U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-21-2007, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 879 times
Default Totally Lost...

Hello, I'm in my first year of university and I was thinking a change in back ground would be nice. I was thinking of maybe moving down to the states to live for abit and have talked to alot of my friends about it but they've all been giveing me alot of info I just don't get....something about green cards and forums .....I've tried looking this up but all the websites I've seen just don't clear any of it up. Could anyone here pppplllzzzz clear up for me how I can get residence in the states so I'm able to work.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 06:10 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,836,910 times
Best thing to do is hook up with a school in the US and get a student visa. Then after you graduate, you need to get hired by a US company willing to sponsor you for a 5-year working visa. Green cards (permanent resident aliens) are much harder to get.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:27 PM

6,581 posts, read 10,472,397 times
Also keep in mind that as an international student, you will pay the highest possible tuition: out-of-state PLUS an international student surcharge. You'll also have to keep your student status current and you can't skip a semester or you'll invalidate that student visa and make yourself deportable.

5-year work visas (H1B) are only available for certain categories of employment, and not all employers will sponsor for one due to the extreme expense. Most of these are granted for engineers/computer programmers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas