Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:38 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,792,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjeepr View Post
Wild hogs are the 200+ pounders that will destroy the front end of your car. Yes, they are becoming a greater hazard. I noticed up in the canyon lands (panhandle) they even have signs warning drivers to watch for them. Last year was the first time I've ever seen a sign. I think Spree is right; they are domesticated pigs gone native. They are aggressive and dangerous.
By contrast, the javelina is a native that rarely exceeds 50-55 lbs, and most are smaller than that.

Although I would not want to corner a big javelina, I have always thought they were cute......

It surely would be nice to have a freezerfull of feral hog, though......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 12:15 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,597,980 times
Have traveled the Panhandle extensively and never saw any, but am on the main roads mostly. Maybe will have to look more closely from now on! I did see them frequently while in Arizona on reservation land.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:52 PM

14 posts, read 50,060 times
Don't be alarmed, posters, about these "wild hogs" that have been sighted. I think someone just saw me in the backyard in my swimsuit after "pigging out" at Xmas.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:57 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,738,485 times
Quote:
Wild hogs are the 200+ pounders that will destroy the front end of your car. Yes, they are becoming a greater hazard. I noticed up in the canyon lands (panhandle) they even have signs warning drivers to watch for them. Last year was the first time I've ever seen a sign. I think Spree is right; they are domesticated pigs gone native. They are aggressive and dangerous.
Yes, it is the feral hogs I am talking about. The one lying in the ditch down the road from is is solid black and a good 175 to 200 lbs. Yeah, I'd say it's quite somebody's going to have to do a little body work.

One thing about it, they keep multiplying the way they have been, they're going to be right up there with the coyotes. We've already been seeing problems with coyotes in cities going into people's back yards and killing cats and small dogs. As civilization keeps pushing these animals out of their habitats, they're running out of places to go. These wild hogs are already a probem, but believe you me, they're going to become a greater problem if something's not done. As one poster has already remarked, they were rooting up their hedge. Think about it, wake up one morning, wild hogs have gone through in the night, rooting your yard up looking for food, nuts, grubs, whatever. Look for your little doggie, it's gone, the coyotes done got there and ate it or the hogs ate it.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:10 PM

15 posts, read 77,990 times
Smile Yes they are!

The government is indeed aware that the hogs are taking over Texas. I spoke with someone that was referred by the Parks and Wildlife Department that sent me some information about them. They say that the only natural enemy of the wild hog, which is a cross between domestic hogs and the javelina, left in Texas was man. That is why there is an unlimited hunting season on them. They can have up to 3 litters per year with up to 12 piglets per litter.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliacollielady View Post
The government is indeed aware that the hogs are taking over Texas. I spoke with someone that was referred by the Parks and Wildlife Department that sent me some information about them. They say that the only natural enemy of the wild hog, which is a cross between domestic hogs and the javelina, left in Texas was man. That is why there is an unlimited hunting season on them. They can have up to 3 litters per year with up to 12 piglets per litter.
That's a lotta pork chops!

Old 01-04-2008, 03:35 AM

13 posts, read 32,556 times
Let's ALL have some ham, shall we?

Old 01-04-2008, 12:56 PM

374 posts, read 978,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoses View Post
Don't be alarmed, posters, about these "wild hogs" that have been sighted. I think someone just saw me in the backyard in my swimsuit after "pigging out" at Xmas.
I don't care who you are; that's some funny stuff right there!

BTW, it earned you a rep point from me

Old 01-04-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I don't care who you are; that's some funny stuff right there!

BTW, it earned you a rep point from me
I got a big kick out of it too!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:25 PM

374 posts, read 978,921 times
Thought you all would get a kick out of this. I saw this one down near Pearsall. I forwarded it out with the caption "I guess Coke really does rot your gut". (see the BK cup next to it)

http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/pictureprocessor/images/rotten%20gut.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas