Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 08:11 PM

14 posts, read 67,321 times

Advertisements

Does anyone an opinion about Paris, TX? I'm considering moving there but only because it looks as good as any place on the map. The wife, kids, dogs and I are 100% cowboy and we're looking for a new place to call home. Recently retired from the Marines and ready to settle down. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 09:02 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Default Cowboy Towns in Texas

You mentioned your family is 100% cowboy. You might also look at West Texas. Some cities to check out are Abilene and San Angelo. There is lots of country in the surrounding areas and, since you're retired military, both cities have AF bases. You can also look at the Texas Hill Country. There are lots of cowboys in them hills. Bandera calls itself the Cowboy Capital of the World, but that is debatable.

Good luck on your search.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2919/banderatxxt5.jpg (broken link)
Bandera, TX

Old 10-23-2006, 05:57 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
i agree with Steel Man, Abilene and San Angelo and all the small towns in that area would be more what you are looking for than Paris. i recommend ordering that free Texas travel guide from travel tex web site and read about all the regions of Texas and the small towns..it's an invaluable guide

Old 10-23-2006, 08:10 PM

485 posts, read 1,647,927 times
I live 20 miles from Paris and although it is a nice enough town to live in, I wouldn't recommend it for someone who is 100% cowboy. West Texas would definitely be your best bet. When we visit my cousins that live in Clarendon(60 miles from Amarillo) we feel like city folk next to them, even though we definitely aren't city folks. We might be country, but they are extremely WESTERN!

Old 07-24-2009, 01:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,151 times
Paris is a Biggotted, unfriendly,non-progressive,closed-minded, racially prejudiced and boring little hick town. in a word Paris SUCKS ! After living there for 9 miserable years we were finally set free to go back to the best place in the world to live HOUSTON, TEXAS USA

Old 07-24-2009, 07:41 PM

53 posts, read 145,779 times
How close do you want to be to a city? What type of work will you be looking for if any?

Waxahachie is one town I would consider, south of DFW.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:05 PM

25 posts, read 82,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
You mentioned your family is 100% cowboy. You might also look at West Texas. Some cities to check out are Abilene and San Angelo. There is lots of country in the surrounding areas and, since you're retired military, both cities have AF bases. You can also look at the Texas Hill Country. There are lots of cowboys in them hills. Bandera calls itself the Cowboy Capital of the World, but that is debatable.

Good luck on your search.

Bandera, TX
I spent a couple of years in Borger which is northeast of Amarillo, and a couple of years in Mount Pleasant, which is just south of Paris. I agree with Steel Man that west Texas would suit your cowboy family more. I moved to Texas for rodeo and horse training, and both can be found in both the eastern and western parts of the state, but the west end of the state is slower and has and older feel, which I like.

One thing about northeast Texas, the land is more productive and has a greater carrying compacity when considering grazing horses or cattle. Near Amarillo you need about 23 acres for one moma cow, and you need about 3 acres for one cow near Mount Pleasant. For more information google "animal units" and overgrazing etc...

I really like the look of the land south west of Abilene, and north of San Angelo. Palo Duro Canyon is southeast of Amarillo about 15 miles as the crow flies, and is a must see! It has lots of cowboy history too!

I'm living near Austin now because I'm interested in living near environmentalist, but I sure do miss living out west.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:43 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
interesting movie
town, not so much

Old 07-25-2009, 12:14 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,670 times
Paris, Texas was a great movie!

Old 07-25-2009, 12:16 PM

556 posts, read 1,562,789 times
Two things stand out: Soup and the Loop.

Pervasive odor of Campbell Soup brewing at the local plant, and there is a loop around town that will make you feel like you're going nowhere, and you've been nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas