Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 05:41 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times

Advertisements

I'm native Texan who chose New Mexico when it came time to retire. So I honor both states with the usual symbols proudly displayed. When I began looking for a New Mexico flag, I began at the only large store available to me - Wally World (aka Walmart) - located in New Mexico. And sure enough they had a display of "Your State Flag" - with nothing but TEXAS flags available.

I had to order my NM flag over the internet!

Old 03-26-2014, 06:10 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I'd be curious to see that dynamic in say Farwell/Texico.
I think the only ones in Parmer County who care that the state border runs through Texico and Farwell are the Parmer county tax collectors. Oh, and in recent years, the land developers.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:24 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Even though its pretty typical (as sad as that is), I just want people to know that we don't all think that way. To me, saying that I am used to it, is like just giving up. If I was from another state, I would make it perfectly known that that was NOT ok with me, but that's me.
I appreciate the sentiment but I don't see at as "giving up" as much as just "getting along".

It's not my problem if a Texan is too obsessed about being from Texas. For instance while Bum was driving across another state worrying about dying there instead of in Texas, I drive across another state enjoying the splendor and beauty of that state. While Bum was out counting the flags on businesses in other states and making notes about how it compares with Texas, I'm out looking for a great place to eat that presents the local flavor and cuisine.

If Bum had gotten in my face about it I would have had a clever put down ready for him................But I won't share them on the TEXAS board out of respect for the heroes at the Alamo and Goliad.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:48 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
(Sigh) I posted this commentary from Bum Phillips simply as something for fellow Texans to read and enjoy. I didn't expect (nor did Bum Phillips, I'm quite sure) for some to come along and completely dissect and nitpick every word of it to death. For crying out loud, it is just a man declaring his love and pride for his native state and native fellowman.

To this end, I will say if you are an Okie born and bred in Ok, you love your native land and want to write or talk about your love for it, go for it. The same applies for everyone and no matter where they hail from, if they want to crow about it and feel proud of where they were born and raised, I say that is great.

But for others to take every single word, every phrase, be it off-the-cuff or straight on, is just outright being petty.

I don't understand the why, but it always seems to be one or two, sometimes more, who see it as their mission in life to go around trying to spoil everything they can for everyone else. Seriously, at some point, you should try and get over this. You will find yourself a much happier person by doing so.

I like Ok, have seen some beautiful countryside there as well as in other states. I've had good times in other places, seen things I wouldn't see at home in Texas, talked with people I wouldn't have met in Texas and so on and so on. But at the end of day (or for you nitpickers out there who tend to take every spoken word at 100% face value, this can expand to mean the end of the week, end of the month,etc. LOL hopefully you can grasp what I'm trying to explain to you - you being the nitpickers-), well, at the end of the day, yes, I am ready to come back home and home is Texas. God bless Texas!

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 03-27-2014 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Good post. Just be sure to attack the idea and not the person.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:56 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
(Sigh) I posted this commentary from Bum Phillips simply as something for fellow Texans to read and enjoy. I didn't expect (nor did Bum Phillips, I'm quite sure) for some to come along and completely dissect and nitpick every word of it to death. For crying out loud, it is just a man declaring his love and pride for his native state and native fellowman.

To this end, I will say if you are an Okie born and bred in Ok, you love your native land and want to write or talk about your love for it, go for it. The same applies for everyone and no matter where they hail from, if they want to crow about it and feel proud of where they were born and raised, I say that is great.

But for others to be so small as to try and take every single word, every phrase, be it off-the-cuff or straight on, is just outright being petty.

I don't understand the why, but it always seems to be one or two, sometimes more, who see it as their mission in life to go around trying to spoil everything they can for everyone else. Seriously, at some point, you should try and get over this. You will find yourself a much happier person by doing so.

I like Ok, have seen some beautiful countryside there as well as in other states. I've had good times in other places, seen things I wouldn't see at home in Texas, talked with people I wouldn't have met in Texas and so on and so on. But at the end of day (or for you nitpickers out there who tend to take every spoken word at 100% face value, this can expand to mean the end of the week, end of the month,etc. LOL hopefully you can grasp what I'm trying to explain to you - you being the nitpickers-), well, at the end of the day, yes, I am ready to come back home and home is Texas. God bless Texas!
You got it! I really don't understand why his OPINION would bother someone else.

As another poster said, just because we native Texans love our home state--that doesn't mean we hate all of the others. I enjoyed New Mexico for a number of years before returning--and I will continue to enjoy NM and CO on a regular basis. Just because Texas is HOME, that doesn't mean we can't appreciate what other states have to offer.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:18 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
You got it! I really don't understand why his OPINION would bother someone else.

As another poster said, just because we native Texans love our home state--that doesn't mean we hate all of the others. I enjoyed New Mexico for a number of years before returning--and I will continue to enjoy NM and CO on a regular basis. Just because Texas is HOME, that doesn't mean we can't appreciate what other states have to offer.
Exactly!

Old 03-27-2014, 03:33 PM

554 posts, read 745,595 times
Quote:

<SNIP>

But at the end of day (or for you nitpickers out there who tend to take every spoken word at 100% face value, this can expand to mean the end of the week, end of the month,etc. LOL hopefully you can grasp what I'm trying to explain to you - you being the nitpickers-), well, at the end of the day, yes, I am ready to come back home and home is Texas. God bless Texas!
Thank You, lonestar2007 ... That was well-put, and well-said!
I've been doing "Out-'n-Backs" to & from my HOME State of Texas since the late '90s, and as you (and I believe a couple of others, too) said: "at the end of the day, yes, I am ready to come back home, and home is TEXAS!" God Bless TEXAS!--- emphasis mine - TC
Thanks, Y'all!!

Old 03-27-2014, 04:39 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

I do love Texas and I can think of some states I don't like all that much but there are a few others I like.No offense to Oklahoma,New Mexico and Arkansas people on here and also since I have family there.I just never have learned to appreciate those states but Okies,New Mexicans, and Arkies can be great people too.Those three states are just not my cup of tea.

Last edited by Westerntraveler; 03-27-2014 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-27-2014, 05:04 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:

But for others to take every single word, every phrase, be it off-the-cuff or straight on, is just outright being petty.

I'm not the one you should be having a problem with. My post was directed at protoman's hypersensitivity to Bum's Texas braggin' and his light hearted jabs at other places.

And it's ironic that you couldn't see humor in my so called "nit picking" of Bum's comments yet you seem to be able to recognize that Bum was jesting. I was using sarcastic humor to make a point. That point being that you can enjoy other places without having to constantly compare them to your own home.

And by the way, I cannot stand the phrase "the end of the day." You should be using good ole Texas phrases like "when the dust settles" or "when the hay is in the barn", or "ya'll can go to hell, I'm going to Texas."

Old 03-27-2014, 08:04 PM

161 posts, read 172,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I appreciate the sentiment but I don't see at as "giving up" as much as just "getting along".

It's not my problem if a Texan is too obsessed about being from Texas. For instance while Bum was driving across another state worrying about dying there instead of in Texas, I drive across another state enjoying the splendor and beauty of that state. While Bum was out counting the flags on businesses in other states and making notes about how it compares with Texas, I'm out looking for a great place to eat that presents the local flavor and cuisine.

If Bum had gotten in my face about it I would have had a clever put down ready for him................But I won't share them on the TEXAS board out of respect for the heroes at the Alamo and Goliad.
Well, I don't think they are heroes..but agree to disagree...

I do think you are right though..I mean instead of worrying about this and that, how about just drive across the state and be happy? You seem to have a more positive attitude about the situation and I like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas