U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 12:23 PM

13,402 posts, read 22,721,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
It's mostly boom, and BTW tech and most other sectors save perhaps agriculture have boom and bust cycles....
No, they dont nearly on that scale. Cities with more diverse economies dont boom like that but dont bust like that either.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-02-2015, 01:12 PM

7,500 posts, read 9,273,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I am saying the average joe blow fresh out of school with a Chem Eng Degree does not deserve 70k-90k.

You think an Electrical Eng Degree can command this kind of salary from a public univ in Texas?

Since you move the post to Texas, I think lot more Dallas folks can provide better insight to this discussion as it is not bias loaded with O&G folks.

I think the top talent deserve the money, but it is not the case with the current pay structure in O&G. My whole point is the industry been way over compensated mainly due to the inflated oil price.

Imagine if every airline have a 400 floor to the ticket price thx to some cartel.

Also, location really does not make much difference here, especially with the COG in Houston and Texas. Should everybody get paid less because you live in Texas? It is obviously not the case with the current pay in O&G.
You have no idea what you are talking about so saying YOU think they aren't worth that pay means nothing. I doubt you and most of the NE trader types could handle these jobs. I worked 38 years in this business as a Chemical Engineer with a BS and worked with Wall Street and venture capitalists selling off parts of the business. There is more stress dealing with forces that can kill or cause an environmental mess than selling paper or investing money or buying/selling businesses. You are out of touch. If you think they are over paid prove it by getting one of these jobs and show us you can handle it once you know what your talking about.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:20 PM

5,784 posts, read 5,836,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
No, they dont nearly on that scale. Cities with more diverse economies dont boom like that but dont bust like that either.
I agree with your second point about diversity. The whole point of diversity is to hedge against the boom and bust cycles of any one economic sector. The tech bubble of the late 90's was every bit as devastating to that sector as the oil glut of the 80's was to energy. Several sectors such as steel and manufacturing in general pretty much moved offshore. Whether or not this current situation is a bust or just a slowdown is yet to be determined...

Old 01-02-2015, 02:08 PM

12,065 posts, read 11,043,593 times
Most of the O&G jobs in Houston are not these field type jobs working a rig in Africa in 105 degree heat or in the arctic ocean in -20 degrees.

Most of the O&G jobs in Houston are in air conditioned offices pushing paper, analyzing, etc... My sister and brother-in law work pretty much 8-5 jobs and are highly paid.

I work in high tech and have to work nights (sometimes starting at 2AM), weekends, holidays, and other inconvenient times and I get paid about the same as them.

Overall I'd say that my job is harder than theirs.

Maybe the field jobs working rigs is harder, but in my industry working the field means running fiber optic cables in steam tunnels or in the middle of the desert, that would be equally as dangerous and difficult as O&G rigs. So let's compare apples to apples. For a desk job, O&G is much easier than high tech.

Oh, I can say that A&M would not get a shot in my industry. We want ivy league grads or schools such as Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, etc...

Old 01-02-2015, 02:20 PM

Ivy leagues don't work in oil and gas, they expect to be president of the company in ten years or less which won't happen.

Many of the O&G jobs in Houston are in chemicals and the downstream, in a refinery I was out in the refinery at least once a day in my engineering days. During turnarounds the time in the plant was 12 to 16 hours a day 7 days a week. There are a good number of rotators to remote locations in the greater Houston area too who work in the field weeks at a time then are office weeks as a rotator.

No doubt there are company's who work 8 to 5 but the one I worked for was not one of them. My hours ranged from 45 to 75 per week and averaged about 55 hours a week for 38 years.

Pressure is when life and limb are at risk for your decisions not whether some program or network works or not.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:23 PM

12,065 posts, read 11,043,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Pressure is when life and limb are at risk for your decisions not whether some program or network works or not.
Umm, if my "network" doesn't work then when you have a fire at your plant and you call 911 on your cell phone, guess what, you can't connect. So don't say that your job is more important than mine... Mine potentially can save more lives than yours and touches every aspect of your life.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:24 PM

2,043 posts, read 2,544,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Most of the O&G jobs in Houston are not these field type jobs working a rig in Africa in 105 degree heat or in the arctic ocean in -20 degrees.

Most of the O&G jobs in Houston are in air conditioned offices pushing paper, analyzing, etc... My sister and brother-in law work pretty much 8-5 jobs and are highly paid.

I work in high tech and have to work nights (sometimes starting at 2AM), weekends, holidays, and other inconvenient times and I get paid about the same as them.

Overall I'd say that my job is harder than theirs.

Maybe the field jobs working rigs is harder, but in my industry working the field means running fiber optic cables in steam tunnels or in the middle of the desert, that would be equally as dangerous and difficult as O&G rigs. So let's compare apples to apples. For a desk job, O&G is much easier than high tech.

Oh, I can say that A&M would not get a shot in my industry. We want ivy league grads or schools such as Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, etc...
Exactly my point. They all bringing up examples of the 20% of the employees when 80% of them are sitting in a 9-6 jobs with friday off. Even for the 5% of the worker working in the rig, their pay is more than compensated for the hard work.

I have work in 4 industries and all of them are hard. Don't tell me how stressful your job is. You will know stress when oil price is $30 and they are asking you to cut 3/4 of your staff and you are deciding to fire the new father or the guy putting his kid through college.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Umm, if my "network" doesn't work then when you have a fire at your plant and you call 911 on your cell phone, guess what, you can't connect. So don't say that your job is more important than mine... Mine potentially can save more lives than yours and touches every aspect of your life.
We don't use your network for any critical operations, we use ours since we not you understand how critical our reliability need is. We address security like none of the IT entities like Microsoft would, because we understood hat a hack would do 25 years ago and the IT pros were amateurs about it then.

We don't call 911 we have trained staff whose job is to be ready and know the equipment and risks in our environment which you IT generalists don't. The fact you think 911 is who is called an emergency in a plant says it all you. I responded to your denigrating oil and gas jobs when you had no clue what you were talking about. I'm glad yours is so critical too but don't show your ignorance about oil,and gas jobs by bashing them and claiming ivy grads are needed to be smart... It simply is a myth you made up.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Exactly my point. They all bringing up examples of the 20% of the employees when 80% of them are sitting in a 9-6 jobs with friday off. Even for the 5% of the worker working in the rig, their pay is more than compensated for the hard work.

I have work in 4 industries and all of them are hard. Don't tell me how stressful your job is. You will know stress when oil price is $30 and they are asking you to cut 3/4 of your staff and you are deciding to fire the new father or the guy putting his kid through college.
Don't be childish, I've dealt with staff cuts and oil prices below $10 couple of times and redesigned orgs for mergers. Come do these jobs you think are so over paid and easy to do, until you demonstrate you know something about which you are talking you are just another legend in your own mind who thinks your brilliant and no one else is.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:19 PM

2,043 posts, read 2,544,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Don't be childish, I've dealt with staff cuts and oil prices below $10 couple of times and redesigned orgs for mergers. Come do these jobs you think are so over paid and easy to do, until you demonstrate you know something about which you are talking you are just another legend in your own mind who thinks your brilliant and no one else is.
Can i have your autograph? Where would we be without your important contribution to society.

I lived in Houston and lots of friends and family is in O&G. But you have exactly proven my point that the industry need a "bust" as you people are beyond delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas