Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:33 AM

5 posts, read 12,098 times

Advertisements

Maybe this has been asked in some form somewhere, but I was hoping for a more complete answer. Things I look for when really describing a nightlife scene include:
1.) Are there several districts that people frequent within 15 minutes of each other, places where business open strictly for nightlife (or atleast that is their number money making operation. These can include college districts to upper 30 districts.;
2.) Do some of these distrticts have high turnover as in a number of investors keep buying locations or remodel in an attemt to try to make money in nightlife;
3.) Is there a large amount of people that party on Sunday afternoon at these places;
4.) Is there an overly large nughtlife support systems for these locations i.e, taxi cabs on a circuit, bike pedalers, trolleys to carry poeple around.
5.) Are the bars/clubs afraid to charge cover because of the large number of other close venues.

It might seem like a weird list, but these are some of the things I think are big indicators if there really is a large nightlife scene. I was hoping there maybe somebody who could compare the scences in Houston, Austin, and Dallas. Thanks a lot.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:54 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Without going into too much detail, I would say Austin hands down has the best nightlife in the state.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:25 AM

568 posts, read 901,083 times
It's a toss up between Austin and Houston for me. I love the vibe in Austin but love the diversity and plethora of places in Houston. I don't have enough experience in Dallas to comment on their night scene.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:26 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
In my opinion, it's impossible to compare such things across cities.

But Austin has such districts (6th Street the most famous), Dallas has such districts (I'm more familiar with Dallas so I'll list a few) Uptown, Deep Ellum, and Lower Greenville is on the wane as an entertainment district but is still there, and Ft Worth has several, including downtown and the Stockyards. Dallas suburbs even have small districts, including Addison and Legacy in Plano.

Houston also has plenty including their downtown.

Even smaller cities like Lubbock and San Marcos have entertainment districts.

If I were to compare across states, I'd say that many other states do 'entertainment districts' better than Texas due to Texas' blue laws. So even if I said Austin was the best, New Orleans is better. Heck, even Tuscaloosa in some ways could be considered as better than Austin due to more relaxed blue laws. Also public transport in Texas is really weak, hence all the drunk driving. Even in Dallas, a big party night will use up *all the cabs*, so you may have an hour wait if you are trying to be responsible.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:18 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
In my opinion, it's impossible to compare such things across cities.

But Austin has such districts (6th Street the most famous), Dallas has such districts (I'm more familiar with Dallas so I'll list a few) Uptown, Deep Ellum, and Lower Greenville is on the wane as an entertainment district but is still there, and Ft Worth has several, including downtown and the Stockyards. Dallas suburbs even have small districts, including Addison and Legacy in Plano.

Houston also has plenty including their downtown.

Even smaller cities like Lubbock and San Marcos have entertainment districts.

If I were to compare across states, I'd say that many other states do 'entertainment districts' better than Texas due to Texas' blue laws. So even if I said Austin was the best, New Orleans is better. Heck, even Tuscaloosa in some ways could be considered as better than Austin due to more relaxed blue laws. Also public transport in Texas is really weak, hence all the drunk driving. Even in Dallas, a big party night will use up *all the cabs*, so you may have an hour wait if you are trying to be responsible.
Shout outs to my hometown!

Old 09-03-2014, 12:42 PM

81 posts, read 105,386 times
Austin for the wild parties
houston for diverse crowd partying together
Dallas for white exclusive clubs

Really depends on what type of vibe you are into

Old 09-03-2014, 01:29 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,221 times
When I was younger I preferred the Austin scene to anywhere else in the state, but as I've gotten older I've started to prefer Houston overall. There's some good stuff in Dallas too but overall I didn't enjoy the nightlife there quite as much.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:03 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONE STAR STATE View Post
Austin for the wild parties
houston for diverse crowd partying together
Dallas for white exclusive clubs

Really depends on what type of vibe you are into
Have you ever been to Dallas. ...

Old 09-04-2014, 09:18 AM

725 posts, read 1,240,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Have you ever been to Dallas. ...
Those are the types of clubs that Dallas seems to be best at, to be fair. Of course there's other types of nightlife in the region and such, but I think what he said was fairly accurate.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:01 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
That's kind of the vibe I experienced in Dallas too as far as nightlife. Things just seemed more upscale and exclusive. I didn't experience the mixed diverse crowds, rich and everyday people partying together. Not saying it doesn't exist in Dallas, but it just seemed like their prominent areas were more geared toward upscale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas