Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 06:20 AM

8 posts, read 13,449 times

Advertisements

Here is some insight into Beaumont's situation. Things are not as they seem. The high unemployment rate for at least 35 years is because the unemployed like it here. They stay put. Other places where the unemployment rate is low, such as BryanCS Aggieland area the unemployed have to leave or move on.

The problem with the schools in Bmt is that some administrators got caught with them hands in the cookie jar, etc so a committee of managers was assigned to act instead of the Board of Education that was elected. They are doing a good job for now, hired new superintendent. The problem with the schools was a short term shortage of funds, etc. Not the teaching, teachers, students, buildings. The teachers are a teaching and the students are a learning and there are 7 new buildings for elementary schools that remind me of the building at Rice University in Houston.

There are two sides of town. East was built before 1955. West was built after 1955. 11th street is a type of major N to S street. The Interstate 10 goes over. Houston in one direction, west, Lake Charles in the other direction, east.

Now if you are an industrial worker, I am not understanding why you would not like Industrial. The only odor I have ever detected in Beaumont was that of money called oil (black gold). Old money is the east side of town, New money is the west side of town. That refinery odor is perfume compared to Pasadena near Houston.

Now there are many small towns and all are good. If you want to live in a city with city features, that is Bmt. If you turn up your nose at such, go to a small town. Industry usually produces good tax money, so good tax money goes hand in hand with good schools.

These replies I have read about Beaumont that are negative made me LOL. Sounded like Ber Rabbit in the Briar Patch. They are trying to keep outsiders or Yankees or someone such as that out of our great little city we got here. Beaumont is the best place between Houston and New Orleans. Cost of living is about ten percent below the average of the nation, as is Houston. Also Aggieland. Hot weather breaks on Oct 15. Winter arrives day after New Years Day. Spring starts March 2 on Texas Independents Day. Summer on June 1.

You got kids? Lamar Univ in just great. Make them live at home when they get that age and save a bundle. Do not listen to that think all kids everywhere pull about gripping about the home town college. It is the parents they are trying to get away from so they can do their own thing.

During the economic downturn of 1987 Houston was hard hit because it was mostlyl oil based and all the renters, snow birds and lay off last one in first one out folks who hard small equity in their houses due to being YOUNG had to bail out. Created lots of vacant houses and apartment units. Lost savings, etc. The upside of that, if there was one, was less traffic on freeways, traffic jams and crazy driving by new comers and Yankees. They were gone to where ever they went. I lost my rent houses and one third of my savings and so did many others. Houston is less of an oil based economy. Beaumont, on the other hand has remained about the same in employment rate, population, etc for the 75 years I have been a student of it. About 116,000 in pop. Texas was ask by the leadership of Hispanics long ago to report its numbers separately. So, don't try to compare last 40 years with prior, not the same reporting method. All manner of data is available if you will just look on Jefferson County information.

I am going to quit now. No end to what could be said and I am amazed you even ask. Best regards, T in Bmt, Tx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 690 times
Default To the OP..

All that aside.. NO. it's not like any place in California. If you like it there, you will hate it here.. The summers are ungodly hot and wet, the winters are hot and wet, mosquitos will carry you off and feed on you until you die, even in winter. It's like Florida with brown water, dirty beaches and flesh eating Bactria, surrounded by swampland and petrochemical plants that have been operating for 100 years ..

This is a god forsaken place mostly inhabited by those hardy souls that are either bound to the oil industry, or those without the means to move somewhere else. If you were to give the USA an enema this is exactly where I would place the tube..

The economy here is the one bright spot. If you have the ambition, you can make a good living here, and the people are kind, good natured, hard working folks. The food is outstanding, although it will send you to an early grave.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:10 PM

716 posts, read 539,606 times
then a catheters insertion place is Niland Calif ( salton sea )

Old 01-27-2017, 09:02 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
I see your post saying to steer clear of Beaumont School District.

How are the school districts for Lumberton, Groves, Nederland, Bridge City, & Port Arthur? Which is the best of all? Just curious.
TOP 5 IMO:

1) Bridge City
2) Lumberton
3) Port Neches-Groves
4) Nederland
5) Orangefield

Beaumont, Port Arthur, and West Orange-Stark are the ones to avoid.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:12 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
I would not want to personally live in Beaumont but I have lived in a refinery town before so maybe it wouldnt be so bad.I dont think it would be much like California.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:20 PM

3 posts, read 880 times
Dont move to Beaumont TX, it is polluted with refinery's and the air stinks here, the school district sucks, its trashy and everywhere you turn around you see trash laying on the ground, on the streets, and roadways, highways it suxs here nothing to do, they had very good business close short stop, long John silvers, toys r us and babys r us but they also built alot of new business too Beaumont doesn't keep business, parkdale mall sucks theres only one mall in town, air quality isnt good, high crime rate here in Beaumont it is considered the most dangerous city! I will be glad to move from here I'm moving to north Texas and not coming back to Beaumont, it had nothing here for me, leaving in may or June I cant waityou will hate it here.. The summers are ungodly hot and wet, the winters are hot and wet, mosquitos will carry you off and feed on you until you die, even in winter. It's like Florida with brown water, dirty beaches and flesh eating Bactria, surrounded by swampland and petrochemical plants that have been operating for 100 years .. this is a refinery town the only decent place to live is the west end and its concedabally high the north, and south ends are ghetto and everything by the port is the plant it stinks and theres nothing down there unless you live down there or you work at the plant

Old 05-01-2019, 02:29 PM

3 posts, read 880 times
swear the only thing I love about Beaumont is my FAMILY who lives there. That's IT! Everything else, I HATE IT!

Old 05-01-2019, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 880 times
Don't even get me started on the schools! I attend West Brook High School and the AP's are big fat JOKES, the teachers don't know how to teach what so ever and they're very unprofessional! NONE of the high schools in Beaumont has school spirit at ALL! The other two high schools in Beaumont which is Ozen and Central are SOOOO GHETTO!!!!! West Brook is STUCK UP and has lots of cliques. Whoever drives a BMW, Mercedes-Benz, or Escalade and lives in the West End of Beaumont is considered "rich" because Beaumont is so small and most of the city is covered with the projects, refineries, or the country. Beaumont is just a BIG HUGE JOKE!!!!!! I just can't WAIT to move to the Houston Area in June 2013 so I can be FAAAAAAAR AWAY FROM THIS TOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-01-2019, 08:51 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,353 times
Quote:
Beaumont is just a BIG HUGE JOKE!!!!!! I just can't WAIT to move to the Houston Area in June 2013 so I can be FAAAAAAAR AWAY FROM THIS TOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Sir/Madam,

We are interested in your time machine. We're willing to facilitate your desire to move FAAAAAAAR AWAY, in exchange, as payment. If you feel this arrangement is satisfactory, please do let us know at your earliest convenience?

P.S. Are you sure Houston is far away enough? Our measurements indicate it can be accomplished by walking, in a much shorter time frame than it would take to send you to a place, really, far, far away...Perhaps a different galaxy would be a good fit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas