everyone there was a clone of each other. That's not the case.

It's just stupid to think you can tell that everyone in a city of 150k is a clone of each other when you were there all of 4 weeks.

tstone - nope not me.
well i can tell that most people are clones of something ANYWHERE u go. its just that in CS i can tell i dont care for what most of them stand for in general. its not my bag. i dont even have to live somewhere to figure it out. i just have to geta a feel. im a good antenna of sorts. maybe others have to live somewhere for more then 4weeks. it doesn't take me long really.

Last edited by jabbit; 11-29-2007 at 09:12 AM..

Old 11-29-2007, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 5,148 times
I had the opportunity to make that move in the other direction a few years ago. The money was essentially the same so it was all those other reasons (admittedly inertia among them) that kept us in CS. As noted there is considerable diversity and generally a more overt conservative vibe. There aren't seasons to speak of here (although absence of northeastern-type winter isn't a problem to me). Conveniently available opportunities for outdoor recreation don't begin to compare with State College. One of the most noticeable differences to me is CS very much has an acceptance of sprawl and all that entails...with few exceptions they'll roll over for any developer / chain / big box that comes along...that may be a product of having gone so long with so little. Having said that character and diversity are there if you want to find it, people are wonderful, and as noted its a great place to raise a family.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:19 AM

5 posts, read 36,124 times
We do feel comfortable in State College. Both my husband and I work for the university. The winter here is really too long. I think I do not mind the heat as much since we lived in Florida before and liked the weather there. You are right that there are a lot of similarities between the two towns at least from what I heard. I guess we are conservative in terms of family values and such but politically more liberal and independant. So we shall do OK right?

Thanks for your comment. Very helpful.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:21 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g121 View Post
One of the most noticeable differences to me is CS very much has an acceptance of sprawl and all that entails...with few exceptions they'll roll over for any developer / chain / big box that comes along...that may be a product of having gone so long with so little.

It may also simply be a generic, Texas-sprawl phenomenon.

You're definitely right about that, though... there is a much more noticeable amount of chain stores/restaurants there compared to 5, even 10 years ago.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:44 AM

Thanks so much for all of your comments. I am going to visit College Station in the early week of January. I am going to take my daughter down there to visit schools and have a real estate tour. Does anybody have suggestions about a good neighborhood/subdivision? Intermediate schools and middle schools?

I understand that there are two public intermediate schools and two middles schools in College Station.

Thanks again.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:09 PM

42 posts, read 177,430 times
All of the schools in College Station are very good. Some in Bryan are good and others are, well, not as good.

There are a whole lot of subdivisions popping up in CS. Here is some info on a few. I really like the area around Rock Prarie Road. It is mainly residential, away from the college students, close to stores, dining, etc.

Pebble Creek Subdivision

In the southside of College Station lies a beautiful, exlusive subdivision called Pebble Creek. With walking trails, parks, country club and golf course it is truly a beautiful place to live!

Currently there are 34 listings in the subdivision. Eleven of these are through RE/MAX Bryan-College Station (remember any agent can show you any listing!) Of these 34 currently listed, the lowest price is $197,000 and the highest price is $979,000.

The Subdivision: A ten acre park complete with two playgrounds, soccer and baseball fields, basketball courts, and jogging trails. The subdivision is in the City of College Station and has access to all the amenities city residents enjoy including cable TV, water, electrical and trash pickup. Schools are the renowned Pebble Creek Elementary, Oakwood Intermediate, A&M Consolidated Middle School and, of course, A&M Consolidated High School.

The Country Club: Country Club membership isn't necessary in this beautiful subdivision, but it sure is a nice perk! The golf course opened in 1992 and has twice been voted "Best Golf Course of the Brazos Valley". It's the only golf course in the Brazos Valley to host a Southwest Conference Championship Tournament, and it was also honored to host the Women's Big XII Gold Championship Tournament in 2004. For the tennis player, seven pristene courts await. These courts were host to a USTA professional circuit event that drew top players from around the world! In addition the club boasts a beautiful intercollegiate-size pool with diving well and wading pool, a impressive exercise room, men's and ladies card rooms, a mixed grill for casual dining, Nineteenth Hole Bar for cocktails and the Empire Dining Room for formal events. Many different levels of membership are available, and residency in the subdivision is not required.

Villages of Indian Lakes

The Villages of Indian Lakes is a great subdivision with rolling acreage lots located in the south part of College Station. The netrance to the subdivision isn't the best, going past the back part of Nantucket as well as several relatively unkept rural properties. Once you pull in the subdivision,however, you know you've made it to a very special place!

Horseback riding trails dot the subdivision along with rolling hills and rustic looking signs. Attendance in the highly desirable Forest Ridge Elementary, College Station's newest elementary campus, is a definate plus.

Ten homes are currently for sale. They range in square footage from 3,085 to 5,329 and in price from $424,900-$824,000 (per square foot from $125-$175.5). Homesites range from 1.66 acres to 4 acres in these current active listings. All are built by outstanding builders.

19 homes have sold in Indian Lakes since the early part of 2006 These homes have ranged in price from $299,900 to $975,000 (sold price per square foot from $112-$175.47) and in size from 2599-5300 square feet.

Castlegate

Interested in a home that is situated in College Station, attending great schools, and with many amenities? Castlegate might be your style!!! An impressive structure sits at the front entrance close to a beautiful pond and fountain. The park offers two tennis courts, 2.5 miles of concrete trails and playground, basketball court, and lush landscaping.

Houses in this subdivision are all built after 2001 and range in price greatly. Currently, there are 34 listings, split between existing homes and new builder homes. The asking price for these homes range from $158,500 to $599,000. These homes are zoned to Forest Ridge Elementary, Cypress Grove Intermediate, College Station Middle School and A&M Consolidated High School. Check below for pictures of individual listings.

The current listings are split by these pricepoints:

150K-200K=13 listings

201K-250K=4 listings

251K-300K=2 listings

301K-400K =8 listings

401K-500K=3 listings

501K and up=4 listings

Edelweiss Estates
Beautiful central park. Currently there are twelve active listings in this community ranging from 134,900-250,000K

Carter's Crossing

Carter's Crossing, a planned 2,000 to 2,400 square foot home community, located in the middle of College Station, away from heavy traffic corridors is coming in November 2007.
A 40-acre development with over 7-acres of city park
Neighborhood streetscapes planned before development begins
Deed restricted home sites
Designed with curvilinear street design around existing trees and vegetatio

Old 12-17-2007, 12:18 PM

Thanks for this information. It looks like the Pebble Creek subdivision is more likely our choice. Is the real estate tax high in that area?

Old 12-17-2007, 12:24 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Generally speaking you can generally get a nice house on a very big lot for relatively little money almost anywhere in College Station.

In Bryan if you want older upscale, check out Copperfield.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:56 PM

42 posts, read 177,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shi_pa View Post
Thanks for this information. It looks like the Pebble Creek subdivision is more likely our choice. Is the real estate tax high in that area?
Here is some info on taxes in the city
http://www.cstx.gov/home/index.asp?page=2405

If you think you might like Pebble Creek they have a website:
http://www.pebblecreek.org/

And, a couple of other nice places in Bryan, if you think you might be interested in living there:

http://www.miramont.cc/Default.aspx (broken link)

http://www.traditionsclub.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas