U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texas to be Republic of Texas or Remain with the Union?
Yes - I want Texas to become independent 20 28.57%
No - I want Texas to remain part of the union 50 71.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:09 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,222,163 times

Advertisements

No, for the 347th time.

I know there has to be an abandoned oil rig out there in the ocean somewhere for the small minority that no longer want to live in the U.S., or you know, plenty of other countries that would treat you way worse for even considering seceding from them.

Must be so tough to live in this horrible country that lets you fantasize about such radical ideas.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:18 AM

12,789 posts, read 28,810,418 times
Quote:
Financially, I'm very confident that Texas could easily survive if it were to secede.
You realize that we would be obligated to take a portion of the national debt equal to our fraction of the population, right? And since our credit rating would undoubtedly be lower than the U.S., the payments would be obnoxious? And I can name three or four foreign companies that are currently building, planning to build, or expanding plants in Texas that would most likely immediately scuttle those plans? Those are just the ones that I work with, I suspect there would be a huge negative effect for years to come, at least until there was some confidence established - and I wouldn't hold your breath for that....

Old 09-23-2014, 11:04 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,190,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
You realize that we would be obligated to take a portion of the national debt equal to our fraction of the population, right? And since our credit rating would undoubtedly be lower than the U.S., the payments would be obnoxious? And I can name three or four foreign companies that are currently building, planning to build, or expanding plants in Texas that would most likely immediately scuttle those plans? Those are just the ones that I work with, I suspect there would be a huge negative effect for years to come, at least until there was some confidence established - and I wouldn't hold your breath for that....
I "suspect" that you are speculating on events that could happen.

Are you suggesting that Texas could never survive on it's own? We do have some major employers and the manufacturing here and the U.S. would be cutting it's own throat to sever existing ties. Our economy is for the most part, much better off than the rest of the country. I doubt that employment rates would suffer measurably if we were to secede.

Again, I'm not advocating secession here. Just trying to be realistic. I think there is every possibility that we would be much better off economically if it were to happen.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:19 AM

12,789 posts, read 28,810,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I "suspect" that you are speculating on events that could happen.

Are you suggesting that Texas could never survive on it's own? We do have some major employers and the manufacturing here and the U.S. would be cutting it's own throat to sever existing ties. Our economy is for the most part, much better off than the rest of the country. I doubt that employment rates would suffer measurably if we were to secede.

Again, I'm not advocating secession here. Just trying to be realistic. I think there is every possibility that we would be much better off economically if it were to happen.
Yes, speculating, but I think that people proposing secession look at it with very rosy glasses on and fail to acknowledge the benefit of being a part of a larger whole. I am just pointing out some of the possible, but realistic, downsides. Do we fund a military? How big, and from where do we get equipment? Do we form a realistic national constitution? Or try to get by on the ever-changing, fluid one that we have? What would our currency be? What companies might pack up and leave the 'country'? We do national environmental work, but without the current fed government, would all our work be elsewhere? I think the disruption could be huge, even IF the U.S. decided to play 'nice'. What if they decided to look to other markets, out of spite? Chinese, Russian, etc.? Not include Texas in any NAFTA type treaty? Limit travel visas?

We supposedly get 43% more money from the feds than we pay in (like most states, hence the deficit). If we were to quit cold-turkey, that is a massive amount of highway, research, and welfare money that is lost.

Obviously too many unknowns, but I would wager heavily on the vast majority of Texans being worse off economically for the short-term, at the least, and quite possibly in the long-term.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:59 AM

1,553 posts, read 917,755 times
The expenditure required to create the infrastructure necessary to support independent nation status would create an incredible drag on our economy.

It's fun to talk about secession in a "blank you, I'm from Texas" sort of way, but the notion should never go beyond tongue in cheek.

Besides that, the Aggies are already confused enough trying to figure out why more people don't really want Texas to succeed.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:18 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,698,609 times
FYI,
Secession will automatically make all American soldiers in Texas an invading military force

What's your plan for them?
Kick them out of Texas?
Force them out of Texas?
Attack them if they don't leave Texas?

Doesn't sound very "patriotic" to me

Old 09-27-2014, 11:29 PM

2,092 posts, read 2,572,676 times
Thread Closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas