U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,842 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I am relocating from Miami, Fl. I would like to know where I can find employment? I am in the IT field. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2006, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,256 times
Arlington is mostly a college city with UT-Arlington right in the middle of the city so you might could try that route. I know they were hiring systems administrators a few months back.

My brother and friend moved to Arlington and I did a few wireless network installs up there so the work is there.

Big plus is the amount of asian girls around there. The white girls are mucho fine there too. Can catch nice view of them from the mall. Which is a really big ass mall.

I think you will like it there. Dallas is right up the road and isn't bad of a commute if you have to work there. I would much rather live in Arlington and commute to Dallas.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:46 PM

5 posts, read 16,207 times
I agree. Arlington is really nice and the homes are priced really reasonably as well.

Old 04-23-2006, 09:02 PM

12 posts, read 57,340 times
Arlington is not mostly a college city if you aks me. But Arlington is a good place to live if you want to be away from Dallas or Fort Worth but still live within a good commute time. And yes, the houses/apartments are very reasonably priced.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:10 PM

33 posts, read 7,181 times
How do you compare Arlington to Plano in terms of the followig factors:

Which of these two is better based on the following factors:

1) Neighborhood in terms of safety
2) Diversity in terms of Asians and Hispanics
3) Difficulty of commute to Downtown Dallas
4) Property Tax
5) More places around the areas for dining, shopping, etc.

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:04 PM

1,067 posts, read 3,895,520 times
I went to UTA and yes it is in the heart of the city. Arlington though is big and to me North Arlington is far from Central but Central is fairly close to South Arlington. I would not live in central arlington though. It tends to be a bit more rough. I use to go to church over there about 2 miles from the University going towards the Mall. I had friends who lived in that area and were having a hard time with unruley kids having nothing to do plus the old Winn Dixie where Amber Hagerman was taken, well I use to shop there too and it just seems to not be the best to live in. North Arlington off of Collins area and that area are more upscale with some really nice apartments. I have not been to the Bardin, Cooper Street area of Arlington going south to Mansfield in years. Last I went, there still seemed to be some nice areas.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:50 PM

4 posts, read 12,862 times
Default Reply to your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydata2006
How do you compare Arlington to Plano in terms of the followig factors:

Which of these two is better based on the following factors:

Both cities are way too big to classify in terms of safety. There are plenty of safe areas and some areas to stay away from.

Again, both areas are huge and there's plenty of diversity

Plano is much closer and easier to reach downtown Dallas from than Arlington

4) Property Tax
Not sure on this one.

Probably more shopping in Arlington than Plano but again both have plenty and I think you'd have everything you'd ever want in Arlington without having to go to Dallas, however, if you were in Plano, Dallas isn't that far and there's NOTHING you can't get in Dallas.

Thanks.

Both cities are way too big to classify in terms of safety. There are plenty of safe areas and some areas to stay away from.

Again, both areas are huge and there's plenty of diversity

Plano is much closer and easier to reach downtown Dallas from than Arlington

4) Property Tax
Not sure on this one.

Probably more shopping in Arlington than Plano but again both have plenty and I think you'd have everything you'd ever want in Arlington without having to go to Dallas, however, if you were in Plano, Dallas isn't that far and there's NOTHING you can't get in Dallas.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:02 AM

1,067 posts, read 3,895,520 times
If you want a job in IT most of the jobs will be in the north sector of Dallas. There are jobs all around but mainly the IT industy is based in Dallas. Plano has good shopping as well. There is Collin Creek Mall and The Shops at Willowbend. The latter of the 2 is the best mall for Plano. Also Frisco has Stonebriar Centre which is upscale and not that far from some parts of Plano.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:29 PM

591 posts, read 1,694,292 times
^Upscale malls on the Dallas side of the metroplex: The Shops at Willowbend, Galleria Dallas, Northpark Center, and an honorable mention to Highland Park Village. No other malls can compete with those.

Citydata2006, just go with Plano as it's the nicer one of the two.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:50 PM
RCL

123 posts, read 520,247 times
I do tech as well and had the opportunity to do some work for a company in the Arlington area a few years back (2001) and while I didn't live there I travelled there frequently. It's a nice town with many good amenities, just be aware there are some seedy parts of town, just as you'd find anywhere. If you can afford it, I'd recommend living in Grapevine and commuting to Dallas. The schools are some of the best in Texas, if not the entire country, and the neighborhoods are safe and well kept up. I haven't been to Plano, but I hear nice things about it. Also, I have heard from other people that a fair amount of Tech Sector jobs are in or near Plano, although I don't know your specialty (Tech Sector proper vs. IT specialty within another industry.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas