Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 11:14 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,099,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Isn't complaining about the new comers a bit like blaming a sneeze for a cold ? I'm not saying there is anything you can do if you don't like the pro growth climate in Texas, I'm just saying you are focusing on the symptom, and not the cold...
*shrug*

Like I said, I realize there's nothing I can do about it.

However, that doesn't mean I have to like it. Our infrastructure is not keeping up with the influx of people. We need time to catch up.

It's kind of funny to me when newcomers gripe about DFW traffic. I'm always thinking to myself "Well gee, if you hadn't come here, that'd be one less car on the road."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 01:37 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,410,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
A Nobel "price" winner? You can neither capitalize or spell correctly.

Somehow the Nobel team saw fit to award our President, just one year into his term too, for doing nothing.

Krugman notably makes no mention of what will happen to California with the next economic downturn. Nothing structural has been fixed in the way California operates. Even more dependent on income taxes. No remedy to Prop 13. No reduction in citizen driven propositions.

When the economy is improving, California shines. When the economy declines, California crashes.

What about those housing prices? California is always in a housing bubble.
It was not all that long ago that Texans were hit hard and several people I work with... one a lifelong Texan, moved to California. If I remember it had a lot to do with oil wells being capped.

I've often asked her if she ever plans to go back and she says no... her grandchildren are in California and her parents are both deceased.

It will never be an all or nothing proposition... each State goes through economic cycles.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-27-2014 at 11:31 AM..

Old 07-27-2014, 08:50 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,788,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Texas has the highest uninsured rate in the nation and the second highest percentage of uninsured children in the country.
The Texas high school graduation rate is WORST in the nation.
The child poverty rate is 26%.

The Uninsured in Texas
Texas ranks among worst 10 states to be a kid | Dallas Morning News
It's not hard to figure out why. Texas wasn't like this prior to the 1980s.

With the percentage of illegal aliens increasing, it's only going to get a lot worse. When you have a high percentage of non-English speaking students who come here disadvantaged in their own countries, you can't expect much else.

With the glut of third-world illegal alien women and children that just swarmed over the border, it's never going to get any better in Texas. The more we allow this to happen, dismal graduation rates and all other negative factors are only going to get much worse.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 07-27-2014 at 09:26 AM..

Old 07-27-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
It's not hard to figure out why. Texas wasn't like this prior to the 1980s.

With the percentage of illegal aliens increasing, it's only going to get a lot worse. When you have a high percentage of non-English speaking students who come here disadvantaged in their own countries, you can't expect much else.

With the glut of third-world illegal alien women and children that just swarmed over the border, it's never going to get any better in Texas. The more we allow this to happen, dismal graduation rates and all other negative factors are only going to get much worse.
California is also a border state...

Old 07-27-2014, 01:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,788,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
California is also a border state...
And California also has its share of problems related to illegal immigration as well as Texas.

Texas will not get any better as long as this is happening. Ever.

You can hardly expect any better outcome when we are forced to take in these masses--and then give them a free public education on top of that. They pull the entire system down--higher property taxes, Robin Hood (forcing wealthy districts to throw their money at poorer districts, many of them along the border), extra funds needed to educate non-English speakers, free lunch programs, et al. These poor families don't pay their share of funding for public education, either.

Happens in all of the border states, and it's spreading to others, too. Those who don't believe this have their heads in the sand, or don't want to hear the truth.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 07-27-2014 at 01:16 PM..

Old 07-27-2014, 07:06 PM

The facts bear this out... I have friends in Maine and other New England States and they are almost unaffected... Geography does come into play.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:11 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,064,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
Paul Krugman blows it out of the water with this piece.
Like nearly everything Krugman writes, this is a lie from beginning to end.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:14 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,064,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking_Good View Post
I'll defer to Krugman, a nobel price winner in economics, when comparing the performance of two state economies over an anonymous poster on C.D.
That would be a mistake. Krugman may not even be writing this stuff; his wife seems to be the leftist ideologue who assembles "his" columns.

When Krugman used to do economics, he was pretty smart. Now his columns are just political polemics.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:26 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,893,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 View Post
No, for most it is only the image and how they speak about it that is different in TX. Wendy Davis' history and advocacy suggest that she is as liberal as the rest of the ones you mentioned from CA. If the Dems in TX had power for as long, it would certainly look like CA.
Wendy Davis is an extreme outlier in Texas. That is why she is more popular with non-Texans that with actual Texans.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,539,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
Paul Krugman blows it out of the water with this piece.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/25/op...an-region&_r=1

California is back. Kansas is in the toilet. The so-called "Texas Miracle" is due to one thing: housing prices.
This state is on a comeback and I see it getting better. People ask how I afford it out here not being a 6 figure earner. A lot of things cost a lot less out here. My car insurance went down because car insurance is mandatory out here and it is heavily enforced. My electricity bills are about 1/3 of what they were in Houston where I got charged more for using too little electricity (with reliant energy). Rent went way up but so did my wages by about 10-12k more than I made in Houston.

Our income taxes are high but property tax rates are much lower than Texas. Every state gets its money some way and bashes another state for it. There is a much greater sense out here among Californians that we want to pay to have a nicer place to live. Our state colleges are cheaper, our community colleges are the cheapest in the nation.

We do have illegal immigration here, but it's a pretty pricy place for them so they prefer Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas