Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 02:10 PM

28 posts, read 30,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social D View Post
Crackhead panhandlers, scam artists, and purse snatchers are undesirable regardless of their color. Have dealt with all three on trips to NO.
Ive never dealt with any of that the times Ive been there. But I also didnt look or act like a tourist. Louisiana has its warts but I dont understand how people can overlook everything thats great about it and only focus on the negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 02:11 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,937,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Move !!!
I do not want to move away from Texas full-time

Old 02-09-2014, 05:20 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,244,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuorleansbound View Post
Just be honest you dont like New Orleans and Louisiana because there's a lot of black people! My fellow Texans are so undercover racist.
I believe I've just been called a racist by someone whose is clueless as to who I am.

And I didn't say I didn't like Louisiana. My great grandfather came to Texas from Catahoula Parish.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,795,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I believe I've just been called a racist by someone whose is clueless as to who I am.

And I didn't say I didn't like Louisiana. My great grandfather came to Texas from Catahoula Parish.
Well, it gets thrown around a lot on this forum, so I guess we should be used to it by now...

Doesn't take much at all for that to happen, either.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:58 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,244,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Well, it gets thrown around a lot on this forum, so I guess we should be used to it by now...

Doesn't take much at all for that to happen, either.
I agree. Like the kid who cried wolf, I guess the word doesn't mean much to many people anymore. Someday perhaps these folks may learn why they keep encountering racism.

But back to the subject of how we feel about the states that border Texas.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:30 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,755,610 times
Louisiana: great food, great music, great fishing, swamps and bayous, New Orleans
Arkansas, Oklahoma: what? where?
New Mexico: mountains, skiing, land of enchantment, Santa Fe, pueblos
Tamaulipas: Great seafood, beautiful beaches
Nuevo Leon: Monterrey- the closest real city to Texas
Coahulia: Oklahoma south
Chihuahua: Mountains, El Chepe, Copper Canyon, Amish apple farms, narcoviolence in Juarez.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 AM

12,882 posts, read 13,190,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Louisiana: great food, great music, great fishing, swamps and bayous, New Orleans
Arkansas, Oklahoma: what? where?
New Mexico: mountains, skiing, land of enchantment, Santa Fe, pueblos
Tamaulipas: Great seafood, beautiful beaches
Nuevo Leon: Monterrey- the closest real city to Texas
Coahulia: Oklahoma south
Chihuahua: Mountains, El Chepe, Copper Canyon, Amish apple farms, narcoviolence in Juarez.
Pretty much my own sentiments except everybody seems to leave out Philmont near Taos, NM.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:56 PM

875 posts, read 1,653,689 times
Louisiana: Growing up, this use to be my second home. Great food and folks and I'm a fan of the Atchafalaya area and also the New Orleans area too. This state has the most influence in Texas than the others.

Arkansas: I've only been here twice and I really can't recall how it was like but Little Rock is cool.

Oklahoma: Its okay. We'll I liked Oklahoma City...

New Mexico: Albuquerque and Santa Fe are beautiful during the winter time.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:57 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,262,366 times
Default Arkansas

In regards to the regions that border the part of the state where most Texans live, I feel as if Arkansas is the hidden gem. I mention Hot Springs or Eureka Springs and people tilt their head at me. The mountains of AR may not be as tall or rugged as the formations in West Texas, but the trees, waterways, and wildlife make them all the more striking, in my opinion.

Almost like New England in our own backyard

Oklahoma what? Hill Country who?:

Old 02-10-2014, 11:56 PM

67,654 posts, read 60,300,578 times
Arkansas is a beautiful state and one of the hidden gems of the US. My parents live in Hot Springs and we love visiting them up there. In fact, we may retire there one day ourselves. The Ouachita Mountains are beautiful.

Here's the view from my parents' back porch:

The people of Arkansas in general are very friendly and helpful, down to earth. Arkansas is definitely a "southern" state when it comes to culture, food, music, etc. - moreso in the southern half though. The upper half has a more "mountain folk" feel to it, with some southern thrown in.

Most of the original European settlers in the state were Scots Irish and English, definitely Protestant, and definitely not wealthy. Many of my ancestors settled there and they and their neighbors were very hardworking, industrious, "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" sort of folks. Both my grandmothers, for instance, grew up picking cotton.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 02-11-2014 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: Sorry to edit, but I had to delete the post you responded to. Your post was great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas