Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:32 PM
rwr

268 posts, read 612,021 times

Advertisements

Huffpo = B.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 09:25 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr View Post
Huffpo = B.S.
Oh, jeez, I didn't notice that!

HPost is the Fox news of the far left....

Old 08-27-2014, 11:22 PM

256 posts, read 320,954 times
Here is a really funny live debate about drinking while pregnant where HuffPost trusts the word of mommy bloggers against a university researcher: HuffPost Live

Regardless of the source, most people don't know how to evaluate research quality and this is the kind of post that I hear about constantly. Needless to say, not abandoning my Texas pride has led to many of these situations.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:29 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The study (at Wallet Hub) includes the statement "...We did this because the general consensus is that women are disadvantaged overall and therefore wanted to recognize states that at least give an upper hand to women in some areas" to explain why they used their system of scoring.

I think that says right away that they produced a report with a built-in bias.

There are some other problems with the study. They measured the number of females in the US Senate. There are only two senators per state. A single female has a huge impact on that score. Other states have just a few US representatives. How much would Texas' score have improved when Kay Bailey Hutchison was a senator?

They measured female executives. Of what companies? How did they define executive?
I was thinking the bias was "Blue state, good! Red state, bad!", without the surveyors realizing that Texas has its tint of purple at a minimum.

Not a loss to anyone that lives in reality, as evidenced by this thread already.

Then again, I've never worked a job where a woman with equal qualifications actually met a glass ceiling of any sort or made less than I did. Due to some dirty biz I won't dive into, a female coworker at my last job ended up with a promotion and she definitely had a lesser resume than me. Heck, if you are a woman walking into a chemical plant, the operators themselves try to hire you on the spot even if you've never seen a pipe rack before!

Old 08-29-2014, 07:23 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
Heck, if you are a woman walking into a chemical plant, the operators themselves try to hire you on the spot even if you've never seen a pipe rack before!
I worked in the chemical plants, both in college and after, and as a co-op in college the operators/engineers were so disappointed to get a guy instead of a girl . Anyway, coming out of college, the 'rule of thumb' was that being a female was about a +5% higher pay offer, as was being a minority. A female minority was close to the +10%. The companies were trying very hard to recruit the women and minority engineers, but there just weren't that many, so it turned into a bit of a bidding war.

Now, to be fair, I have no idea on what their salary looked like compared to their male counterparts 10 years down the road....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: