U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 11:40 AM

9 posts, read 49,579 times

Advertisements

im from the peoria area...ive lived here all my life...im graduating in a month and getting out of here. im looking to move somewhere in texas (preferably warmer with no snow and somewhat close to the shore)...but i need the cost of living to be decent...i could only afford rent thats like $600/month...and i need somewhere that i could get a decent job to still afford to live...i waitress right now but its hard to find a good waitressing job sicne im only 18 and you have to be 19 to serve alcohol (and wont be 19 for almsot another year). i would love it if anyone had any good ideas as to where would be a good place to move to. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2006, 04:01 PM

5 posts, read 35,824 times
Katie,

Try Houston. It's warm most of the year, no snow, and it's about 45 minutes from Galveston Island. It's a wonderful town and a great place to be a single girl. There are so many restuarants and clubs you should have no problem getting a place to work. Rent can be cheap you just have to start looking and figure out where you want to live - Houston's big so you'll have plenty of options. Cost of living is better than just about any place on earth. The men are gorgeous and so are the women and the people in general are just wonderful.

Check out the inner-loop area, the museum district, around Rice Univeristy, the Heights area. You'll be impressed.

Good luck!

Old 04-10-2006, 10:56 PM

9 posts, read 49,579 times
thanks...im seriously considering texas or florida...i think texas would just be cheaper to live in than florida and the hurricanes kinda make me nervous. but thanks for the advice

Old 04-12-2006, 11:30 AM

11 posts, read 49,168 times
Hi Katie, I am a big fan of Port Aransas Texas, its near Corpus Christi and there are two colleges if that is a preference as well, lots of restaurants and great weather, Finding a job wont be a problem. Rent is average, and if you dont need alot of space there are many to choose from within walkind distsance to the beach. Good luck... Hope this helps. Sheri Kent

Old 04-15-2006, 11:59 PM

6 posts, read 61,815 times
Dallas Ft Worth area has UTA etc. plenty of jobs available, and relatively affordable housing. Don't go to FL, too humid, and to many hurricanes.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:06 PM

15 posts, read 97,508 times
Default Richardson / Dallas area

We've been here in Richardson for 7 years. Lots of colleges around town. Relatively inexpensive compared to jobs available.
Been a good move for us.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 9,368 times
Smile Moving to Texas

Katie;

If you would like, just pull-up a map of the great state of TEXAS, pick out an area you think you would like, ie. Corpus Christi , "GOOGLE" it and have all your questions answered!!
Being a displaced Texan, I now live in San Diego, Ca., (My wife is from here), Living anywhere within a hundred miles of the Gulf of Mexico, is going to be Humid, But the beauty of the coast, some think it's worth it..I know I miss it.

My home was a small town by the name of "Alice, Tx." 44 miles west of Corpus.

Good luck in your search!!!!

"POP'S"

Old 05-01-2006, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 9,374 times
Lightbulb Victoria

Hi Katie
My name is Crystal and I want to tell you about a place in south Texas called Victoria. It is the town that I grew up in and it sounds like what you are looking for. It is about two hours from the ocean and I only saw snow two times in twenty years. Living there would put you in reasonable driving distance to Houston, Austin, Corpus Christi, and San Antonio. It is also home to an excellent college, if that is in your future. Victoria is a historic city but it has a lot of hometown appeal. The rents are reasonable, I had a one bedroom apartment in a GREAT spot for just under 400. It may have gone up a little but I'm sure the prices are comparable. The shopping is great. There are a lot of little stores where you can buy special things and lots of the big name stores. I don't know what your tastes run to. As for employment, the north side of town hosts numerous restaurants like Olive Garden, Applebees, CHilis, well I'm sure you get the picture. There are lots of things to do in Victoria too. Theater, movies, the mall, Coleto Lake, THe Texas Zoo, Riverside Park is gorgeous. There are also lots of clubs and dance halls around the area. This IS Texas after all. I'm sorry if I sound like a fanatic but I really loved living there. I moved up north to Indiana four years ago and I miss the sunshine and the ocean. I really hope you will give it a look-see. I think it is a great place. Obviously.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 22,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiem2006
im from the peoria area...ive lived here all my life...im graduating in a month and getting out of here. im looking to move somewhere in texas (preferably warmer with no snow and somewhat close to the shore)...but i need the cost of living to be decent...i could only afford rent thats like $600/month...and i need somewhere that i could get a decent job to still afford to live...i waitress right now but its hard to find a good waitressing job sicne im only 18 and you have to be 19 to serve alcohol (and wont be 19 for almsot another year). i would love it if anyone had any good ideas as to where would be a good place to move to. thanks.
Hi Katie,
Texas is the absolute best place to live. Considering the damage that the hurricane's did, are you still interested in moving by the ocean? Well, i live in TEXARKANA. It is only a few hours from Corpus Christi. So you could drive up to ocean on a weekend or something. But about Texarkana, it is an amazing place, growing like crazy. The cost of living averages from 450-700. Depending on the area you are in. There is an apartment complex called The Links, very great place, personal golf course, swimming areas, indoor place to hang out. The average 1 bedroom apartment there is about 425-500, depending on the size. The location is great! Not a very high crime rate. There are several places to work. The Central Mall, Dilliards, Sears, JCPenny, Bealls, El Chicos, Chilis, Applebees, Several Banks, Ruby Tuesdays, On the Border, Olive Garden, The famous TEXAS ROADHOUSE, Outback, well you get the drift. People hire each and everyday, average pay rate is between 8-15 hr. You can make 15 an hour at ROADHOUSE. The place is packed from open to close! 4-9! Texarkana is big, but not too big. We have a community college, Texarkana College. We have Texas A&M, and we are building a 4 year university, due to be up in less than 5 years. You can look up texarkana, and im sure you will be astounded. It is a great place to hang out...guess what, you can serve alcohol here at 18 on Texas side. We are bordered with another bigger city. Texarkana Texas and Texarkana Arkansas. The population is around 80,000. Bennigan's is also a great place to work, but you have to be 21 to serve. But you can host, which is fun (i use to do it). There is also a small town on the texas side called wake village, great little town, about 3 minutes outside of texarkana, you can get an apartment there for 450, 2 bedroom HUGE apartment, and they are Octagon shaped. Really cool. Aspen Villa Apartments. Anyway, Texarkana is not on the beach, but it is a great place, its also an hour from Shreveport and 2 hours from Dallas, if your into partying! I love it here! EVERYTHING IS BIGGER AND BETTER IN TEXAS!SABRINA

Old 05-09-2006, 07:51 PM

1,883 posts, read 1,491,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonsmom
Well, i live in TEXARKANA. It is only a few hours from Corpus Christi. So you could drive up to ocean on a weekend or something.

Say what!!! Texarkana is about as far from Corpus as you can get and still be in Texas.It is almost 600 miles on the interstate,and the shortest route through the small towns is still almost 500 miles.Definitely not a weekend trip.Not knocking Texarkana,but it is nowhere near the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas