Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:25 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

Each of the cities are best for something, so it is kind of an unanswerable question. OTOH, anyone can answer why they like one or the other in particular, but it does not necessarily mean another person will like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 07:36 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Do you want a small suburb? San Antonio

Do you a want large suburb? Dallas/Houston/Austin

Old 03-19-2014, 12:48 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Best Places to Live in Texas (2012) - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

i guess these are all "cities", and as The Woodlands isnt its own city (or wasnt in 2012, it may be a "township" now? not sure if that would justify it being included in a 2014 list), its not included in the 2012 list. but like Jack Lance pointed out in another thread, The Woodlands is the #1 suburb in Texas. not surprisingly (to those in the know at least), four out of the top five best places to live are in Harris County, including the top three.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:11 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Dallas probably has the best suburbs. Clean, and organized. Most of Houston's are too, but the eastside is very blue collar.
Using "blue collar" to describe Houston or parts of Houston always puzzles me. I don't think ANY part of Houston is mostly blue collar. Blue collar doesn't mean poor.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:26 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Using "blue collar" to describe Houston or parts of Houston always puzzles me. I don't think ANY part of Houston is mostly blue collar. Blue collar doesn't mean poor.
contradicting post

Old 03-28-2014, 09:25 AM

28 posts, read 34,795 times
I have heard LOTS of good things about DFW and it's suburbs! that is where we were looking to begin with and have already done lots of research on that area. I thought it would be fun to get a "majority" opinion and it seems that DFW is still high on the list! Of course, we would love love love to be on the coast! But that puts us in SA area which seems to be lower on the desirable list! But I believe DFW is about a 4hr drive to the coast? And close to Oklahoma as well from what I saw on the maps. I have not done much research on the San Antonio area yet.
Thanks for participating! I always welcome new information and research and opinions on something as big a move as this potentially has!

Old 03-28-2014, 09:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Fort Worth gets my vote - lots of good school districts just outside of Fort Worth, plus you get the benefits of living near such a great metroplex without the high cost of living.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I see what you're saying - people tend to associate "blue collar" with "working poor" in their minds so often. What many people don't realize is that in the oil and gas industry especially, someone can be "blue collar" and making as much money as many doctors and most lawyers! And Houston has lots of oil and gas workers making lots of sweet moolah.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:34 AM

28 posts, read 34,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I see what you're saying - people tend to associate "blue collar" with "working poor" in their minds so often. What many people don't realize is that in the oil and gas industry especially, someone can be "blue collar" and making as much money as many doctors and most lawyers! And Houston has lots of oil and gas workers making lots of sweet moolah.

I completely agree with what you are saying- and its great to know that oil and gas industry workers can have the potential to make decent wages. My husband has looked into the oil industry once before, only tentatively, because he is working in a factory where there isn't much growth or advancement. However, your statement renews my interest in telling him maybe he should look deeper in that field.
But again I agree with you- the line between white collar and blue collar is becoming more broad it seems!

Old 03-28-2014, 11:22 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The post I quoted said that East Houston is blue collar. But it's not-- it's poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas