Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 12:51 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,928,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
C'mon guys! The hours long trips across the state can be grueling. It's not like there are miles and miles of stretches of coastal bliss like driving down from MA to NY or going down the the PCH in CA.
I am just used to hours upon hours in the car and I like the scenery in a lot of Texas like the Trans-Pecos,Big Spring to Weatherford,Hill Country, Coastal Bend,Pecos to Penwell. and Concho Valley.I enjoy long car rides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 08:03 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,914,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
RIGHT LOL

People complain about the silliest things.

"Geez this 15 hour drive across the state of Texas would be so much more entertaining if the state wasn't so big"
But thing is, vast areas of Texas don't provide interesting scenery or historical points of interest. Much of South Texas is just an endless, scrubby flatland devoid of people. Most of the drive between Austin and Lubbock is an endless bore. There is some interesting, very rugged country between Lubbock and Fort Worth, starting somewhere west of Olney and Seymour, but before that its fairly uninteresting. Some of East Texas is pretty, but large areas are also pine monoculture planted for the timber industry, with lots of cut-down swaths at any particular point in time. The Trans-Pecos may have some stunning scenery, but the Permian Basin is basically ugly. Outside of Spring, much of the countryside looks brown and barren the other three seasons. The Red River Valley is ugly, ugly, ugly IMO. So are most of the South Plains and Panhandle, but I admit to having a completely irrational sentimental attachment to the "scenery" there, stemming from my teen years and early twenties driving all over that part of the state.

Interstate highways are largely dreadful anywhere, and parts of I-35 between Austin and San Antonio are ok, but taking the train to get efficiently from one city to another along the I-35 corridor just isn't an option, because what train service there is doesn't run with adequate frequency. In the Northeast Corridor you can get a train of one sort or another at half hour intervals throughout the day running between DC and Boston, with connections and less frequent service down the whole eastern seaboard. You don't have to deal with the aggro involved with flying in post-9/11 America, and the whole time cooling your heels at the airport. I've driven all over Texas and really hate most of the inter-city drives. The point is, you can't avoid the drives unless you want to deal with the expense and inefficiencies of flying (and at various times I've flown between Austin and Lubbock, DFW, and Harlingen).

So, basically for scenery in Texas and interesting drives you have the Hill Country, the Trans-Pecos, and parts of Deep East Texas, plus arguably a bit of the Caprock. There are some other hidden areas, such as parts of Bosque County and Palo Pinto County, but they are completely off the beaten path and one is unlikely to drive through them on the way to a city destination.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:21 AM

2 posts, read 11,059 times
I'm not from TX. I live in TN. I can say there are pros and cons in the cities I've visited in TX. Yes. I've been to each city more than twice. in my opinion I do not think Texas is as beautiful as Tennessee. However everytime that I take a drive into Texas surprisingly the east side of Texas is lush and green has a little bit of hills and looks better than the west part of Tennessee. I think San Antonio is completely ugly it looks very dry and very flat Dallas and Houston have their eye sores as well however there are areas outside the city that are absolutely gorgeous. the land in texas is flat it is what it is with that state and I certainly wouldn't expect it to be anything else. I like Houston and I like Dallas because the people are both friendly just like they are in Tennessee. I have considered moving there because the cost of living is the same or less in Tennessee the pay is more there is no state tax and I'm used to humid heat accept Texas has a very mild winter. I would be sacrificing scenery and given up traffic and moving to a more populated more polluted area which is to be expected considering that Houston and Dallas are bigger city and more populated. but to each his own and it's what is most important to you

Old 07-01-2014, 10:58 AM

4,421 posts, read 5,294,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoodmore View Post
I'm not from TX. I live in TN. I can say there are pros and cons in the cities I've visited in TX. Yes. I've been to each city more than twice. in my opinion I do not think Texas is as beautiful as Tennessee. However everytime that I take a drive into Texas surprisingly the east side of Texas is lush and green has a little bit of hills and looks better than the west part of Tennessee. I think San Antonio is completely ugly it looks very dry and very flat Dallas and Houston have their eye sores as well however there are areas outside the city that are absolutely gorgeous. the land in texas is flat it is what it is with that state and I certainly wouldn't expect it to be anything else. I like Houston and I like Dallas because the people are both friendly just like they are in Tennessee. I have considered moving there because the cost of living is the same or less in Tennessee the pay is more there is no state tax and I'm used to humid heat accept Texas has a very mild winter. I would be sacrificing scenery and given up traffic and moving to a more populated more polluted area which is to be expected considering that Houston and Dallas are bigger city and more populated. but to each his own and it's what is most important to you
San Antonio and Austin have the most hills of any major Texas city outside of El Paso and they receive the same amount of rain as Dallas.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:38 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,733,547 times
Pros

1. Incredibly affordable.
2. Great food. Tex mex and real Mexican, BBQ, southern, great ethnic food in Hoyston and Dallas
3. Very nice people
4. Exciting weather. Lots of powerful thunderstorms.
5. An outstanding amount of racial diversity. More than most people realize

Cons

1. Hideous sprawl with few walkable communities to counter it
2. Race relations are rather poor. Instead of discussing things to make it better, most would rather sweep everything under the rug
3. Outside of San Antonio and a few barrios and old black neighborhoods there isn't much in the way of history or unique culture
4. Overall provincial mindsets. Creativity and individuality came to Texas only to die. Austin and Houston do offer some relief.
5. The landscape is rather underwhelming
6. Rick Perry

Old 07-01-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
San Antonio and Austin have the most hills of any major Texas city outside of El Paso and they receive the same amount of rain as Dallas.
Dallas is most definitely greener and wetter than Austin and San Antonio.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Dallas is most definitely greener and wetter than Austin and San Antonio.
Dallas 37.57 inches

San Antonio 32.27

Austin 34.24

So as you can see that is not a "large" difference. Depending on the year San Antonio might be greener than Dallas or Dallas may be greener than San Antonio.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:25 PM

34,807 posts, read 30,852,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoodmore View Post
The difference between TN and TX is that you can actually find work in TX.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Dallas 37.57 inches

San Antonio 32.27

Austin 34.24

So as you can see that is not a "large" difference. Depending on the year San Antonio might be greener than Dallas or Dallas may be greener than San Antonio.
I'm not referring to the intensity of green but rather the plant life. Dallas is generally more lush with bigger trees. Despite not receiving a great deal more rainfall, the North Texas region is more fertile.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I'm not referring to the intensity of green but rather the plant life. Dallas is generally more lush with bigger trees. Despite not receiving a great deal more rainfall, the North Texas region is more fertile.
Ahh makes sense and I agree with the larger/ more trees comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas