Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 08:04 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times

Advertisements

The Woodlands is great, but it loses points for being so far from the city. Not that I'd ever consider living in a Houston suburb, but I'd choose Sugar Land and Kingwood before TW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 11:47 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr View Post
The Woodlands........ beautiful
The Woodlands traffic...... not so beautiful
Its nothing compared to I-35 traffic through the Austin area where absolutely zilch has been done to accommodate the immense growth in the region.

At least they're continually widening I-45 (all the way up to Conroe now) & adding HOV/bus lanes. Houston has some of the widest freeways & feeder roads in the World. Its pretty mind blowing actually.

I still can't believe it was just 14 years ago when TW looked like this:

http://www.texasfreeway.com/houston/...-2001_hres.jpg

Now its like a city within a city.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-20-2014 at 12:01 PM..

Old 03-20-2014, 12:22 PM

420 posts, read 705,894 times
Metro Matt, have you ever been able to share an opinion without slamming other places in the process? The Woodlands impresses me, too, but your defamatory remarks towards comparable North Texas suburbs are as inaccurate as they are unnecessary.

Most of Southlake (I'll admit the main thoroughfare on Southlake Blvd is fairly generic Texas suburb) is quite beautiful. Plenty of rolling hills and large custom estates set to a Texas rural country background. I've heard Southlake called a lot of things, but ugly is not one of them. There are other measures of beauty outside of really tall piney trees. It might surprise you how many people could care less about that.

Plano has a lot of nice parks and neighborhoods as well and is very well maintained. "Butt ugly" is not an accurate description for either of these places.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:03 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I still can't believe it was just 14 years ago when TW looked like this:

http://www.texasfreeway.com/houston/...-2001_hres.jpg

Now its like a city within a city.
right? if we could find satellite images of The Woodlands from 15-20 years ago and compared it to now it would be mind boggling. not only has the population more than doubled, but 16 out of the top 23 tallest buildings in the Woodlands (according to Wikipedia.. it doesnt have new developments listed like Anadarko Tower II, the new buildings at Hughes Landing or the ones on the other side of the lake just south of Research Park. quite a bit has been built or is under construction, since 2010, when it appears this list was last updated) were built since 1998. the tallest building in TW before that was a Drury Inn, coming in at 7 stories. and even that was built less than 20 years ago (in 1996). now The Woodlands is home to multiple ~450 footers with plans for a third Anadarko tower (the owner of the two 450' towers), and a 27 story tower on Superblock East, and a few 20 story buildings. its gone from having two highrises (above 10 stories) at the time of the picture you posted, to having at least 15 by next year.

List of tallest buildings in The Woodlands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-20-2014, 03:15 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
Metro Matt, have you ever been able to share an opinion without slamming other places in the process?
I pointed that out to him many times. Anyway. I hope The Woodlands is never incorporated into Houston. In fact, I hope Houston ever annexes again.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I pointed that out to him many times. Anyway. I hope The Woodlands is never incorporated into Houston. In fact, I hope Houston ever annexes again.
I wish Houston could reverse half of the annexation it's done.

I'd reduce Houston's city limits to the Loop, Galleria, the ports, IAH and HOU.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:20 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I wish Houston could reverse half of the annexation it's done.

I'd reduce Houston's city limits to the Loop, Galleria, the ports, IAH and HOU.
You mean strip annex only the good parts outside 610?

Old 03-20-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
You mean strip annex only the good parts outside 610?
Pretty much.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:17 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The list of fastest-growing cities became irrelevant when Texas Tallest GENERALLY stated that TW was the best suburb inTexas.....He didnt say the fastest-growing........which is what the thread is about.
The list is titled Cities on the Rise in Texas , "not the fastest growing" or "best" cities in Texas One could extrapolate that if a city is rising and continues to rise then it obviously will at some point be the "best " if it is not already, but may or may not be at this time.

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/2014/...he-rise-texas/ open the link and scroll down to the actual list and you may learn something.

The list goes all the way to 126 and does include all the suburbs that you guys have mentioned in this thread. BTW No# 126 is poor ole Galveston but I guess that even registering on the list in any position is a good sign that you are indeed rising.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:43 PM

126 posts, read 193,251 times
I never understood why TW has always been regarded as a great city to live in, but doesn't have the great schools other "rival" cities have (as Katy, Sugar Land, SBISD).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas