U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:05 PM

5,569 posts, read 9,618,372 times

Advertisements

Well, folks, last week I had to turn in my pickup truck because the lease was up. This truck took me all over the diverse Texas landscape and never gave me any trouble. I drove from West Texas to East Texas. From steak houses in Lubbock to Cabrito (goat meat) in Matamoros, Mexico. It ate lots of bugs, but I kept her in shape and she was always clean. If there was anything about Texas, it was the comforting thought know that as long as you drove a pickup truck in the rural roads of Texas, you could expect to get the two finger wave from other friendly truck drivers.

Now, I have a car. No one waves at me anymore. *sobs*

No, it's okay. I see a nice F250 coming in the future. The reason I got a car was because I do mostly city driving here in San Antonio and it can get tough seeing your wallet shrink from filling up the ol' truck belly every few days.

So, anyone else driving pickup trucks and have some kind of attachment to it like I do?

Last edited by doss1; 12-12-2007 at 08:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 08:09 PM

36,772 posts, read 19,920,375 times
Letting go is hard, TexasNick. Just wait until I have to sell my Saturn.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:12 PM

5,080 posts, read 3,364,975 times
Nothing like a TEXAS TRUCK. I have one.. and know what you mean. I just put a new engine in mine, would rather do that than buy a car.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:14 PM

5,569 posts, read 9,618,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Letting go is hard, TexasNick. Just wait until I have to sell my Saturn.
I bet. Just wait 'til you sell your airplane because you're too old to fly. I heard that's one of the hardest things to part with. Planes teach you about life when flying and you learn about yourself.

Oh, what is wrong with me....there are more important things in the world...famine in Africa, terrorism in the Middle East....

Old 12-12-2007, 08:26 PM

75,317 posts, read 36,472,776 times
I would never let go !

Started with a Chevy S10 and graduated to a Silverado. I love my Silverado but if gas gets to the $4/gal range then I'm gonna trade down to a light truck like a Colorado.

You are right though about pickup trucks on country roads..means a whole n'other thing out in the country.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:30 PM

634 posts, read 2,179,817 times
Trucks are the best!

Old 12-12-2007, 08:40 PM

36,772 posts, read 19,920,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I bet. Just wait 'til you sell your airplane because you're too old to fly. I heard that's one of the hardest things to part with. Planes teach you about life when flying and you learn about yourself.

Oh, what is wrong with me....there are more important things in the world...famine in Africa, terrorism in the Middle East....
Maybe I'll get a lear jet!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:40 PM

3,494 posts, read 9,725,285 times
very attached to my pickup trucks. have always driven diesel duallys, but had to sell my last one, so am stuck with my 'other' truck, a 4x4 F150. will trade it in for a diesel dually in the next year or so. couldnt imagine driving anything but a truck. never owned a "car".

Old 12-12-2007, 10:51 PM

7,746 posts, read 18,459,689 times
I guess I'm the opposite here. I like the big sedans like a Ford LTD, Chrysler 300, etc. You've basically got the truck-sized footprint, and in some cases underbody, just lower and much more stable, not to mention cheaper to operate.

Pickups are too rough riding for my taste, and can't get out of their own way if you need to make an emergency move. I rented a brand new Ram 1500 for a week after my car was broken into. Cool-as-hell looking ride, 20 inch rims, etc, but I couldn't stand it for commuting 60 miles/day around Houston. The leafs in the rear end went boi-oi-oi-oing even on brand new pavement. A real punisher to the driver for real, even with passenger tires! I couldn't fathom a 2500 or, God forbid, a 3500!

Now a cushy Tahoe or Expedition, I would definitely take one if it were given to me. Like pickups, they're still the downright sloppiest handling vehicles out there, though.

Even still, America knows how to build good trucks that last forever.

Oh well, to each his own!

Old 12-12-2007, 11:20 PM

163 posts, read 413,723 times
How are the parking spots in the TX cities? I don't even want to think about parking a Ram in downtown Portland...tight with my compact at any of the private parking places. I want to switch up to something like a Durango (better visibility, I could throw in a mattress and sleep in the back...and I tend to drive my Volvo like a 4X4 anyways, with not-so-great results), but I think even that's pushing it here. I've always kinda liked the jacked-up trucks though...there's a certain macho feeling with a vehicle you have to climb in to or jump out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas