Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:48 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,405,289 times

Advertisements

Downtown Dallas has El Centro college and UNT Dallas. You could live in the Uptown area, with trolly and bus service to the colleges, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 01:13 PM

933 posts, read 1,526,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
If I had to drive everyday it'd be a living hell and I might get my license revoked anyway. I don't want to lease Texas, I'm scared to go alone and I don't know even know where I'd actually go. Unless therapy magically cures me (at least the problem that prevents me from driving) its going to be hell just going to community college and probably getting to work for the time I have to stay at home before moving on. Even if my parents drove me around people would probably laugh at me. So why would I stay longer?
El Centro in Downtown would be accessible by DART light rail as it is a pretty short walk from the West End Station. If you pick somewhere either close to a DART light rail station or on a bus route that leads to a DART light rail station, then that is always an option.

Collin College's Spring Creek Campus in Plano is also serviced by a bus route that hooks up to the Parker Road DART light rail station.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:32 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,939,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Texas has public transportation - ROADS!!! And a lot of them - it is a big state.

If you mean subsidized mass transit, then Texas has little of it.

The OP could live in a downtown area and walk.
I meant subsidized mass transit like the kind you would find in NYC not roads.I am sorry for the misunderstanding and confusion.

Last edited by Westerntraveler; 03-30-2014 at 03:06 PM..

Old 03-30-2014, 07:40 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,405,289 times
Ain't no such thing in Texas. Consider this. DFW airport is bigger than Manhattan. The DFW Metro area is 9000 square miles. You can put NY on one side, Philadelphia on the other and DFW would encompass both.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:14 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,703,514 times
Dallas has the best rail system in Tx, probably the best in this part of the country.

Austin has a starter rail system, new bus rapid transit, decent bike lanes and Car2go which works if you only need a car occasionally. Austin's downtown is a work/play/live one in that it has jobs, condos, and retail including a grocery store.

Houston has a rail system which is being being expanded to UofH and TSU.

San Antonio has had rapid bus for a number of years but no rail yet.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:21 PM

746 posts, read 862,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Dallas has the best rail system in Tx, probably the best in this part of the country.

Austin has a starter rail system, new bus rapid transit, decent bike lanes and Car2go which works if you only need a car occasionally. Austin's downtown is a work/play/live one in that it has jobs, condos, and retail including a grocery store.

Houston has a rail system which is being being expanded to UofH and TSU.

San Antonio has had rapid bus for a number of years but no rail yet.
What do you mean Austin is a work/play/live one?

Old 03-30-2014, 10:09 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,703,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
What do you mean Austin is a work/play/live one?
First let me say that I don't know if there are such areas in other Texas cities, I'm just not that familiar with them to say.

Downtown Austin has an abundance of jobs and in the last 10 years there have been quite a few high rise condos built including the tallest residential building in Texas. It is possible to live and work in the Central Business District and for the *most* part not venture out of this central area. There is enough in the way of entertainment and amenities including most importantly, a grocery store (and a second one on the way), to make the rest of Austin irrelevant most of the time. This situation is not the most prevalent as most people only work and sometimes play in DT Austin, but it is viable if you have the means.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,035,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Well, Houston by far & away has the largest bus fleet in Texas & one of the largest in the nation.

Dallas has the best rail then Houston.

Austin is a very bike friendly city, but its rail sucks.
Austin is not as bike friendly as some might want to believe. It all depends on where you are. One key problem for many is that it is hilly here. You need some fitness and a good bicycle to get around here. Many well known roads are not bike friendly at all.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:38 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,648,499 times
I get along fine in Victoria without driving. My affordable apartment complex is within walking distance of HEB, library, hospital, doctors office. Bus service is comprehensive and reliable, and goes everywhere I need to go. I'd ride a bike if I could, streets are flat and square blocks, so would be easy to bike through residential areas to avoid busy streets. Victoria is big enough that I never need to "go to the city", but there is Greyhound stop about five times a day on the Houston/Mexico route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas