Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:39 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
We have a beachfront place in galveston but are thinking about switching to corpus. How far south along the coast do you have to be to get blue water and whitish sand?

Ive been to south padre and the water there while not great is fine and the beaches have nice sand.
You have to go to Florida. Texas does not have clear blue water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 01:53 AM

79 posts, read 394,761 times
Oh please, the water at South Padre is fine enough for most people, but I'd compare it more to places on the US Atlantic coast than the Caribbean or Florida Gulf.

For the original poster, most places on the coast will have water at least a little nicer than Galveston, but some of my favorite "beach" places like Rockport are on the bays and not directly on the coast. Bay water is usually going to be murky unless you're in a shallow cove where sea grass grows that can hold the mud and silt down. Do you want to be right on the Gulf or will a bayside location suit?

If you're in Austin the Corpus area would be more logical for a beach getaway since you don't have to go through Houston traffic to get there. The quality of the water is usually between SPI and Galveston in "niceness". SPI will be the best of course but it's a long way from Austin, and due to the National Seashore there is not going to be any development on the Gulf between Corpus and SPI any time soon

Old 01-05-2008, 09:08 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrstx View Post
Oh please, the water at South Padre is fine enough for most people, but I'd compare it more to places on the US Atlantic coast than the Caribbean or Florida Gulf.

For the original poster, most places on the coast will have water at least a little nicer than Galveston, but some of my favorite "beach" places like Rockport are on the bays and not directly on the coast. Bay water is usually going to be murky unless you're in a shallow cove where sea grass grows that can hold the mud and silt down. Do you want to be right on the Gulf or will a bayside location suit?

If you're in Austin the Corpus area would be more logical for a beach getaway since you don't have to go through Houston traffic to get there. The quality of the water is usually between SPI and Galveston in "niceness". SPI will be the best of course but it's a long way from Austin, and due to the National Seashore there is not going to be any development on the Gulf between Corpus and SPI any time soon
Thanks, thats what I needed to know. I was thinking about corpus already, but we havent been down there. I actually didnt realize that it was about the same amount of time to get there as galveston (galveston can actually be 4-4.5 hours). Ive started windsurfing and bird island basin is some of the best windsurfing in the country. Bay side would probably be fine as I want to sail and windsurf anyway. Right now our beach property faces the gulf and it is really nice, but the waves (and the law) preclude you from having a boat dock or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas