Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 05:19 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times

Advertisements

Back in the day, they used to say that Shreveport was the capital of East Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 02:33 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Interesting question and thread, WT!

Will answer in more detail later (gotta go run a few errands before the blizzard hits us! LOL), but just off the top of my head?

...I think many Texans see Oklahoma as a sorta "little brother" to be tolerated, yet generally liked in the same vein, even though we might hold them somewhat at "arms length". After all, they are kinfolk...and definitely aren't Yankees! The only REAL unbridgeable chasm is the football rivalry...and the is no cure for that one! LOL

Arkansas? Well, they furnished a lot of settlers to Texas, and I think some of us see them as our hillbilly cousins. And of course, here again, there is the old football rivalry dating back to the old and now defunct Southwest Conference.

Louisiana? That one is sorta regarded as an "oddity". A neighbor and kin up the lines somewhere, and definitely no animosities, but -- other than in East Texas -- ala' the strong affinity with the ArkLaTex concept and all -- a totally different critter.

New Mexico? Never gave much thought to them as they did not even become a state until the early 20th century, and there is not much influence on Texas at all. There is no football rivalry, and no real shared history nor feeling of at least SOME sort of kinship, at all. And it has been my own experience that most New Mexico residents reciprocate this feeling; they tend to reject any sort of "regional brotherhood" with Texas. So, I guess, so far as New Mexico goes? Well, I would classify it as more "indifference" than anything else.

Ok, gotta git...but again, great and interesting topic, and I hope it goes without saying that the opinions expressed are just my own and coming from one who lives in Wichita Falls. Obviously, others might feel very differently in the whole schematic!

Old 02-01-2014, 03:27 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Interesting question and thread, WT!

Will answer in more detail later (gotta go run a few errands before the blizzard hits us! LOL), but just off the top of my head?

...I think many Texans see Oklahoma as a sorta "little brother" to be tolerated, yet generally liked in the same vein, even though we might hold them somewhat at "arms length". After all, they are kinfolk...and definitely aren't Yankees! The only REAL unbridgeable chasm is the football rivalry...and the is no cure for that one! LOL

Arkansas? Well, they furnished a lot of settlers to Texas, and I think some of us see them as our hillbilly cousins. And of course, here again, there is the old football rivalry dating back to the old and now defunct Southwest Conference.

Louisiana? That one is sorta regarded as an "oddity". A neighbor and kin up the lines somewhere, and definitely no animosities, but -- other than in East Texas -- ala' the strong affinity with the ArkLaTex concept and all -- a totally different critter.

New Mexico? Never gave much thought to them as they did not even become a state until the early 20th century, and there is not much influence on Texas at all. There is no football rivalry, and no real shared history nor feeling of at least SOME sort of kinship, at all. And it has been my own experience that most New Mexico residents reciprocate this feeling; they tend to reject any sort of "regional brotherhood" with Texas. So, I guess, so far as New Mexico goes? Well, I would classify it as more "indifference" than anything else.

Ok, gotta git...but again, great and interesting topic, and I hope it goes without saying that the opinions expressed are just my own and coming from one who lives in Wichita Falls. Obviously, others might feel very differently in the whole schematic!
well Thanks a lot TexasReb. I really appreciate it....ya I most certainly realize that this thread is highly subjective and I look forward to hearing your further responses.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:22 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,091 times
New Mexico: It's my favorite state that borders Texas. I've been all over that state many times over the years. Ruidoso and Cloudcroft have been frequent spots for vacations. Santa Fe is awesome! I like the mountains and the scenery in New Mexico. I could definitely live there.

Arkansas: I've been to Arkansas several times and I like it. The people are friendly and it's scenic over there as well. I wouldn't mind living in Arkansas.

Oklahoma: I've been to Oklahoma many times over the years. To me, Oklahoma seems more similar to Texas than any other border states. Overall, I like the eastern part of the state better than the western part because it's more scenic.

Louisiana: I've never been there so it's impossible to have an opinion about it. However, I would love to visit New Orleans someday.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
New Mexico: It's my favorite state that borders Texas. I've been all over that state many times over the years. Ruidoso and Cloudcroft have been frequent spots for vacations. Santa Fe is awesome! I like the mountains and the scenery in New Mexico. I could definitely live there.

Arkansas: I've been to Arkansas several times and I like it. The people are friendly and it's scenic over there as well. I wouldn't mind living in Arkansas.

Oklahoma: I've been to Oklahoma many times over the years. To me, Oklahoma seems more similar to Texas than any other border states. Overall, I like the eastern part of the state better than the western part because it's more scenic.

Louisiana: I've never been there so it's impossible to have an opinion about it. However, I would love to visit New Orleans someday.
I went to Santa Fe last summer and I did not enjoy it very much.....it was more of a high-end shopping,culture, and fine arts place.....I enjoyed ABQ much more but its kool that you enjoyed Santa Fe.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:47 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I went to Santa Fe last summer and I did not enjoy it very much.....it was more of a high-end shopping,culture, and fine arts place.....I enjoyed ABQ much more but its kool that you enjoyed Santa Fe.
I like Albuquerque too! I just thought it was really unique how Santa Fe is completely built in that southwestern adobe style architecture. I heard that it's a requirement that every building and home in Santa Fe is built in that style. Even thougth it's beautiful, it's too expensive to live in Santa Fe so I doubt that I would ever live there...lol.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I like Albuquerque too! I just thought it was really unique how Santa Fe is completely built in that southwestern adobe style architecture. I heard that it's a requirement that every building and home in Santa Fe is built in that style. Even thougth it's beautiful, it's too expensive to live in Santa Fe so I doubt that I would ever live there...lol.
haha I think I heard that building code as well but idk for sure.Thats kool.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:09 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
I was born in El Paso and lived in Texas most of my life, with Austin (12 years) being the last place. When it came time to retire, I chose New Mexico since the area where I now live had been my "2nd home" all of my life and the place where I always went to relax and get away from it all when I did live in Texas. The other border states are too similar to Texas for me - both culturally and climate-wise.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:06 AM

104 posts, read 176,986 times
New Mex. - love it, learned to snow ski there, like the variety of the landscape, and native American culture
Louisiana - I have been here many times but I just cannot seem to get the appeal of the place. The whole state reminds me of far SE Texas, Beaumont area, which is my least favorite part of TX. I am not a big fan of Cajun food. NOLA seems really dirty with a lot sketchy type people hanging around looking to prey on you, even in the French Qtr.
Oklahoma - is ok, I have no real strong feelings about the place.
Arkansas- nice/scenic areas but the state is known for Walmart, Jerry Jones, and the Clintons, so these are not exactly ringing endorsements in my book.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:49 PM
rwr

268 posts, read 612,057 times
Default Our Neighbors

New Mexico: love the climate, but hate their nutty politics
Oklahoma: me no likee
Arkansas: beautiful place, but that is out-weighed by Slick Willie's being from there
Lousyana: pretty nice people, but not hardly a moral to be found in Norlins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas