Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:21 PM

123 posts, read 199,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
No Im serious....Odessa has the number one per capita murder rate in the US.I know a homicide detective for OPD and he gets called about just about every other night.
Whoa! That's not even remotely accurate. Per FBI stats.

2012 Murders per 100k. Odessa 3.5. Detroit topped the nation at 54.6 per 100k. Dallas led Texas at 12.4 per 100k. City of Midland was almost identical to Odessa 3.4.

Granted, I have seen stories recently about Midland Odessa crime rising a lot since the energy boom, but comparing it to the highest in the US? No way. I've never felt unsafe anywhere in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 09:36 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantx512 View Post
Whoa! That's not even remotely accurate. Per FBI stats.

2012 Murders per 100k. Odessa 3.5. Detroit topped the nation at 54.6 per 100k. Dallas led Texas at 12.4 per 100k. City of Midland was almost identical to Odessa 3.4.

Granted, I have seen stories recently about Midland Odessa crime rising a lot since the energy boom, but comparing it to the highest in the US? No way. I've never felt unsafe anywhere in the area.
Those are old stats...Odessa came out on a list of cities with the highest violent crime rate which includes murder in the country and it was number one.It even had the number one murder rate I think in the 70's or 80's.Midland aint even in top 10.The FBI even said number one cuz I saw that in a news article from this year on a local news site.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:10 PM

122 posts, read 209,143 times
Quote:
Those are old stats...Odessa came out on a list of cities with the highest violent crime rate which includes murder in the country and it was number one.It even had the number one murder rate I think in the 70's or 80's.Midland aint even in top 10.The FBI even said number one cuz I saw that in a news article from this year on a local news site.
Do you have a link to this news article? Even so, any statistics that came from a news report should be taken with a grain of salt. Media outlets love to latch on to some out-of-context statement or poorly derived conclusion, hyperbole it beyond recognition, then run with it in the headlines.

According to the most recent crime stats I've seen (which may have been for 2012. Are 2013 crime stats even out yet?) per capita crime in Fort Stockton was even higher than Odessa. My company there had a house in town where upper management lived. The neighbor's house (and vehicle) were broken into one night, and one of the manager's vehicles suffered severe tire damage because someone threw nails into the driveway (probably a disgruntled former employee.)

I don't even want to think about what the crime rate may be like in Pecos.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares45 View Post
Do you have a link to this news article? Even so, any statistics that came from a news report should be taken with a grain of salt. Media outlets love to latch on to some out-of-context statement or poorly derived conclusion, hyperbole it beyond recognition, then run with it in the headlines.

According to the most recent crime stats I've seen (which may have been for 2012. Are 2013 crime stats even out yet?) per capita crime in Fort Stockton was even higher than Odessa. My company there had a house in town where upper management lived. The neighbor's house (and vehicle) were broken into one night, and one of the manager's vehicles suffered severe tire damage because someone threw nails into the driveway (probably a disgruntled former employee.)

I don't even want to think about what the crime rate may be like in Pecos.
just go to the Big 2 site and its there.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:01 PM

123 posts, read 199,581 times
Quote:
I have old stats? And you talk about the 70's (or was it the 80's?)

Ha Ha! You are making this all up as you go along huh? You better tell your homicide detective friend's wife he is cheating on her if he says he is called out almost every night when the city averages 4 or 5 murders per year.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantx512 View Post
I have old stats? And you talk about the 70's (or was it the 80's?)

Ha Ha! You are making this all up as you go along huh? You better tell your homicide detective friend's wife he is cheating on her if he says he is called out almost every night when the city averages 4 or 5 murders per year.
No, I read it in a news article
Odessa Ranked #1 For Violent Crime Rate - Permian Basin 360

Old 07-16-2014, 11:03 AM

7 posts, read 11,457 times
Thank you Pam, we will be looking into all this info! Thanks again!

Old 07-16-2014, 04:35 PM

122 posts, read 209,143 times
Quote:
From the article:

Quote:
According to the FBI, Odessa has the highest violent crime rate in the U.S.

The agency attributes that to the rapid economic growth and large influx of people. And it defines violent crime as: murder, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault.
So violent crime includes a hell of a lot more than just murder.

Here are two other articles I found giving specific rates:

Crime in America: Top 10 Most Dangerous Cities Under 200,000 | Law Street (TM)

Quote:
8. ODESSA, TEXAS

Although Odessa has the lowest unemployment rate among the cities on this list, its police department has been facing several personnel and funding issues. With only one officer for every 709 residents, Odessa’s police force is undermanned compared to many cities of similar size. Recent requests for additional officers have been rejected due to budgetary constraints, preventing the city from reaching its goal of two officers for every 1,000 people.

Violent Crime Rate: 1064.31 per 100,000 people Population: 103,635 Murder Rate: 4.82 per 100,000 Police Officer to Population Ratio: 1: 709 Median Household Income: $50,813 Unemployment: 4.2 percent Dangerous Small City Rank in 2011: #34
That article was published November 25, 2013. Here's another one based on the recent FBI data:

10 Cities Where Violent Crime Is Soaring - TIME

Quote:
1. Odessa, Texas
> 5-year increase in violent crime rate: 75.5%
> Violent crime per 100,000 (2007): 468.1
> Violent crime per 100,000 (2012): 821.3
> Murders per 100,000: 3.5

There were 672.2 aggravated assaults per 100,000 residents in Odessa in 2012, an increase of more than 80% since 2007. Most property crimes, such as burglary and theft, became less likely over that time period, declining by 13.8% and 19.0%, respectively. On the other hand, motor theft, in particular, increased by 17% to more than 500 incidents in 2012. Many reported auto thefts, however, may have been illegitimate, according to an officer the Odessa Police Department. Some incidents, for example, may have been insurance fraud attempts, or drunk drivers abandoning their vehicle and claiming it was stolen. Some vehicles were being stripped for scrap metal, while others being taken merely for joyrides.
So although Odessa's crime rate may be increasing more than any other city, it still doesn't quite yet have the highest crime rate in the US.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares45 View Post
From the article:

So violent crime includes a hell of a lot more than just murder.

Here are two other articles I found giving specific rates:

Crime in America: Top 10 Most Dangerous Cities Under 200,000 | Law Street (TM)

]
That article was published November 25, 2013. Here's another one based on the recent FBI data:

10 Cities Where Violent Crime Is Soaring - TIME

So although Odessa's crime rate may be increasing more than any other city, it still doesn't quite yet have the highest crime rate in the US.
It had number one violent crime rate including murder.If you want to believe that write-up that's fine but I will go with the big 2 one.

Last edited by Westerntraveler; 07-16-2014 at 10:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas