Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 08:04 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,273,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Kathryn speaks truth.

I am personally much south of her .... 80 miles from the coast and 50 miles west of the La. border. I think getting acclimated to the humidity and temps happens. Or can happen. My wife wouldn't think of leaving here and heading back to drier nd colder Canada. She likes it. The last month here has been pretty darn ideal weather wise .... temps from the low to mid eighties as highs and lows in the high 40's to mid 50's in the AM... no rain in 3 weeks (after a very wet spring and summer).

Don't rule out East Texas is the moral of my story!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...ast-texas.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...ast-texas.html
Right on! Bob speaks truth too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 08:51 PM

9,873 posts, read 10,775,821 times
Kathryn and Bob, thank you soo much you guys paint an awseome picture! I could definately get used to the humidity. Would you say that it is worse than in San Antonio? We were there in August... compared to here, sure its a little bit of a shock, but by the end of our stay,(7days) I was good to go! Kathryn the rolls of hay and longhorns sound perfect. Bob where are you in relation to Houston? I cant imagine living IN Houston... but the wife may have job opportunities there.
Thanks again, definately need to see the east side of Texas.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:46 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,273,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Kathryn and Bob, thank you soo much you guys paint an awseome picture! I could definately get used to the humidity. Would you say that it is worse than in San Antonio? We were there in August... compared to here, sure its a little bit of a shock, but by the end of our stay,(7days) I was good to go! Kathryn the rolls of hay and longhorns sound perfect. Bob where are you in relation to Houston? I cant imagine living IN Houston... but the wife may have job opportunities there.
Thanks again, definately need to see the east side of Texas.
Here in northeast Texas, the humidity will be higher generally than in San Antonio. Think about it this way - your skin will love you.

I wouldn't want to live IN Houston either but living outside of Houston wouldn't be bad - and Houston itself has some fabulous amenities, plus you're closer to the coast.

That being said, well, you're closer to the coast. I'd stick to the NORTH side of Houston. Houston has much more severe weather than we do three hours north - more rain, more flooding, more hurricane activity and crazy weather from the Gulf Coast. But...wow, the Woodlands just north of Houston sure is a nice area.

You should definitely scope out the Houston area and the Tyler/Longview area. One thing I really like about Tyler is that it's an easy drive to Dallas and Fort Worth but I don't have to live IN Dallas or Fort Worth.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:56 PM

Finally got back down there 10 day road trip. Drove into Amarillo then on down 287 then dropped down 59 /281 to Stephenville. Loved it . I could live in almost any of those little towns along the way Clarendon , Childress, Jacksboro not too impressed with Mineral Wells. Really like Stephenville, seems big enough you could start up a business there. Liked Marble Falls and Fredericksburg as well, little town called Comfort.
Still have to get over to Tyler, friend of mine is moving up to Ben Wheeler, so I want to get over there and check that area out.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:51 AM

62 posts, read 83,017 times
Unless you have a really good, high-paying job, I struggle to think of a reason why anybody would choose to live in Amarillo. It would be quite a shock going from the beautiful scenery of the PNW to the flat, barren wasteland that is Amarillo.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinjj1 View Post
Unless you have a really good, high-paying job, I struggle to think of a reason why anybody would choose to live in Amarillo. It would be quite a shock going from the beautiful scenery of the PNW to the flat, barren wasteland that is Amarillo.
In a heartbeat Justin, there is more to live than scenery... thing Amarillo has over the PNW is it is in Texas . After you live up here you come to realize green can be over rated and not worth the Gray and the rain. Not to mention the people and politics.

Last edited by silas777; 04-19-2016 at 05:54 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 07:57 PM

32,870 posts, read 12,139,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
In a heartbeat Justin, there is more to live than scenery... thing Amarillo has over the PNW is it is in Texas . After you live up here you come to realize green can be over rated and not worth the Gray and the rain. Not to mention the people and politics.
Great post.

While I wouldn't choose to live in Amarillo, it is a shorter drive to skiing in New Mexico than any other city of 190k + in Texas other than El Paso.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:53 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,171,661 times
I, too, moved to Amarillo from Vancouver, WA. Sometimes I wished I had never left the beautiful NW. At any rate, depending on what you do for a living, jobs are kind of scarce in the panhandle region. The cost of living is pretty cheap, but the work wages also reflect those cheaper costs. Don't expect to find something around here that pays more than $15 an hour unless you're lucky enough to get a job at Bell Helicopters, Pantex, or some supervisor gig at a large company.

DFW metro is where the jobs can be found.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
I, too, moved to Amarillo from Vancouver, WA. Sometimes I wished I had never left the beautiful NW. At any rate, depending on what you do for a living, jobs are kind of scarce in the panhandle region. The cost of living is pretty cheap, but the work wages also reflect those cheaper costs. Don't expect to find something around here that pays more than $15 an hour unless you're lucky enough to get a job at Bell Helicopters, Pantex, or some supervisor gig at a large company.

DFW metro is where the jobs can be found.
We are primarily looking at owning/starting a business not necessarily jobs and We are more inclined towards Stephenville than Amarillo today still doing a lot of research of the different areas.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:24 AM

Due to close June 21. Atascosa. Think we found a great fit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas