Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 08:47 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
My husband is Indian and I am white. We haven't had any problems and neither have our kids.
Indian male-white female is a semi-unusual combination. Probably even less common than white male-Indian female, which I don't think is all that common.

There are Indian male engineers that I know who primarily approached white women at the bars in Uptown Dallas, but the white women wouldn't give the Indian males the time of night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Best - big cities
Worst - small towns

Yep, it's really that simple.
That's exactly the case. In the big Texas cities, no one really cares about it.

I'm a white male. I am primarily attracted to white women and Hispanic women. I speak Spanish, so that certainly helps my cause with Hispanic women. I have found it easier to have sustainable relationships with white women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 08:38 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Indian male-white female is a semi-unusual combination. Probably even less common than white male-Indian female, which I don't think is all that common.
That's odd. I know more couples like my husband and I than what you described.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Either way, the white and Indian combination is a fairly unusual combination from my own observational powers, which may not have validity on a larger scale.

The few white women that I have known that would date Indian men were white women that I would deem to be subpar in terms of attractiveness, primarily overweight white women. I have not seen a white woman with a reasonable BMI with an Indian male. I'm sure it has happened.

One of the things that I admire about Indian men from what I've observed is that they are tenacious in approaching white women. I've seen Indian male engineers approaching white women fairly actively in Dallas bars and getting rejected by the stereotypical attractive Dallas woman.

When white men go for non-white women, white men are usually attempting to seduce Hispanic or East Asian women. South Asian women are a less common target for white men. I would guess that Indian women are somewhat receptive to the approach of a white male.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:59 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Quote:
I know several Caucasian women that are married to Indian men, but never really thought about it...oddly (or not?) the two couples that come to mind immediately consist entirely of doctors - both husband and wife.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Either way, the white and Indian combination is a fairly unusual combination from my own observational powers, which may not have validity on a larger scale.

The few white women that I have known that would date Indian men were white women that I would deem to be subpar in terms of attractiveness, primarily overweight white women. I have not seen a white woman with a reasonable BMI with an Indian male. I'm sure it has happened.

One of the things that I admire about Indian men from what I've observed is that they are tenacious in approaching white women. I've seen Indian male engineers approaching white women fairly actively in Dallas bars and getting rejected by the stereotypical attractive Dallas woman.

When white men go for non-white women, white men are usually attempting to seduce Hispanic or East Asian women. South Asian women are a less common target for white men. I would guess that Indian women are somewhat receptive to the approach of a white male.
There's something a bit reductionist about your attitude regarding this matter.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:
There's something a bit reductionist about your attitude regarding this matter.
If my attitude is reductionist, I fail to see how that is bad. It means that my perspective is generally accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Well this guy just blurts out drunkenly that we need to stop all the blacks and Hispanics from coming in. That left kind of an awkward silence. A bit before when the guy was introducing himself his name ended in a vowel, and we found out he was an Italian American transplant from up north!

I retorted back in front of the group that new development hasn't stopped a bunch of Yankees from moving down here. He laughed but didn't get I was poking fun at him and if I were any more of a jerk I could've used a slur for Italians but I didn't want to lower myself to his level to make a point.

They're always the first to act Anglo even though no one in Texas, especially small town Texas, would think of them as such with the dark hair and a last name ending in a vowel. They project that insecurity through racism on other minorities instead and I don't want that low brow stuff down in Texas.
I've always considered Italian-Americans to be white people. Italian-Americans are pretty integrated in Texas. There isn't a distinct Italian-American subculture in Texas, like what you might see in New York/New Jersey or the Boston area.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:39 AM

Reductionist is the most polite way I could find to respond to your post. Not all people are as shallow as you claimed. Also, not all people consider a bar a good place to meet a life partner.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Not all people are as shallow as you claimed. Also, not all people consider a bar a good place to meet a life partner.
The two avenues that give the average single the greatest exposure to the most amount of single people now are bars and dating sites/apps. It's pretty difficult now to be a single person and not use one of those two methods for meeting people. Good luck meeting enough people using neither and relying on non-bar venues (grocery stores, malls, coffee shops, gyms, etc.) or one's social circle. Research indicates that fewer couples are being introduced through social circle, which is reflective of the fact that social circles are generally weakening, especially in big cities. While bars are not the best option, they are pretty much unavoidable. The atmosphere on dating/sites is way worse (that avenue is far more slanted in favor of females and nothing replicates the in-person interaction to begin the interaction) and the other venues might not produce enough options.

As a white male, social circle is part of the reason why it has been more difficult for me to date interracially over the course of my life. There are fewer Hispanics in my social circle. I do speak Spanish, but I have more connections among white people. Additionally, much of my activity hasn't put in me contact with as many Hispanic females. I can salsa dance, but not salsa dance well enough to give me a competitive advantage in salsa clubs where one can find Hispanic women, so I've pursued other venues. While I've dated Hispanic women, I've dated more white women.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:28 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,465 times
It's good to hear that at least some people haven't sensed negativity toward them being a "mixed race" couple (or whatever to call it).

I grew up in an affluent part of west Houston and I only remember one black kid in school and one asian kid. Pretty lily white. I never heard racist remarks, but perhaps that was because there was no one to be racist against. Later on, I became part of of much more diverse environment, which I enjoy.

I remember flying into Salt Lake City for the first time and walking thru the airport concourse, thinking "something seems strange here". Then I realized, "oh, its because everyone I see has blond hair and blue eyes like me". That was interesting.

The other thing I want to mention is that for decades, I always noticed more "inter-racial" couples and groups of friends when I was visiting California. There are certain kinds of pairings that were always rare here, but have become more common. It's a good thing ... people should be happy and part of that is finding a person that you love ... of course, part of the beginning of that is physical attraction.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:53 AM

692 posts, read 855,017 times
Quote:
That's exactly the case. In the big Texas cities, no one really cares about it.
To be honest, they MOSTLY don't care about it in the gossipy small towns, either -- they're just bored as hell and latching onto ANYTHING that could make for conversation. In the words of a guy I met in a small place when my car broke down, "there's nothing to do here but watch cars rust."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas