Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 06:25 AM
rwr

268 posts, read 612,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
May I ask what their majors were?
2000 A&M Grad: Electronic Engineering Technology
2002 A&M Grad: Civil Engineering
2010 U.T. Grad: Sports Information(?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 10:43 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr View Post
2000 A&M Grad: Electronic Engineering Technology
2002 A&M Grad: Civil Engineering
2010 U.T. Grad: Sports Information(?)
That's the key. It probably had nothing to do with networking in this case. The UT grad earned a much less marketable degree.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:12 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Graduating from any school, even an Ivy with a liberal arts degree just plain sucks. I know a guy that went to UPenn managing a bar in Wyoming. He's happy which is all that matters but still, that shows where most college kids are ending up.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:42 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
To me, despite all the similarities like student population and shared history, UT and A&M have quite different personalities if when looking at the student population and student life as a whole. My choice between schools came down to between these two.

A&M is quite conservative. Their student council is quite literally dealing with a fringe conservative student group trying to impose moral majority regulations. It is VERY white compared to the rest of Texas and UT, and very disproportionately Catholic as well. College Station is almost universally regarded as a boring college town. Sororities are fairly popular, but not fraternities. Their engineering school has a plan to have 25,000 students enrolled by 2025, which is just about the most awful idea I can imagine an engineering school pursuing. That said, they have an awesome alumni network, and almost every Aggie I know is as nice and smart as can be.

I'm currently at UT. It is urban and diverse, so much so that students can and often do segregate quite easily. The student population doesn't seem as friendly as A&M's. Very much a work hard/play hard mentality. Especially in the engineering school, the students seem much more competitive and ambitious. Greek life is much more prevalent, making West Campus almost unlivable. Austin is quite expensive, but an ideal college town otherwise IMO.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:50 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
To me, despite all the similarities like student population and shared history, UT and A&M have quite different personalities if when looking at the student population and student life as a whole. My choice between schools came down to between these two.

A&M is quite conservative. Their student council is quite literally dealing with a fringe conservative student group trying to impose moral majority regulations. It is VERY white compared to the rest of Texas and UT, and very disproportionately Catholic as well. College Station is almost universally regarded as a boring college town. Sororities are fairly popular, but not fraternities. Their engineering school has a plan to have 25,000 students enrolled by 2025, which is just about the most awful idea I can imagine an engineering school pursuing. That said, they have an awesome alumni network, and almost every Aggie I know is as nice and smart as can be.

I'm currently at UT. It is urban and diverse, so much so that students can and often do segregate quite easily. The student population doesn't seem as friendly as A&M's. Very much a work hard/play hard mentality. Especially in the engineering school, the students seem much more competitive and ambitious. Greek life is much more prevalent, making West Campus almost unlivable. Austin is quite expensive, but an ideal college town otherwise IMO.
Yes A&M is conservative. That reflects its history and focus on agriculture, engineering, and business.

Disproportionately Catholic? Do you just make stuff up?

College Station universally regarded as a boring college town? By who? UT students? College Station WAS boring many years ago. I would not classify it as anything like Austin. But for an 18-22 year old there is no shortage of activities, both off and on campus. Vastly improved food and drink from 20 years ago.

The engineering school enrollment idea is controversial. I'm not sure what to think of it. But at its core is a goal to produce more engineers, which is a national problem.

Someone above posted demographics for the two campuses. The primary difference between the two is the significantly higher percentage of Asians at UT.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:21 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
For me, the lack of opportunity in the field of fine and performing arts at A&M is a major difference.

UT Austin has long placed emphasis on the arts, offering BFA and MFA degrees for many years, as well as PhD in Art History, Education and Musicology. A large amount of campus is given over to the College of Fine Arts, including the Bass Recital Hall, Harry Ransom Center, and most recently, Blanton Museum of Fine Art. The college of art library alone is as large as many a city main library. Overall, The University of Texas at Austin’s library system is the nation’s fifth-largest academic library and is one of the top 10 research libraries in the nation.

Texas A&M only awarded the first MFA degrees in 2012, and as yet still has a very limited fine arts program. Their concentration has been on media arts to date, under the auspices of the College of Architecture.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:

Catholic? Really? I would've thought over the top evangelical.

It's also true that A&M is a nicer campus with less competitive, less A type people. That's a good thing as UT Austin does have those types that are just super competitive, awkward and not as friendly. Its a typical top school in that regard.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:03 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
It is probably worth noting that the major portion of both student populations are interchangeable. The differences are more at the fringes than people give them credit for, especially over the last 10 years or so.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:12 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Yes A&M is conservative. That reflects its history and focus on agriculture, engineering, and business.

Disproportionately Catholic? Do you just make stuff up?

College Station universally regarded as a boring college town? By who? UT students? College Station WAS boring many years ago. I would not classify it as anything like Austin. But for an 18-22 year old there is no shortage of activities, both off and on campus. Vastly improved food and drink from 20 years ago.

The engineering school enrollment idea is controversial. I'm not sure what to think of it. But at its core is a goal to produce more engineers, which is a national problem.

Someone above posted demographics for the two campuses. The primary difference between the two is the significantly higher percentage of Asians at UT.
Please don't take my opinions as an affront to the university. I actually greatly respect the school and nearly went there. I'll admit that I don't have any statistics on Catholicism there. I'm largely just repeating what my good friend who's a Catholic Aggie has said, as well as my own experiences visiting. I could very well be wrong, but then again, the main places I'm comparing CS to are Lubbock and Austin.

My comment about College Station is actually me echoing what my Aggie friends say. College Station is comparatively a ghost town on non-game weekends compared to week days because so many are in Austin or Houston.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:49 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Please don't take my opinions as an affront to the university. I actually greatly respect the school and nearly went there. I'll admit that I don't have any statistics on Catholicism there. I'm largely just repeating what my good friend who's a Catholic Aggie has said, as well as my own experiences visiting. I could very well be wrong, but then again, the main places I'm comparing CS to are Lubbock and Austin.

My comment about College Station is actually me echoing what my Aggie friends say. College Station is comparatively a ghost town on non-game weekends compared to week days because so many are in Austin or Houston.
I didn't take your comments as an affront.

If A&M is dominated by a religion, it would not be Catholic. How did you observe during your visits there that the Catholics dominate? I can't tell by looking at someone that they are Catholic or Baptist or Methodist or something else.

(I have a child at UT and A&M right now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas