Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 12:53 PM

510 posts, read 1,442,787 times

Advertisements

I'm a new graduate nurse who is looking to move to a new city to start my career- currently living in NY. There is a medical center in Brownsville, TX that is pretty actively recruiting new nurses, which is a nice change considering how hard it can be to find a nursing job these days. I'm willing to relocate, but I haven't found a ton of information on quality of life in Brownsville. Do you guys have any tips/info? I'm 26, single, female, would like to buy a home sometime in the next few years probably and would like to be somewhere with some semblance of a dating scene. Does this sound like Brownsville could work?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 02:01 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
If you use the Search this Forum button on the Texas page and search for Brownsville, you will find lots of previous threads asking similar questions. http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...to_forumsearch

Brownsville could be a great place to start a career, but it may not fill everyone's needs.

The dating scene could be an issue, depending on what you are looking for.

http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...lle-Texas.html

Estimated median house or condo value in 2011: $86,100

Estimated median household income in 2011: $31,850

Median gross rent in 2011: $596.

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Brownsville: 80.9 (low, U.S. average is 100)

For population 25 years and over in Brownsville:

• High school or higher: 63.9%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.9%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 4.3%
  • Unemployed: 10.0%
  • Mean travel time to work (commute): 18.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Brownsville city:

• Never married: 28.9%
  • Now married: 53.6%
  • Separated: 4.2%
  • Widowed: 5.9%
  • Divorced: 7.4%
54,120 residents are foreign born: 30.6% Total (29.4% Latin America).

City-data.com crime rate: 292.8 (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 301.1)

Unemployment in July 2013: 10.9%

Much, much more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Brownsville-Texas.html

One of the biggest things Brownsville has going for it is its proximity to the South Padre Island Seashore on the Gulf Coast. Easily some of the best Beaches on the Texas Coast, only 27.7 miles away.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:22 PM

510 posts, read 1,442,787 times
Thank You!!! I'll definitely check that out!

Old 06-15-2014, 03:58 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,947,713 times
CaptRn's statistics are a start, but they don't take into account the undocumented population.

Be sure to look for threads regarding the RGV (Rio Grande Valley), as well as Brownsville.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:28 PM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
Do you speak Spanish? If not, you will learn pretty quickly down there. The undocumented population is HUGE, and that 10% unemployment statistic has been that high for decades. As for the dating scene... My Anglo friend who lives in Edinburg says its pretty much nonexistent unless you are Hispanic.

The Rio Grande Valley is a "medically underserved area" which means you may have some student loans forgiven by working there for a few years.

If you are having trouble finding a nursing job in New York, I would consider looking in other big cities in Texas. As long as you are a RN BSN, you should not have trouble finding one here.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:51 PM

340 posts, read 608,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
I'm a new graduate nurse who is looking to move to a new city to start my career- currently living in NY. There is a medical center in Brownsville, TX that is pretty actively recruiting new nurses, which is a nice change considering how hard it can be to find a nursing job these days. I'm willing to relocate, but I haven't found a ton of information on quality of life in Brownsville. Do you guys have any tips/info? I'm 26, single, female, would like to buy a home sometime in the next few years probably and would like to be somewhere with some semblance of a dating scene. Does this sound like Brownsville could work?
Nooooooooo!

Old 06-15-2014, 06:33 PM

205 posts, read 245,050 times
It can work. You will make good money, probably get a bonus too. The dating scene is not bad as long as you dont mind dating hispanics, considering that you would be different from the norm down there, i dont suspect you would be single for long unless you wanted to be.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:53 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,466,637 times
To the OP: There was another thread started by a nurse in a similar situation. It may help you

What can you tell me about Pharr TX?

Old 06-19-2014, 05:18 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,009,726 times
Just understand, that while you will make good money, there is a bevy of other things to consider. Undocumented citizens, nearly completely Hispanic, and the language barrier, on top of being a border town (think drugs, and crime).

Like a previous poster mentioned, keep your options open for other locales. I live in the Corpus Christi area, and there is a lot of opportunities available for nursing as well! And, the population is a bit more diverse here than there, with nearly identical weather, and pretty decent beaches! More night life too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas