Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 12:43 AM

8 posts, read 14,926 times

Advertisements

I was just offered a job at Cook Children's and was wondering what neighborhoods or suburbs would be safe to live in and easy to commute from? Perhaps even specific apartment suggestions? Looking to keep rent below $1200 for two bedrooms/two baths. Or is that impossible for that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 04:32 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Congrats on the job offer! CCHCS is a great organization!

Look in the area around Hulen Mall. It's a 15-minute drive from CC and there are many nice apartment complexes down there. The Ridgmar Mall area would be another good place to look, too.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:52 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
2 bed, 2 bath is very "doable" for $1200, but you need to be careful of location and drive time.
Check out reviews for Fort Worth Apartments (google) and then come back here for info on the areas you are considering.

I don't disagree about the Hulen area, but I also consider Hulen @ anywhere near I-20 a total driving nightmare and avoid it like the plague. It might help for you to give us a better idea of what you are looking for in an apartment. Do you want 'quiet' or do you want more of an Urban/Walkability feel? Are you looking for great restaurant/Bar area or more of a Neighborhood feel? Fort Worth is a great place to live and easy to get around in.

Cook Childrens (main campus) is in the Hospital District (with a lot of new construction and new build) and there is a lot of new stuff in that area in the way of Housing & Restaurants - the 7th Street area is also a hopping area (fast commute), but is going to be a bit more pricey. There are a couple of highly recommended places near the University/Montgomery/Monticello area - which is very nice. Downtown might be a consideration, but probably not in your price range for 2b/2b. Worth a look to check and easy commute to Hospital District (like 5 min) - make sure you have parking for your car in Downtown.

Fort Worth is an interesting City - Major City, but still manages to be easy to get around in and somehow has a bit of "small town feel" to it. A lot of Cultural activities and a GREAT downtown area.

Welcome to Texas! If you are already Lucky enough to be a Texan, then Welcome to Fort Worth.
The Natives are Friendly and the Visitors and Imports soon become that way also - for the most part.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:38 AM

I appreciate the replies.

I absolutely hate traffic and paying for parking permits or moving my car (former Los Angeles resident). I have to have a washer/dryer in my unit. Amenities such as a gym would be nice as well. Is that too picky?

I would prefer close to the hospital, but it doesn't need to be walkable but I do enjoy running. And it definitely needs to be safe. I do prefer quiet (no loud university student parting) but I also want to be close to things. I like the idea of a big city with a "small town feel". Where I live currently is mostly young professionals and graduate students and nurses and residents and I enjoy that.

Googling it is difficult to tell which area the apartments are in.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:29 PM

6 posts, read 9,924 times
Try google maps then type apartments. That will help you to see where they are and show you some that don't come up on apartments.com , etc.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:52 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Where is Cook Children's ?

Texas is a huge place.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:14 PM

It's in Fort Worth.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:01 PM

I believe it is in Downtown Fort Worth: 801 7th Ave, Fort Worth, TX 76104. So I guess complexes downtown or closeby?

Old 11-02-2014, 06:19 AM

Technically, CC is just south of downtown in the medical district.

If you want quiet and no partying, avoid West 7th. It's a lot of young professionals, and the area is mostly bars and restaurants. Parking is atrocious!! It's a fun place to visit, but you won't want to live there.

As others have mentioned, downtown will be tough on that budget, and parking is often not included. Avoid the complex named The Depot as it gets a lot of noise from both the train tracks and I35W, and it is also known as a party complex, too.

Honestly, look in the neighborhoods around the museum district, such as Arlington Heights and Ridglea. You will be far enough away from TCU to not have too many students, but it is close to work, too. You can also look along Bryant-Irvin and Hulen Street at the complexes there, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: