Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 8,286 times

Advertisements

im going to be relocating to one of these cities based on my needs but need help with any available knowledge. please help me decide which will be best based upon my needs. thank you.
i want to know about
climate
best schools
pay of jobs
job availability
rent amount
cost of living
air quality
fun
house cost
gas prices

Old 12-04-2014, 05:16 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
There's already 100 threads like this....pick one.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:24 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
climate - Depends on your preference. SA and Houston (especially Houston) have warmer winter weather. Austin is slightly colder in the winter, but only barely. Dallas gets the coldest winters of all these cities, but it's still much warmer than the Midwest or Northeast. All four of these cities have brutally hot summers, and all four are humid. Especially Houston.

best schools - Public schools? It depends on the school district. Each city/metro has it's good districts and bad districts. Private schools? My guess is a toss-up between Houston and Dallas, since they are the biggest cities with a larger variety of schools to choose from. Higher education? Austin has UT... the largest university in the state, and one of the largest in the nation. Houston has Rice... The only ivy league in the state. UofH is on the rise as well and is much larger than Rice. Dallas has SMU... a great university itself. SA has Trinity... another fine university.

pay of jobs - Either Houston or Dallas. It depends on your field. Dallas is more IT and bankng oriented, whereas Houston is more Energy and Medical oriented. Austin has a thriving IT economy. SA is more Tourism and Military oriented.

job availability - All four cities have thriving economies and plenty of job availability.

rent amount - Austin has the highest rents overall. Houston and Dallas are roughly equal; more expensive in their central/core areas with more affordable suburban rents. SA is the cheapest of the four.

cost of living - Basically the same as above.

air quality - Dallas and Houston both have poor air quality. Especially the Southeastern part of the Greater Houston metro, where there is a high concentration of petrochemical refining. Austin and SA both have much better air quality.

fun - Again, it depends on what you call "fun". SA has the Riverwalk, many tourist attractions, and is close to some great outdoor recreation areas in the hill country. Austin is a major live music town, and has several large and well-known music festivals throughout the year. 6th Street in downtown Austin is party-central. Houston has a big Hip-Hop/Rap scene, but Houston nightlife is scattered all over the city with no one centralized nightlife district. Houston is also near the Gulf Coast. The beaches aren't the prettiest, but it's there. Dallas has a big EDM scene, and nearby Fort Worth has a lot going on in it's downtown.

house cost - See rents and COL.

gas prices - Very little difference in any of these cities. Texas in general has some of nation's cheapest gas.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,286 times
It would be nice to get answers instead . Thank you .

Old 12-04-2014, 05:48 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,640 times
To the original poster, what you're asking is mostly subjective and you give extremely limited information as to exactly what you're looking for. Try to visit the cities and you can be the judge. Sorry if I'm coming off as rude, but it's true.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:49 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
climate - Depends on your preference. SA and Houston (especially Houston) have warmer winter weather. Austin is slightly colder in the winter, but only barely. Dallas gets the coldest winters of all these cities, but it's still much warmer than the Midwest or Northeast. All four of these cities have brutally hot summers, and all four are humid. Especially Houston.

best schools - Public schools? It depends on the school district. Each city/metro has it's good districts and bad districts. Private schools? My guess is a toss-up between Houston and Dallas, since they are the biggest cities with a larger variety of schools to choose from. Higher education? Austin has UT... the largest university in the state, and one of the largest in the nation. Houston has Rice... The only ivy league in the state. UofH is on the rise as well and is much larger than Rice. Dallas has SMU... a great university itself. SA has Trinity... another fine university.

pay of jobs - Either Houston or Dallas. It depends on your field. Dallas is more IT and bankng oriented, whereas Houston is more Energy and Medical oriented. Austin has a thriving IT economy. SA is more Tourism and Military oriented.

job availability - All four cities have thriving economies and plenty of job availability.

rent amount - Austin has the highest rents overall. Houston and Dallas are roughly equal; more expensive in their central/core areas with more affordable suburban rents. SA is the cheapest of the four.

cost of living - Basically the same as above.

air quality - Dallas and Houston both have poor air quality. Especially the Southeastern part of the Greater Houston metro, where there is a high concentration of petrochemical refining. Austin and SA both have much better air quality.

fun - Again, it depends on what you call "fun". SA has the Riverwalk, many tourist attractions, and is close to some great outdoor recreation areas in the hill country. Austin is a major live music town, and has several large and well-known music festivals throughout the year. 6th Street in downtown Austin is party-central. Houston has a big Hip-Hop/Rap scene, but Houston nightlife is scattered all over the city with no one centralized nightlife district. Houston is also near the Gulf Coast. The beaches aren't the prettiest, but it's there. Dallas has a big EDM scene, and nearby Fort Worth has a lot going on in it's downtown.

house cost - See rents and COL.

gas prices - Very little difference in any of these cities. Texas in general has some of nation's cheapest gas.
Rice isn't Ivy League.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:19 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Rice isn't Ivy League.
Not in the traditional sense that more famous schools like Yale, Harvard, and Princeton are, no. "Ivy League" is a bit of an antiquated term anyway, that originally referred to an outdated football conference... so I'll rephrase:

Rice is a well above average institution for higher learning, that's one among the best universities in the world for it's Natural Sciences and Engineering programs, specializing in Economics, biochemistry, Psychology, and Mechanical Engineering.

Not exactly Community College.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:22 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
This is an awful original post.

OP....Where's your job going to be located?

What's your rental budget?

How old are the schoolchildren?

opinions in your post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejabeauty View Post
im going to be relocating to one of these cities based on my needs but need help with any available knowledge. please help me decide which will be best based upon my needs. thank you.

i want to know about:
climate - google it.
best schools - how do you define "best".?
pay of jobs - what type of job?
job availability - what industry? & where?
rent amount - in the cities you mentioned (especially in areas with good schools) it's going UP.
cost of living - less than most places, (but forget about a safety net if you don't have a job) & forget about subsidized mass transit. (& we LIKE it that way).
air quality - all areas have quality air (except when the wind isn't blowing in E. Houston)
fun - Seriously? (how would we know what you like to do?)
house cost - You're renting, & you don't have a job. (next!)
gas prices - lower than most places.
Don't move here without a job lined up.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:06 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
In comparison to San Antonio and Austin, I feel like Houston's wetter climate gives the winter an extra pinch that you don't get in the other two. Don't let it be one of those wet and chilly days. You'll be miserable!

So from least to most comfortable I'd personally rank the winters like this

Dallas
Houston
Austin
San Antonio

Old 12-05-2014, 02:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejabeauty View Post
i want to know about
climate
best schools
pay of jobs
job availability
rent amount
cost of living
air quality
fun
house cost
gas prices
You can find almost all of that information here http://www.city-data.com/city/Texas.html

For gas prices go here GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas