Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 04:45 AM

4 posts, read 9,577 times

Advertisements

Help- husband's new job bringing us to Sabine Pass. Any advice out there on where we should live? No kids, so no worries about schools etc -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 07:57 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 03-06-2014 at 06:54 AM..

Old 03-09-2014, 12:34 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,123,654 times
First of all, welcome to the area! Sabine Pass is a wonderful but very small community that is unfortunatly right in harms way of hurricanes. Its been devasted time and again by storm surge. So, many people want to live north of the Port Arthur flood control levy. If you do not have kids and dont care about the schools, Port Arthur is a very economical choice, and just minuits away. There is one area in Port Arthur that might be perfect for you, called Port Acres. Another preferred area to live is the next communities up, Nederland and Port Neches-Groves. There the home are a bit more pricy, due to desirable school systems and lower crime rates. Hope this helps and if I can help more, ask away. Again, welcome.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:11 AM

525 posts, read 718,030 times
Hello! I am also considering a move to the Golden Triangle area for Lamar University. Many people recommend that I look into Lumberton where all the trees begin due to cancer-causing pollution in Beaumont and Port Arthur. I don't know if it's true or not but it is worth considering.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:07 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Texas Cancer Information

Deaths per 1,000 population are listed not incidence of cancer occurrence but Jefferson County is about middle of the pack ... certainly not at the top of the list . Did not see Hardin County listed but did see other counties north of both Jefferson and Hardin County with higher death rates. If one can correlate deaths to incidents of cancer then then it would be a fallacy that the Beaumont area has higher cancer rates.

I would have thought any type of nerd would have been able to find these facts before spouting off rumors ... just sayin' !

Old 03-16-2014, 04:11 AM

To the OP ... Check out Winnie and the Hampshire Fannett areas too.

Quick question: Have you ever seen clouds of hungry aggressive salt water mosquitoes? If not that might be worthy of your investigation.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:49 PM

525 posts, read 718,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
To the OP ... Check out Winnie and the Hampshire Fannett areas too.

Quick question: Have you ever seen clouds of hungry aggressive salt water mosquitoes? If not that might be worthy of your investigation.
I have been wondering about Winnie due to its central location being 30 minutes away from Lamar University in Beaumont and only 50 minutes away from Houston. That way I won't be 1.5 hours away from Houston if I live in Beaumont.

If you recommend it, it must be a nice town. Would rentals (apartments, townhouses, duplexes, & houses) be hard to find based on its size?

Old 03-17-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
I have been wondering about Winnie due to its central location being 30 minutes away from Lamar University in Beaumont and only 50 minutes away from Houston. That way I won't be 1.5 hours away from Houston if I live in Beaumont.

If you recommend it, it must be a nice town. Would rentals (apartments, townhouses, duplexes, & houses) be hard to find based on its size?
Yes, but not impossible on the apartments. Not really sure about the market. I live and hour and 15 minutes from Winnie (north of Beaumont) but have lived in several cities in Jefferson County in the past. Winnie is high enough to escape storm surges from hurricanes too but only 15 minutes from McFadden Beach. It is mostly an agricultural town historically.

Fannett area is another possibility.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:21 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,123,654 times
Bob is on the right track, but Winnie is 15 min. from High Island and the Bolivar peninsula, not McFaddin. McFaddin is near Sabine Pass, south of Port Arthur, not Winnie. I am not trying to be picky, but I did not want you confused on the geography. Winnie is high and dry. Most of it is not even in the Cat. 5 surge zone.

Last edited by southeasttexas; 04-17-2014 at 01:42 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 08:50 PM

4 posts, read 9,577 times
This is all great information, thanks for taking the time to post - obviously plenty of research to do.

You all sound very friendly, but what are these salt water mosquitoes - are they evil disease carrying pests?

Jen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas