Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:54 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times

Advertisements

This thread was started in the Houston Architecture thread so I thought i'd take some initiative and start it here.

Dallas and Houston's downtown are currently undergoing some major renaissances. Dallas is seeing a major additon to its downtown with Dallas Victory which includes major things like Dallas Victory Plaza, American Airlines Center, Major condo/apartment development, the Mercantile Project is happending in Downtown Dallas and other things which is too much for me to go into detail right now.

Houston, on the other hand, has been slowly adding things for the last 6 or 7 years in the eastide of its downtown. The difference is Dallas's new stuff is by one developer and is popping up all at once, so it appears hotter right now. But Houston's east side of downtown is almost like a mini Victory except its' IN downtown. Houston's east downtown has added (or will add): The Hilton Americas, GRB Convention Center expansion, Minute Maid Park, Toyota Center, 1 Park Place, Discovery Green urban Park, Houston Pavilions (which will connect with Main Street 3 blocks), and the proposed Houston Dynamo Stadium.

I have to say that its an exciting time for both cities' downtown areas right now. I think Dallas's development may be a little more eye catching simply because it has the large video screens but that doesn't make it better. I think Houston's development will in the end feel more urban because everything' already in place, now its just a matter of conecting the dots. What do you all think?

Which one in the end will be the hotter area?

Last edited by stoneclaw; 12-07-2007 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 04:59 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Default Too Early To Tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
This thread was started in the Houston Architecture thread so I thought i'd take some initiative and start it here.

Dallas and Houston's downtown are currently undergoing some major renaissances. Dallas is seeing a major additon to its downtown with Dallas Victory which includes major things like Dallas Victory Plaza, American Airlines Center, Major condo/apartment development, the Mercantile Project is happending in Downtown Dallas and other things which is too much for me to go into detail right now.

Houston, on the other hand, has been slowly adding things for the last 6 or 7 years in the eastide of its downtown. The difference is Dallas's new stuff is by one developer and is popping up all at once, so it appears hotter right now. But Houston's east side of downtown is almost like a mini Victory except its' IN downtown. Houston's east downtown has added (or will add): The Hilton Americas, GRB Convention Center expansion, Minute Maid Park, Toyota Center, 1 Park Place, Discovery Green urban Park, Houston Pavilions (which will connect with Main Street 3 blocks).

I have to say that its an exciting time for both cities' downtown areas right now. I think Dallas's development may be a little more eye catching simply because it has the large video screens but that doesn't make it better. I think Houston's development will in the end feel more urban because everything' already in place, now its just a matter of conecting the dots. What do you all think?

Which one in the end will be the hotter area?
It's too early to say, C2H. From a visibility standpoint, it appears Dallas Victory has the edge. But I would check back in a couple more years for Houston. They should get some credit for combining the old with the new. And if a possible new stadium for the Dynamo is approved and gets built near that area, look out!

Old 12-07-2007, 05:51 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Houston's East Side will have the Houston Dynamo stadium and two light rail lines going through it. I would give Houston the edge, especially since it isn't being built all by one developer.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:08 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
Here we go again...
"DALLAS!"
"NO!!! HOSTON!!!!"
"NOOO!! DALLAS"
"Houston is Bigger"
"Dallas has a bigger metro"
"Houston has a taller skyline"
"Dallas has a Night-Friendly skyline"
"SHUT UP! HoUsToN 4-EvA"

I Personally think that they're both going overall going to end up at the same place. Houston may keep on jogging slowly, but Dallas has short sprints that pass houston, then Houston passes it again and it take a while for Dallas to pass it... They are both just industrial areas of high growth... nothing special, what the future hold for these cities... I don't know, I've been trying to find out about that.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:23 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Here we go again...
"DALLAS!"
"NO!!! HOSTON!!!!"
"NOOO!! DALLAS"
"Houston is Bigger"
"SHUT UP! HoUsToN 4-EvA"

I Personally think that they're both going overall going to end up at the same place. Houston may keep on jogging slowly, but Dallas has short sprints that pass houston, then Houston passes it again and it take a while for Dallas to pass it... They are both just industrial areas of high growth... nothing special, what the future hold for these cities... I don't know, I've been trying to find out about that.
Maybe you should just add something constructive to the conversation. Then maybe, just maybe, it wouldn't turn out like that.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:02 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Here we go again...
"DALLAS!"
"NO!!! HOSTON!!!!"
"NOOO!! DALLAS"
"Houston is Bigger"
"SHUT UP! HoUsToN 4-EvA"

This is just a comparison between two new developments, that's all. We're only looking at Dallas Victory and the new Downtown East development in Houston. Both will be good new places.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:34 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Doesnt this belong in the Houston VS Dallas thread??? Jeez how many more H v D topics can we have? Next thing you know someone will start on titles like....Who's grass grows faster or does the sun rise first in Dallas or Houston?

Old 12-09-2007, 02:37 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,245,491 times
OT but couldnt resist, I'll vote for the town where the grass grows the slowest! Woohoo no lawn mower

Old 12-10-2007, 08:28 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
This is just a comparison between two new developments, that's all. We're only looking at Dallas Victory and the new Downtown East development in Houston. Both will be good new places.
no because like case 44 said, this is just comparing two new developments, not dallas and houston in general.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:37 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Even though it was generally built around borrowed ideas, I find Victory Park more interesting. Judging from the past few years, Houston developers have been smoking something.

And I'm a proud Houstonian, so no this isn't just another Houston vs. Dallas thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas