Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most favorite to least favorite
Nacogdoches 22 37.29%
Lufkin 5 8.47%
Longview 4 6.78%
Tyler 17 28.81%
Texarkana 11 18.64%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 02:00 PM

816 posts, read 1,939,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
From my experiences:

Tyler
Huntsville
Lufkin
Nacogdoches
Longview
Texarkana

I lived in East Texas for 5 years (Huntsville), it's extremely slow but very attractive. Fall is my favorite time of the year in East Texas, beautiful, but I put a lot of miles on my car driving back to Houston every weekend. I did enjoy the football games and a few of the parties and clubs/bars but it's very slow...but attractive lol.

Also, you guys rarely mention Huntsville, I thought it was in East Texas???
I find that kind of odd. As a Native East Texan, I consider Huntsville to be part of East Texas. Heck, I consider Kingwood (Northeast Houston) to be part of East Texas, but it is right next to Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 11:38 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,560,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
well, where in the arklatex, Little Rock, Shreveport, Baton Rouge, Norleans, and Texas?

Two zoos, in East Texas, Lufkin, Tyler, Tyler's written up in Southern Living voted one of the top zoos in the South.

UTTyler Cowen Center, Look at the schedule, performances stop here that go thru Houston, Dallas.

People enjoy the zoo here who come from DFW. Several have written "letters to the editor" stating how they really enjoyed the zoo in Tyler, and to "please keep the zoo a secret, quite" don't advertise the zoo it may become too crowded. Zoo started charging admission and attendance dropped from 600,000 per year to about 350,000.

Actually no where in Texas do you get the lowest city property tax rate as you do in Tyler.

The only Level One Trauma Center ETMC. Fort Worth only has one. John Peter Smith

The East Texas Symphony compares well to Houston Symphony which I enjoyed my 25 years in Houston. ETS of course isn't as large, but very surprisingly good.

All for now, I'm tired. This stuff gets old, even for me, lol.
The East Texas Symphony doesn't come close to the Houston Symphony, STOP IT!

People don't move to Tyler because the exclusive Tyler amenities draw them to the city.

Shreveport would be the "capitol" over Tyler anyday when it comes to amenities. When it comes to nightlife and God knows what else.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:43 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,869,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Having lived in both towns, I can see how someone might prefer Longview over Tyler (though personally I prefer Tyler). It's a matter of priorities and tastes, of course. Longview doesn't have the traffic and congestion issues that Tyler has - because it doesn't have all the amenities and attractions that Tyler has. But it has ALL the basics anyone could ever need, and some frills as well. It's got most of the chain stores that Tyler has, albeit in smaller forms usually - but they're quite suitable. My son prefers the Longview Mall over the Tyler mall - he says it has more functional stores and less fluff, and I can see his point. Longview has fewer "nice" or unique restaurants, but it has just about any food venue you could ask for, including some excellent Asian options (authentic Thai and Vietnamese, for instance).

If you're not into shopping and dining out, but prefer a simpler, and yet very convenient lifestyle, then I can see how Longview would be preferable. It's easy to live in Longview - but for me, it doesn't meet my "fluff" desires - or one of my most basic necessities in life, which is a market like Fresh or Central Market or Whole Foods. It does, however, have several excellent health food stores.
Tyler has both of those too. We're even getting our 1st Filipino restaurant, Steak N Shake, Scooters Coffee, & Icehouse beer joint over by UT Tyler. YAYYY!!! It should all be done by June.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:44 PM

67,654 posts, read 60,300,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

People don't move to Tyler because the exclusive Tyler amenities draw them to the city.

Shreveport would be the "capitol" over Tyler anyday when it comes to amenities. When it comes to nightlife and God knows what else.
Interesting. That's PRECISELY why I am moving back to Tyler after being gone ten years.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Tyler has both of those too. We're even getting our 1st Filipino restaurant, Steak N Shake, & Alamo Drafthouse over by UT Tyler. YAYYY!!! It should all be done by June.
Really? Where are the Vietnamese and Thai restaurants in Tyler? I LOVE THOSE CUISINES!!! Have you tried them out?

Old 05-27-2014, 11:48 PM

287 posts, read 546,071 times
Here's how I'd put them in order: Tyler, Longview, Texarkana, Lufkin and Nacogdoches.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Really? Where are the Vietnamese and Thai restaurants in Tyler? I LOVE THOSE CUISINES!!! Have you tried them out?
The Pho restaurant in Tyler is the same owners as the one in Longview & its over off 64 & The Loop in West Tyler.

Vietnamese Pho Restaurant - Tyler | Urbanspoon

The Thai restaurant is off the Loop & East Fifth in East Tyler.

Basil Thai Cafe - Tyler | Urbanspoon

There is also a very good authentic Chinese restaurant called Peking near the medical center/Midtown area. Don't go to Mings in South Tyler it sucks in comparison. Juls is too Americanized/Fusion for my tastes.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/311/1299...staurant-Tyler

Old 05-28-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The Pho restaurant in Tyler is the same owners as the one in Longview & its over off 64 & The Loop in West Tyler.

Vietnamese Pho Restaurant - Tyler | Urbanspoon

The Thai restaurant is off the Loop & East Fifth in East Tyler.

Basil Thai Cafe - Tyler | Urbanspoon

There is also a very good authentic Chinese restaurant called Peking near the medical center/Midtown area. Don't go to Mings in South Tyler it sucks in comparison. Juls is too Americanized/Fusion for my tastes.

Peking Chinese Restaurant - Tyler | Urbanspoon
Thank you! Glad to hear that the same folks who own the Pho restaurant in Longview own the one in Tyler. I love that place.

I'll definitely check out the Thai restaurant as well as the Chinese.

Personally, I like Juls - I'm not really a purist when it comes to a place like that. Half of what makes me like Juls is the overall atmosphere. The food is good too as long as you're not expecting "real" Asian food. I've never been to Mings. I like Shogun and Liangs though.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Thank you! Glad to hear that the same folks who own the Pho restaurant in Longview own the one in Tyler. I love that place.

I'll definitely check out the Thai restaurant as well as the Chinese.

Personally, I like Juls - I'm not really a purist when it comes to a place like that. Half of what makes me like Juls is the overall atmosphere. The food is good too as long as you're not expecting "real" Asian food. I've never been to Mings. I like Shogun and Liangs though.
Liangs is what we used to eat before any other Chinese restaurants were in town. Now there are many to choose from. Peking is way better than Liangs IMO. Its just not as sit down & "fine of dining" type atmosphere you get at Liangs. Peking is mostly take out & drive through, but you can sit down & order off a menu if you so desire.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:26 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,044,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

One, Shreveport is not in this discussion, out of state, much larger. How did they get in this discussion anyway.?

And yes, have you even heard the East Texas Symphony when it's in season? I have heard , lived, in Houston and attended the Houston Symphony Concerts, even heard Arthur Fiedler, of the Boston Pops conduct the Houston Symphony. I just said, ETS was surprisingly good, no it is not nearly as large and no does not have "full impact" the HS. Put blindfolds on, here them both, and you would say, "both quite good," lol.

Yes, some people do move to Tyler, as least partly, for the amenities. Hell no, they don't move to Tyler for the night life, but do you know, as a rule partying "grows old". Again, I listed the reasons people like /move to Tyler, I'm nauseated at hearing them myself. So I want list them myself, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas