Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:20 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times

Advertisements

The Cajun culture comes from Canada not France. Acadienne . Driven from the area by the British it is said because of religious reasons (Catholic vs Anglican/Church of England) but more than likely because of the strategic importance of the St. Lawrence Seaway, these French settlers of the region ended in Southern La., a French controlled region/colony.

My wife is from an area of Nouveau-Brunswick just west of here ( La Péninsule Acadienne) in Central New Brunswick and is a Babineau by birth. The Cajuns added an "X" to the end of their names but pronunciation is the same. You folks who are privileged to know, participate in, or be born into the Cajun culture know the "X". When in the Maritimes one never sees the "X". My wife's lingual French is quite different also from the Cajun and Creole.

Also, y'all be careful to differentiate between the Creole and Cajun. Their roots are quite different.

Cajun originates from the term les Acadiens, used to describe French colonists who settled in the Acadia region of Canada, consisting of present-day New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Nova Scotia. With the British conquest of Acadia in the early 1700s, the Acadians were forcibly removed from their homes in what become known as "Le Grand Dérangement," or the Great Upheaval. Many Acadians eventually settled in the swampy region of Louisiana, today known as Acadiana. This is South central and southwest La..

Creole describes the population of people who were born to settlers in French colonial Louisiana, specifically in New Orleans. In the 18th century, Creoles consisted of the descendants of the French and Spanish upper-class that ruled the city. Over the years the term grew to include native-born slaves of African descent, as well as free people of color. Typically, the term French Creole described someone of European ancestry born in the colony, and the term Louisiana Creole described someone of mixed racial ancestry.

Food differences : Creole = tomato roux and Cajun no tomato roux.

Having spent a lot of time in both places I can't for the life of me see where anyone could call Lake Charles more aesthetically pleasing. Lake Charles is quite a bit smaller, but the industrial areas are right in town. Neither town is pretty although LC has Prien Lake as an asset.

As far as Beaumont being Cajun I don't see it. The city does little to nothing to celebrate such heritage. Areas south have/had much more Cajun influence. Mid-County cities of Port Neches and Groves plus Fannett, Bridge City (Orange County), and decades ago Port Arthur were heavily influenced. Port Neches and Bridge City have histories of Cajun Festivals.

Consider yourselves a little better informed.

Last edited by BobTex; 12-16-2014 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 06:57 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
The Cajun culture comes from Canada not France. Acadienne . Driven from the area by the British it is said because of religious reasons (Catholic vs Anglican/Church of England) but more than likely because of the strategic importance of the St. Lawrence Seaway, these French settlers of the region ended in Southern La., a French controlled region/colony.

My wife is from an area of Nouveau-Brunswick just west of here ( La Péninsule Acadienne) in Central New Brunswick and is a Babineau by birth. The Cajuns added an "X" to the end of their names but pronunciation is the same. You folks who are privileged to know, participate in, or be born into the Cajun culture know the "X". When in the Maritimes one never sees the "X". My wife's lingual French is quite different also from the Cajun and Creole.

Also, y'all be careful to differentiate between the Creole and Cajun. Their roots are quite different.

Cajun originates from the term les Acadiens, used to describe French colonists who settled in the Acadia region of Canada, consisting of present-day New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Nova Scotia. With the British conquest of Acadia in the early 1700s, the Acadians were forcibly removed from their homes in what become known as "Le Grand Dérangement," or the Great Upheaval. Many Acadians eventually settled in the swampy region of Louisiana, today known as Acadiana. This is South central and southwest La..

Creole describes the population of people who were born to settlers in French colonial Louisiana, specifically in New Orleans. In the 18th century, Creoles consisted of the descendants of the French and Spanish upper-class that ruled the city. Over the years the term grew to include native-born slaves of African descent, as well as free people of color. Typically, the term French Creole described someone of European ancestry born in the colony, and the term Louisiana Creole described someone of mixed racial ancestry.

Having spent a lot of time in both places I can't for the life of me see where anyone could call Lake Charles more aesthetically pleasing. Lake Charles is quite a bit smaller, but the industrial areas are right in town. Neither town is pretty although LC has Prien Lake as an asset.

As far as Beaumont being Cajun I don't see it. The city does little to nothing to celebrate such heritage. Areas south have/had much more Cajun influence. Mid-County cities of Port Neches and Groves plus Fannett, Bridge City (Orange County), and decades ago Port Arthur were heavily influenced. Port Neches and Bridge City have histories of Cajun Festivals.

The industrial areas of Lake Charles are west of town (Westlake and Sulphur). Those areas resemble Beaumont for sure. The industrial areas of Beaumont are right downtown.

There are historical districts in Lake Charles like the Charpentier District which reminds me of the Garden District of New Orleans. Bord du Lac park, the Civic Center, Shell Beach Drive, and Lakeshore Drive are very nice. Also, as you mentioned, Prien Lake is very attractive.

Except for some suburban areas and UL Lafayette, most of Lafayette is not very attractive at all. It does, however, have a much stronger Cajun influence and much better food.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:50 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:

Consider yourself preaching to the choir, as you haven't taught me anything. I'm from the Golden Triangle.

I never said Beaumont is saturated in Cajun culture, like Lafayette, but it is there, mostly in the form of music and food. Yes it is true that it is more visible the closer you get to Sabine Lake, but that doesn't mean it's absent from BMT. Mind you, not all Cajuns are white, and many folks who consider themselves to be a part of the Cajun culture are not necessarily descended from the Acadians. I'm not Cajun myself but I am descended from Creoles who also crossed over into Texas in the 1800s.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:56 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:
Nope. You said nothing I didn't already know.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
This is downtown Lake Charles (Bord Du Lac Park). You call that ugly?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...b98dd6b9a77382
I call that unimpressive. I really don't see how Lake Charles is soooo much prettier than Beaumont. Sorry, but they just don't seem very different to me. Lake Charles may be slightly nicer... by like half a notch, but that's like saying Baytown is prettier than Pasadena. The differences are so miniscule that it's pretty much moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Except for some suburban areas and UL Lafayette, most of Lafayette is not very attractive at all. It does, however, have a much stronger Cajun influence and much better food.
If you think Lake Charles is nicer or prettier than Lafayette, well then I don't know what to tell you. That's your opinion, and you're welcome to it... but most people I know who have any knowledge of the area would be very quick to disagree.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:47 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I call that unimpressive. I really don't see how Lake Charles is soooo much prettier than Beaumont. Sorry, but they just don't seem very different to me. Lake Charles may be slightly nicer... by like half a notch, but that's like saying Baytown is prettier than Pasadena. The differences are so miniscule that it's pretty much moot.

If you think Lake Charles is nicer or prettier than Lafayette, well then I don't know what to tell you. That's your opinion, and you're welcome to it... but most people I know who have any knowledge of the area would be very quick to disagree.
Likewise, most people who are familiar with both Lake Charles and Beaumont would tell you that one is easily better looking than the other. It's noticeable enough that it isn't moot. But this is all opinion and arguing over opinions is pointless.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Likewise, most people who are familiar with both Lake Charles and Beaumont would tell you that one is easily better looking than the other. It's noticeable enough that it isn't moot. But this is all opinion and arguing over opinions is pointless.
Isn't "arguing over opinions" basically the hallmark of C-D forums?

Yes, these are all just opinions. My opinion is coming from the non-biased viewpoint of someone who's not from any of these places, but has spent time in all of them. I'm not just spouting off with homer pride. The OP's main question was "Is Beaumont like Stockton, CA?". So, back to that point, my opinion is that yes... in many ways Beaumont is to Texas what Stockton is to California. However, I can think of a few other small TX cities that are only barely behind Beaumont in that department.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:55 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times
I heard Beaumont ISD has made a reputation for itself recently, not sure how it compares to schools in Stockton or Louisiana.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:01 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times
Also with a job in Stockton, if you had the money and were willing to commute an hour or so, you could still live in far east SF Bay area metro, places like Pittsburg or Antoich. Not sure if those are better.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:16 PM

525 posts, read 718,929 times
Quote:
Don't move there with your kids ... you'd want to live in an outlying school district. Beaumont ISD has had all kinds of illegal activities, missing monies, and has had the district management taken over by the state.

Beaumont ISD Raided by FBI

I work in Beaumont but live 50 miles away. The ghetto parts of the town are a decaying rustbelt but there are plenty of nice parts. I consider it (Beaumont) a mini-Houston.
I see your post saying to steer clear of Beaumont School District.

How are the school districts for Lumberton, Groves, Nederland, Bridge City, & Port Arthur? Which is the best of all? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas