Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:05 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times

Advertisements

Houston does look good on paper in many areas, but what's important to people will differ. It doesn't matter to me how many hospitals or Fortune 500 companies are somewhere. Dallas is just visually more appealing in a lot of areas and my surroundings are very important to me when picking somewhere to call home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 12:23 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I was saying........Or asking....When is the destroying gonna start? Yes i posted the whole college list for DFW but if you count the ones in Dallas its more than 10.

The links i posted for average household incomes didnt macth what you said.... go look at them.
Lol, so there are 12 colleges in Dallas. Still a good bit less than Houston (which has more than the claimed 17 as well).

The links you posted for average household income were for the METRO, again.. We're talking cities here.

I guess you and I have different opinions on "destroying". When a city is ranked almost twice as high as another, I consider it destroying.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:24 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Houston does look good on paper in many areas, but what's important to people will differ. It doesn't matter to me how many hospitals or Fortune 500 companies are somewhere. Dallas is just visually more appealing in a lot of areas and my surroundings are very important to me when picking somewhere to call home.
Yeah.. That whole sector of Dallas known as South Dallas that's so often ignored is oh so visually appealing.. Houston has plenty of visually appealing areas, they just aren't all zoned together like in Dallas.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:47 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Yeah.. That whole sector of Dallas known as South Dallas that's so often ignored is oh so visually appealing.. Houston has plenty of visually appealing areas, they just aren't all zoned together like in Dallas.
South Dallas does have it's nice parts. So let's keep it honest here. Winnetka Heights, Kessler Park, Bishop Arts are all popular areas on the South side.

Of course Houston does have nice areas. I never said it didn't. I just think Dallas' are more of what I personally look for. As I mentioned, everyone's opinion will differ.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:55 PM

954 posts, read 1,549,191 times
Default Texas Summer Heat

Dallas
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Mostly Cloudy
Feels Like: 113°
Temp: 104°
Dew Point: 70°

Humidity: 34%
Wind: West
Visibility: 10.0 mi
Pressure: 29.94 --
Search
Dallas Weather Reports | Local Forecasts | Fort Worth Conditions & News
Houston
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
96°
Feels Like: 109°
Dewpoint: 76° F

Humidity: 52%
Wind/Dir: 3 Mph / SSE
Visibility: 10.0 Miles
Clouds: SCT at 5000ft Sunrise: 6:37 AM
Sunset: 8:16 PM
Barometer: 30.04

UV: 7
Updated:4:41 PM CDT on J
Houston Chron : Weather
Austin
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Clear
97°
Dew Point: 69°
Feels Like: 103°

Humidity: 40%
Wind: 7 mph

Precipitation: 0 in.
Pressure: 30.01 in.
Visibility: 10 mi.
Sunrise: 6:47 a.m.
Sunset: 8:28 p.m.
Austin Weather Forecast & Conditions | www.statesman.com
FYI - if you are thin king about heading down to Texas and you want to know about the summers: last weekend of July, usually the hottest, with Dallas leading the way in the "feel like" temp of 113 and real temp of 104 while Houston has the most humidity with a DP of 76 degrees. Austin would seem to be the "most comfortable" with a "feel like" of "only" 103 degrees.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:01 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Dallas
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Mostly Cloudy
Feels Like: 113°
Temp: 104°
Dew Point: 70°
Humidity: 34%
Wind: West
Visibility: 10.0 mi
Pressure: 29.94 --
Search
Dallas Weather Reports | Local Forecasts | Fort Worth Conditions & News
Houston
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
96°
Feels Like: 109°
Dewpoint: 76° F
Humidity: 52%
Wind/Dir: 3 Mph / SSE
Visibility: 10.0 Miles
Clouds: SCT at 5000ft Sunrise: 6:37 AM
Sunset: 8:16 PM
Barometer: 30.04

UV: 7
Updated:4:41 PM CDT on J
Houston Chron : Weather
Austin
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Clear
97°
Dew Point: 69°
Feels Like: 103°
Humidity: 40%
Wind: 7 mph

Precipitation: 0 in.
Pressure: 30.01 in.
Visibility: 10 mi.
Sunrise: 6:47 a.m.
Sunset: 8:28 p.m.
Austin Weather Forecast & Conditions | www.statesman.com
FYI - if you are thin king about heading down to Texas and you want to know about the summers: last weekend of July, usually the hottest, with Dallas leading the way in the "feel like" temp of 113 and real temp of 104 while Houston has the most humidity with a DP of 76 degrees. Austin would seem to be the "most comfortable" with a "feel like" of "only" 103 degrees.
I checked the NWS site and found that information above to be erroneous.

according to their info the highest heat index in Dallas today was 105, in Austin 103 and Houston topped out at 102 at IAH...oh ya San Antonio 104 so Houston was actually the "coolest" major city in Texas today!

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Dallas / Fort Worth International Airport

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Camp Mabry / Austin City

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Houston Intercontinental Airport

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KSSF.html

Check it out

Old 07-27-2014, 07:42 PM

6 posts, read 24,271 times
Wow, thank you everyone for all of the responses/debate! I'm getting some great information here. Keep it coming!

Old 07-27-2014, 07:49 PM

6 posts, read 24,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
just thought i would make a post about my opinion since i see a lot of threads about it. my background - grew up in north dallas so 10+ years, went to college in UT (hook em) so spent ~5 years there, fiance is from houston so on/off ~5 years there. for work, i travel a lot, so i explore all parts of the cities

1. what is the same across all 3
  • lots of traffic, they all suck, get use to it
  • since all are major cities, all have all the major chains people want
  • all are equally hot as hell
  1. Dallas (my fav)
  • highest quality of living
  • only real complaint is (like houston) it's a really big city, so getting from one part to another takes a lot of driving
  • economy - a little of everything, great
  1. Austin (2nd fav)
  • too many young college students
  • the best and cheapest night/bar life
  • breaks all stereotypes of texas - very scenic with lots of outdoorsy stuff
  • best food in texas - so many local joints that are awesome
  • most fun - so many local festivals, concerts, expos, etc etc
  • smallest city of the 3 so least amount of traveling to get around
  • worst airport - really small, no hub
  • economy - the best, so many young eager startups, mini san fran
  • in my opinion, best city in the nation, and again i've traveled a lot for work. why is it not number 1? i feel like when i go to austin all i want to do is have fun and not really settle and focus on family/future
  1. Houston (least fav)
  • despite texas being hot (which all 3 cities are), houston is the most humid, so sticky
  • the most "ghetto", definitely feel a lower standard of living here compared to others. feels very old compared to other 2
  • like dallas, it's a really big city, so getting from one part to another takes a lot of driving
  • i am allergic to a lot of random things, and houston makes my allergies go crazy
  • economy - too many oil/gas, i feel like that's all it is

that's all i can think of for now, feel free to ask me questions!

Thank you for the detailed response! I know that living in the center of these cities will more than likely not be possible for us financially. Living in Iowa, we're used to driving basically everywhere, so the suburbs won't bother us. What would you say are the best suburbs of these three that are safe and nice but have a lowish cost of living?

Old 07-27-2014, 09:23 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I checked the NWS site and found that information above to be erroneous.

according to their info the highest heat index in Dallas today was 105, in Austin 103 and Houston topped out at 102 at IAH...oh ya San Antonio 104 so Houston was actually the "coolest" major city in Texas today!

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Dallas / Fort Worth International Airport

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Camp Mabry / Austin City

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Houston Intercontinental Airport

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : San Antonio, Stinson Municipal Airport

Check it out
If Houston hit 102° it had to feel like it was 115°....easily.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:34 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
If Houston hit 102° it had to feel like it was 115°....easily.
102 was the heat index dude ! The heat index is the "feels like" temp! Please read before you reply !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas