U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:12 AM

4,062 posts, read 6,369,464 times

Advertisements

We have a beachfront place in galveston but are thinking about switching to corpus. How far south along the coast do you have to be to get blue water and whitish sand?

Ive been to south padre and the water there while not great is fine and the beaches have nice sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 08:23 AM

595 posts, read 1,727,692 times
I don't know how far south...been all they way down to Port Isabell..outside of Brownsville..never saw anything that resembled pretty beach and water. If you travel east you will start seeing pretty beach in Mississippi, pretty water and beach in Alabama and by the time you reach the FL panhandle you will think you are in the Bahama's.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:55 AM

599 posts, read 1,497,312 times
you won't find any clear blue water and white sand on texas beaches. south padre island does seem to have the best beaches in texas though.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:38 AM

343 posts, read 868,670 times
Probably south of Matamoros, Mexico. I have been to the beach south of the jetties in Matamoros. It was probably the clearest water compared to Boca Chica or South Padre Island.

This is probably due to the Rio Grande's runoff into the gulf and the current in the gulf going north.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:16 AM

5,569 posts, read 9,646,733 times
You will only get a beautiful turquoise(sp?) color that, imho, can be prettier than blue water. You get this color during certain seasons of the year. Here are some pics I took (see below). Also, SPI is my favorite because of the lack of crowds. It sure beats California beaches if you want privacy or the feeling like you have the whole beach to yourself and not have to worry about people showboating around other people, etc.

There will be some days where it is very windy and the water will appear dark brown because of all the sand that is being lifted up in the currents from the waves.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 PM

15 posts, read 34,578 times
Smile The Gulf is shallow, California sea is deep...

This is why the water doesn't often appear blue but takes on the shades of the sky or clouds. The Texas coast is only about 10-20 feet deep for miles, until you are well out into the Gulf of Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
We have a beachfront place in galveston but are thinking about switching to corpus. How far south along the coast do you have to be to get blue water and whitish sand?

Ive been to south padre and the water there while not great is fine and the beaches have nice sand.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:05 PM

4,062 posts, read 6,369,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post

How about how far south do you have to be to be about as good as south padre? South padre is fine. The water doesnt have to be blue all the time either The beaches dont have to be bleached white.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:22 PM

79 posts, read 256,525 times
Pretty much South Padre is it, the water stays fairly consistent down the coast of Tamaulipas, generally it's blue enough (about like most beaches on the Atlantic I'd say) but never Cancun-blue. I was in Tampico in August and the water reminded me very much of S Padre. South of Tampico in Veracruz the topography changes quite a bit and the water can be quite nice or Galveston-brown depending on where you are. As others have said, factors like wind and currents can play a role.

For kicks you can look at the beaches from anywhere on GoogleEarth, if you zoom in close enough you can see what the water looked like on the day the satellite was overhead. South Padre recently got an contrast-corrected and sharpened photo of its beach (wish I would have saved the old version on my computer!), but you can see how that jetty helps dissipate the mud coming out of the Laguna Madre (and not the Rio Grande!! even when the river is running it's usually just a trickle).

Old 01-04-2008, 08:52 AM

5,569 posts, read 9,646,733 times
Did anyone see the special COPS episode (i never watch TV) that was taken at SPI during SPring Break? Man, I don't ever recall weirder people at any other beaches than the ones there....lol. There was even a guy that was handcuffed and ran into the water and tried to commit suicide.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:34 AM

343 posts, read 868,670 times
The river has been a trickle for some years now but there was a time when it carried a lot of water into the gulf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas