Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 05:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,788,442 times

Advertisements

The football fans in Odessa (Midland as well) are HORRIBLE.

Well, if that did indeed happen (spitting, really..?), it's disgusting.

Football in all forms is vastly overrated (ever read Friday Night Lights?) in West Texas...as well as most of the rest of the state. I have lived here nearly 30 years, and I have NEVER attended a regular local football game, ever, and I have NO intention of ever starting. Area high schools (or any of them, for that matter) don't interest me in the least. I've been to ONE football game in the area, and that was my old hometown high school that had made it to the playoffs. They played here in the new Grande stadium. I only went because one of my friends asked me to.

It's a god out in these parts.......

Having said that, there is more to West Texas than football, though you'd have a hard time believing that from the way it's worshipped here.

Dang, I hate high school football.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:08 PM

Cathy, honestly I don't remember when we had a good, substantial, all day rain. Last year sometime. I was in the Austin....

From what I hear, it's just burned up dry.

This last winter and this summer have been just too, too weird for most of the state. I hope to be on my way to the higher elevations before long.

I'm as far east as I ever want to be...and as low as I ever want to be.

If I could afford it, I would head to Durango, CO--or Los Alamos, NM.

But the RE prices are just OUT of sight.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:41 PM

138 posts, read 749,124 times
Yep, I have a friend in Durango. she is working 2 jobs to pay monthly expenses.
How about some small wide place in the road in northern New Mexico. Is that any cheaper??
Or have you looked in the Creede/Lake City area of southern Colorado?? Now there is a pass between Creede and Lake City that is nearly 14,000 ft. Can't get too much higher than than and breathe easily LOL.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:24 PM

How about some small wide place in the road in northern New Mexico. Is that any cheaper??

LOL!!! That's about the size of it....but seriously, I am taking two newspapers (Farmington Daily News and Los Alamos Monitor)....and Farmington seems to fit the bill, even with all of the downsides. It's fairly close to Durango, so it will be easy to go skiing a couple of times a week during ski season....yet not have so much snow that you're shoveling it all of the time. It also has two indoor swim centers (I swim 10 months of the year) and all of the amenties, without being huge.

14,000 ft? That's a little TOO high, methinks....

Old 10-03-2006, 04:14 AM

2 posts, read 16,912 times
Thumbs up Midland, Odessa

I lived in Midland for 16 years. My son went to Lee High School and graduated in 1997. It was the best thing I could have done for my son. He was in the band and had a great experience.
We recently moved to Alabama and my son chose to return to Midland. I would definately recommend the community and the schools.

The only problems I could report are the water and the dust.

I really miss Midland.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:12 AM

I lived in Midland for 16 years. My son went to Lee High School and graduated in 1997. It was the best thing I could have done for my son. He was in the band and had a great experience.

Interesting how different your son's experience is from the other.

I still think it's so overrated (and I even thought that in high school and college, LOL).....but....different strokes.

Is he glad to be back?

The dust can get bad, yes.....and one does not usually drink the water straight from the tap, though it is worlds better than it was 20 years ago. I get bottled water at 30¢/gal for drinking.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 10-03-2006 at 09:24 AM..

Old 10-04-2006, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,368 times
Default Relocating to M/O, have to choose one

My husband just got transferred out to Odessa, and I'm going to be joining him out there after the first of the year from Houston, and we're trying to decide where to live. We are looking to rent right now until we decide where to settle, but we're looking for a house to rent instead of an apartment, because we have 2 dogs, and I'll lose my mind if I have to keep them cooped up all day! Does anyone out there know where we can find out where houses for rent would be in the area? I've looked a few places on the internet, but didn't seem to find much. Also, my company will be opening me up an office out there, I'm an insurance agent, and I'm wondering which town would be better to open up in? I've looked at reports about the economy out there, but you never know till you've been out there. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 10-04-2006, 06:27 PM

Does anyone out there know where we can find out where houses for rent would be in the area? I've looked a few places on the internet, but didn't seem to find much.

I don't know about the rental/housing market in Odessa, but Midland's is rather tight right now. Many rentals here are not too keen on pets, either, but you might be able to find something if you contact some of the realtors in the area. If the link is removed, try the local newspaper mywesttexas (add appropriate url info) and click on "real estate" on the main page. They might be able to refer you to someone who can help you.

http://www.homeswesttexas.com/newLis...8700ad6999d426

Old 10-05-2006, 12:00 PM

130 posts, read 870,548 times
I would imagine that you are going to have limited options right now. In west TX, things get tight as far as real estate when oil is doing well. Some west TX communities have tried to diversify but everything still revolves around the oil business.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:12 AM

43 posts, read 169,350 times
I grew up in Andrews...left when I was 16 for the bright lights and city faces. Kept going back (to Odessa) because I had so many friends there and loved the people....and for the most part the weather. I H A T E humidity!

I have a nice home in Farmers Branch (North Dallas area) that I am going to put on the market soon. Wish I could just pick it up and take it with me somewhere. I have been looking at drier climates.....Southern New Mexico, Southern Arizona....all over everywhere. I would love to be in a drier climate with a lower cost of living to spend the rest of my life. Been everywhere and seen everything.....tired now and just want to live as hassle free as possible. From what I can tell, the cost of living in Texas...as far as housing goes...is more bang for your buck for sure.

I considered Odessa again. Still have a FEW friends there, though most are gone.Someone once said "Move to Midland to raise your kids, and move to Odessa to raise hell". I was always bored out of my mind in Midland and found it to be somewhat pretentous compaired to Odessa....but the last time I was in Odessa, it looked so sad and desolate. Hard to see when you remember the "feast". That place was SO MUCH fun when it was hopping! I know you can't move "from", you have to move "to"....but I am having a hard time finding a place to get excited about. Moving back to the permain basin might be tough looking for and remembering the "good ol' days"....than again, maybe not. Might feel like home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas