Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:57 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,000,318 times

Advertisements

Holy 11 year old article, Batman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 10:02 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,741,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
Holy 11 year old article, Batman.
Which makes it even more sad that everything in that article applies to 2014. Don't ya think? To this day people think the German stuff is the real thing and 'black bbq' still doesn't receive the respect it deserves. That's exactly why this discussion is relevant. But Texans don't want to talk about the truth. They want to hold onto the myths about their state.

Nearly 200 views and no real discussion on the content. Speaks volumes.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:17 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,273,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Which makes it even more sad that everything in that article applies to 2014. Don't ya think? To this day people think the German stuff is the real thing and 'black bbq' still doesn't receive the respect it deserves. That's exactly why this discussion is relevant. But Texans don't want to talk about the truth. They want to hold onto the myths about their state.

Nearly 200 views and no real discussion on the content. Speaks volumes.
Maybe it's just not a riveting conversational topic to most people. But don't feel bad. I've started threads before thinking that the topic was positively earth shattering, only to find that my opinion was not shared by most!

Old 07-02-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maybe it's just not a riveting conversational topic to most people. But don't feel bad. I've started threads before thinking that the topic was positively earth shattering, only to find that my opinion was not shared by most!
I understand but I'm not looking for people to agree with me. This is one of the few topics that actually matters, but like I said I just think people don"t want to discuss the truth. It doesn't surprise me.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:52 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,788,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
That article was written in 2003, eleven years ago.

That doesn't mean that BBQ cookoffs aren't still dominated by white people - but I can't believe things haven't changed since then.

What was the point of this thread? It is titled "the truth." What does that mean? Is Texas BBQ secretly racist food? Please explain what is otherwise a worthless thread. As best I can tell when I go to a BBQ restaurant, people of all races like Texas BBQ. Not so good for vegetarians.
I couldn't agree more.

I have no clue as to what the OP expects us to do. We have no control over the history of BBQ in Texas. Just playing the race card and/or attempting to stir things up.

I for one don't care whether the owner of a BBQ joint is black, white or green with pink polka-dots.

Is the food good? That's all that matters in the long run.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I couldn't agree more.

I have no clue as to what the OP expects us to do. We have no control over the history of BBQ in Texas. Just playing the race card and/or attempting to stir things up.

I for one don't care whether the owner of a BBQ joint is black, white or green with pink polka-dots.

Is the food good? That's all that matters in the long run.
It's not just about black or white

But I might as well point out that playing the race card implies using one's race as a crutch. That is not what this is about. Your response is textbook though. Whenever a subject pertaining to race relations is brought up, those who simply are uncomfortable discussing it will accuse that person of stirring the pot. That is exactly why race relations continue to suffer. Pretending race doesn't exist doesn't help the problem either.

My only intention was to shed some light on a part of Texas culture filled with myths and misconceptions.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,197,233 times
I read the article, and all I can do is scratch my head and wonder what on earth Robb Walsh was on - he KNOWS better than that and I'm sure, given his reputation (which this article does nothing to further) that he's been to more BBQ cookoffs than just the one at the Houston rodeo.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:43 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,788,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
It's not just about black or white

But I might as well point out that playing the race card implies using one's race as a crutch. That is not what this is about. Your response is textbook though. Whenever a subject pertaining to race relations is brought up, those who simply are uncomfortable discussing it will accuse that person of stirring the pot. That is exactly why race relations continue to suffer. Pretending race doesn't exist doesn't help the problem either.

My only intention was to shed some light on a part of Texas culture filled with myths and misconceptions.
You can't seriously be that transparent.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I read the article, and all I can do is scratch my head and wonder what on earth Robb Walsh was on - he KNOWS better than that and I'm sure, given his reputation (which this article does nothing to further) that he's been to more BBQ cookoffs than just the one at the Houston rodeo.
Did you read past the first page?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
You can't seriously be that transparent.
What are you referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas