Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:56 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,123,654 times

Advertisements

[quote=Melissa78703;2372910]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Speaking of booze (in other words, drugs), I understand you can essentially possess anything in Alaska as long as it's in the privacy of your own home. Judging the entertainment there's to be had there, probably good reason for that, too. [/QUOTE

Erm ... he means drugs and prostitution. Lots of heroin and speed labs and Russian prostitutes standing on the corners in -20 below weather wearing short skirts, torn tights, and high heels. LOTS of prostitutes in Anchorage, at least.

Law does leave you alone ... sometimes that's not a good thing. The year I was there, I saw two police cars. When my house was broken into, they never even showed up. When I was mugged, they never showed. Apparently, burglary is common in Anchorage. As long as no one's hurt, you just live with it.
We have a family vacation in Alaska schedualed for June, 09' (before my oldest daughter leaves to go off to college). It's our last best opportunity to vacation as a family before our 3 kids grow up and leave home. With that said, the key word for us is "family". I have to seriously rethink things based on what I just read on this thread... If I wanted to see a bunch of prostitution, drug use and open lawlessness, I could just drive over to Houston instead of fly thousands of miles... I have to really rethink this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 08:01 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
I have never been to Alaska, but I have had several friends and relatives who have. They always come back stating it was one of the most beautiful places they have ever seen. From reading this thread, I would say go, and stay out of the areas with prostitutes, etc. My next door neighbor just returned, and the pictures he brought were breathtaking. Very little of Alaska is urban. Enjoy the rest of it and ignore the bad parts.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:57 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
I was in Anchorage for 5 months a few years ago, and enjoyed my stay. Stayed in a small apartment right by the trail that goes around the bay. Was nice to see the moose chewing on the bushes right outside my door! I had borrowed a bike and would take a ride around the park after work, since it did not get dark til 11 pm in summer! Driving to Denali was the pinnacle, very very beautiful National Park. And the drive there was also spectacular. Would do it again, but only in Summer. A friend of mine wrecked two cars trying to drive on the ice in winter, not being used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: