Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 08:38 PM

5 posts, read 9,676 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am an Indian, intrested to do Masters in Electrical Engineering in USA, so i applied to some universities and got admit in UTSA and UTEP, now im confused to choose one in them. UTSA has slightly high tution fee for international students than UTEP, And some saying that even though fee is on higher side UTSA has good reputation and will give more value to your degree than UTEP, which helps to get a job easily after masters, Is it true?
But i has little more interest in UTEP for its low tution fee. Can you people please help me in choosing one in these two universities.
Main criteria is quality of education offering, Degree value, Professors guidance, Campus life, funding options, job opportunities after study.

Thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 10:36 PM

227 posts, read 385,696 times
I don't know anything specifically about their electrical engineering programs but overall I would view UTSA as the better of the two in a general sense. I also view UTSA as having more upward potential over the longer run. But you really need to talk to someone who knows their electrical engineering programs.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:45 AM

238 posts, read 420,304 times
Go to UTSA. The engineering departments at both schools are excellent programs but there appears to be a bias at UTEP. Particularly favoring Hispanic students.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:08 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
Don't know about the education aspects of the two schools but I assume they are similar. Choosing which city however is a no-brainer. San Antonio would be the choice. So much more to do and see. El Paso (I have visited) has some scenic desert mountains around it but the city itself does not have much to offer as opposed to SA. Just a thought.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:25 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Choosing which city however is a no-brainer. San Antonio would be the choice. So much more to do and see.
In general I agree. On the other hand UTEP is more centrally located with all that implies for off-campus apartments within easy commuting distance. Rents will likely be cheaper than anyplace close to the main UTSA campus.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:13 PM

130 posts, read 297,366 times
San Antonio has a bigger South Asian community and more Indian restaurants.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:56 AM

5 posts, read 9,676 times
Thanks to all for your valuable suggestions :-)

Old 06-08-2014, 07:22 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times
One important point not yet made is that both UTEP and UTSA are branch campuses of the University of Texas. So any degree recipient will have the advantage of Univ. of Tex. name recognition and prestige. All of the branch campuses are governed by the same UT Systems administration which sets the academic standards for all nine schools (and the various Health Sciences centers).

Old 06-08-2014, 07:56 AM

130 posts, read 297,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
One important point not yet made is that both UTEP and UTSA are branch campuses of the University of Texas. So any degree recipient will have the advantage of Univ. of Tex. name recognition and prestige. All of the branch campuses are governed by the same UT Systems administration which sets the academic standards for all nine schools (and the various Health Sciences centers).

Are you saying the UT System administration sets the standards for all nine schools combined? Each school sets its own standards. Hence UT Austin is the most competitive (other than the health science centers). UTEP and UTSA are comparatively easier to get accepted to.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:51 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,330 times
UTSA might be worth the extra money. It's not exactly more prestigious than UTEP, but it offers, in my opinion, a higher quality of life and more connections since San Antonio is bigger and less isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas