Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:25 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times

Advertisements

Dallas would be fine with it. I see it all the time, and I don't see anyone staring or hear anyone saying anything about it. There are people who don't mind if other people do it, but don't want their own kids to date outside the race, and that goes for all races not just whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 01:29 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,439 times
How do black male/hispanic female relationships fair in Austin, El, Paso, Houston, Corpus Christi, Dallas, and San Antonio?

Old 12-20-2007, 01:55 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
How do black male/hispanic female relationships fair in Austin, El, Paso, Houston, Corpus Christi, Dallas, and San Antonio?
Dude, I don't think anyone really cares. People in general are way too busy to care about what color your girlfriend is. You'll have the toughest time from a Hispanic female's family; in my experience a lot of Hispanic families seem OK with dating a white guy/woman but not a black guy/woman.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:15 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
I think this thread is sad. Texas is much more progressive on this topic than people realize. I am from Chicago originally. I am white and married to a Mexican American woman. People seemed to care more in "progressive" Chicago than they do in Texas.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:14 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
I'm half chinese and half mexican if it makes you feel better. I know peope who are half black and white, half Mexican and white, half Korean and white, and I think half Chinese and white, and half Chinese and Thai, and half Mexican and Filipino, and half viet and Cambodian, half lao and Hmong, half native American and black, half Guatemalan and black, half black and mexican, half mexican and arab, half chinese and korean, half chinese and filipino, half filipino and viet. if that tell you anything...
*cough* location Dallas*cough*
DFW, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and El Paso will be pretty accepting. I get some funny looks but i don't care, i mean. what do they want me to do baptize myself white/ back/ full mexican/full asian??? Most dirty looks i get are from native chinese and mexicans anyways, which actually they grow to accept me. I get made fun of, I've been called a variety of funny names, which make me more laugh then flinch. Its mostly between friends... but I mean i get 'Taco filled with rice....'

Old 12-21-2007, 06:48 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I think this thread is sad. Texas is much more progressive on this topic than people realize. I am from Chicago originally. I am white and married to a Mexican American woman. People seemed to care more in "progressive" Chicago than they do in Texas.
The northern definition of 'progressive' regarding this topic is sometimes different from the southern/western's. Chicagoland is quite separated. Detroit is even worse - quite possibly the poster-boy city for segregated.

But this issue is still relavent in TX outside of the big cities. So as far as overall state population goes, it's in the minority but that's still quite a sizeable chunk and spans over a very large area. It's no wonder the stereotype follows.

I've been in a few places where dark-haired, Heinz 57 whites (me) + blonde 100% German-Texans (my wife) are looked at funny. It's rare, but it happens. This was in homogenous towns where a few broke-assed people have nothing better to do but gossip & meddle in others' lives. We're too concerned with more important things to let some no-name's ignorance bother us.

But you haven't experienced anything until you've gone to one of those remote towns in S-SW Oklahoma.

I'll keep the "Cletus" comments to myself.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:20 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Or from my mothers experience, Mississippi.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:20 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
I have yet to find a Texas city (though I am sure it is more or less particular people within the city) that isn't accepting on interracial couples. It is actually very normal throughout the entire state (at least the parts I have lived in or visited).

Old 12-21-2007, 05:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I agree. I wonder why anybody at all cares whom someone else marries/dates, etc....

For what it's worth, even in straight-laced small West Texas towns, Hispanic/Mexican/Mexican-American and Anglo/White aren't even noticed any more, and few care.

However, that isn't true for Anglo-Black relationships, from what I have seen, even today.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:05 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Even in little old Brazoria, people don't care so much and that's a pretty small town. Quite a few white/hispanic couples. Don't know about too many white/black couples there, but I'm sure not many people care anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas